Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Matt Forte instead of Trent Richardson? « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#60 : April 15, 2012, 01:47:10 AM

What's the Bucs current cap #?  Do they have enough room to give Forte the kind of contract that is going to make him happy?

They have around 18mil IIRC.   They could always structure it where its not a huge cap hit in the first year if they really wanted the guy.

Bucko40

Hall of Famer

#61 : April 15, 2012, 01:18:19 PM

Matt Forte is only 26 so I guess I'd be ok with it but only if Richardson is gone by the 5th pick. Richardson will be 22 in July and if he's as gone as some claim then he's the Bucs RB for the next 8 years.  Forte is a one contract guy that is here for 3-4 years. And let's hope he doesn't pull a Derrick Ward and takes the money and disappears after he signs a big money contract.

Bucko40

Hall of Famer

#62 : April 15, 2012, 01:30:58 PM

Very disappointed in the Commish on this one. The Bears can't give away what they don't have. Bears gave away both their 3rd round picks to Miami for Brandon Marshall. 

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#63 : April 15, 2012, 06:44:08 PM

Matt Forte is only 26 so I guess I'd be ok with it but only if Richardson is gone by the 5th pick. Richardson will be 22 in July and if he's as gone as some claim then he's the Bucs RB for the next 8 years.  Forte is a one contract guy that is here for 3-4 years. And let's hope he doesn't pull a Derrick Ward and takes the money and disappears after he signs a big money contract.

COmmish has a full-time gig now ,apparently that takes away from his time to do his homework.  ;)

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

NYC Bucs Fan

Starter

#64 : April 15, 2012, 09:44:18 PM

Adam Schefter ‏ @AdamSchefter
Bears running back Matt Forte, Chicago's franchise player, is not expected to report to the start of the team's voluntary workouts Monday.

The plot thickens....

bashear

Hall of Famer

#65 : April 15, 2012, 09:53:37 PM

Bears running back Matt Forte, Chicago's franchise player, is not expected to report to the start of the team's voluntary workouts Monday.

The plot thickens....
How many guys who don't participate in voluntary workouts because of contractual demands wind up getting traded? How many eventually play that season with their team? I mean, if we're looking to get holdouts, let's skip to the front of the line and get Brees.

timbuc1021

Pro Bowler
#66 : April 15, 2012, 09:58:37 PM

Very disappointed in the Commish on this one. The Bears can't give away what they don't have. Bears gave away both their 3rd round picks to Miami for Brandon Marshall.

They gave away 1 this year, #73 and 1 in 2013.  They still have #79 this year.

bucfan26

Pro Bowler
#67 : April 16, 2012, 05:45:53 PM

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--lingering-nfl-offseason-issues--best-available-free-agents-and-winners-losers.html

"Yahoo Sports' Jason Cole predicts that the offseason standoff between unsigned franchise player Matt Forte and the Bears is "going to be ugly." Per Cole, Forte wants to be paid "along the lines of Adrian Peterson or Chris Johnson," but the Bears are only willing to pay Forte like "an average runner." If the contract divide is as large as Cole suggests, we wouldn't be surprised to see Forte floated in draft-weekend trade offers. Michael Bush is a capable starter, and Kahlil Bell could easily be a workable backup"

gone

Hall of Famer
#68 : April 16, 2012, 05:50:18 PM

The plot thickens....
How many guys who don't participate in voluntary workouts because of contractual demands wind up getting traded? How many eventually play that season with their team? I mean, if we're looking to get holdouts, let's skip to the front of the line and get Brees.

They have been dropping turds in his Cheerios for a while now, no way does he play for them, he'll sit the year out IMO rather than take the field for them.  It's absolutely disgusting how they're treating hi..  He has a lot more leverage than I think a lot of guys who sit do too.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#69 : April 16, 2012, 05:53:26 PM

He has no leverage and he is getting older.

He will suit up and like it. 

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#70 : April 16, 2012, 06:40:33 PM

Hell, he is only 26, B-man.

He could threaten to sit out the year, and Da Bears could work a draft day trade to try to get something out of an ugly situation.

gone

Hall of Famer
#71 : April 16, 2012, 06:45:14 PM

1: He's one of the best in the game, someone will be willing to give something for him.
2: He's a public relations nightmare for the Bears right now, nobody is on their side.
3: The Bears think they are a "Win Now" team, they will Do what they can to get something for him rather than let him sit.
4: He can sit for a year and still get a nice contract somewhere else in 2013 if he wants to.

JMHO.

Havok904

Pro Bowler

#72 : April 16, 2012, 08:21:41 PM

That trade wouldn't make any sense...

The Bucs could draft a RB in the first that's younger and cheaper in the first round....

Kuechly in the first round, *Censored* no....

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#73 : April 16, 2012, 08:32:31 PM

1: He's one of the best in the game, someone will be willing to give something for him.
2: He's a public relations nightmare for the Bears right now, nobody is on their side.
3: The Bears think they are a "Win Now" team, they will Do what they can to get something for him rather than let him sit.
4: He can sit for a year and still get a nice contract somewhere else in 2013 if he wants to.

JMHO.
A 27 year old running back out of the league for a year for sitting out a contract dispute is not likely to get top dollar market value.  And other teams will most likely be hesitant to give up a second rounder (which is all he will fetch at best, IMO) for a RB that has been leaned on as much as he has.

The league is trending towards shying away from paying these guys massive contracts, unless you are a meathead and give Chris Johnson monies to the guy.  Wonder how the Titans feel about that now?  I still think it was absurd to give up that much money to a slight RB like Johnson.

Don't get me wrong.  I DO agree that Forte is an absolute stallion.  He has proven his value over and over again, and the Bears ownership is playing games with the poor guy.  But they will never meet his salary demands, and they shouldn't.  He will taper off quickly as a result of massive overuse.  Would I mind if the BUcs used a second for him?  Nope.  The BUcs need to shore up that defense though.  I couldn't stand watching those chumps get dragged up and down the field like so much fluff...but a player of Fortes caliber would make the decision to part with RD2 palatable.

But damn do they need a linebacker, and I hated the idea of Lavonte David at first, but the more I watch his youtube stuff, the more I read about him, the more I want this kid in Pewter.

Page: 1 ... 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Matt Forte instead of Trent Richardson? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools