Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Wolf Heard's 7 round mock « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 7

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: April 15, 2012, 12:54:27 AM

Tampa Bay Buccaneers 2012 7-Round Mock Draft

April 14th, 2012 at 11:00 AM
By Wolf Heard

Buccaneers101.com 2012 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 7-round Mock Draft

Round 1 Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU
 With the recent release of safety Tanard Jackson, the Buccaneers need help in the secondary now more than ever. Add in the fact that Tampa Bay plays in the pass-happy NFC South against quarterbacks Drew Brees, Matt Ryan, and Cam Newton, and Claiborne becomes a no-brainer pick for the Bucs.

The speedy, shutdown corner for LSU is the consensus top defensive back in the draft. He is excellent in man-to-man coverage and dominated some of the best receivers the SEC threw at him. Claiborne has tremendous hands and plays the ball very well when it's in the air. He has the ability to turn into a Darrelle Revis-type cornerback that can shutdown an entire side of the field.

In his last two seasons with the Tigers, Claiborne intercepted 11 passes, had 12 passes defensed, and scored one touchdown. He can also help Tampa Bay's return game as he averaged 25.1 yards on 22 kickoffs with one touchdown.

With new defensive backs coach Ron Cooper, who coached Claiborne at LSU, now holding the same position with the Bucs, the team should be very comfortable drafting Claiborne with the No. 5 overall pick.

Round 2 Lavonte David, LB, Nebraska
 The Bucs are in desperate need of a starting weakside linebacker and David fits that need quite nicely. Part of the reason the Bucs decide not to re-sign Geno Hayes is because of his poor play against the run. If the Bucs land David, they won't have that problem. The 6-foot-1, 225-pound David is an extremely reliable run stuffer and a tackling machine.

As a senior, David was insanely productive on the field and put up some monster numbers. He racked up 133 tackles, 12 tackles for a loss, 5.5 sacks, three forced fumbles, and two interceptions.

If new head coach Greg Schiano keeps the traditional 4-3 defense, David will be an excellent fit for the Bucs and will likely start from day one. He will give the Bucs a consistent and punishing presence on the weakside, which is something they haven't had since Derrick Brooks was still wearing pewter and red.

Round 3 Mitchell Schwartz, OT, California
 The Bucs have a pretty imposing offensive line with Donald Penn, Carl Nicks, Jeremy Zuttah, and Davin Joseph. Three of those four are Pro Bowlers and the other (Zuttah) is a quality player that can play every position along the O-line. The weak link comes at right tackle, where veteran Jeremy Trueblood currently resides. Trueblood is in the last year of his contract and the Bucs must get his eventual replacement in this draft.

Schwartz looks to be an ideal option for Tampa Bay at the top of the third round. The 6-foot-5, 315-pound Schwartz was a constant fixture along Cal's offensive line and started 51 games during his collegiate career (35 at left tackle, 16 at right tackle). He plays with a wide base, has good agility, and a powerful upper body. All of those traits will help him succeed that the next level.

Selecting Schwartz this year will allow him to add more bulk and size during his rookie year and give him the chance to learn behind Trueblood before taking over in 2013.

Round 4 No pick

MISTY MCELROY/Reuters/Fotoglif

Round 5 Chris Rainey, RB, Florida
 Tampa Bay lacks a true change-of-pace running back and can land a very good one in the fifth round by selecting Florida's Chris Rainey. The talented Gator is a true do-it-all player that can help the Bucs with his game-breaking speed. The 5-foot-8, 180-pound Rainey can line up all over the field and will give the Bucs a threat that can score on any given play.

Rainey ran a 4.37 40-yard dash at his Florida pro day and used that speed to be very successful during his collegiate career. Rainey finished his career as UF's ninth-leading rusher with 2,464 yards and scored 13 touchdowns on the ground. Rainey was also a beast catching passes out of the backfield and in the slot; amassing 69 receptions for 795 yards and six touchdowns during his career.

Aside from helping the Bucs on offense, Rainey can be a massive help on special teams. At Florida, he blocked a school and SEC record six punts and is an outstanding return man. For his career, he averaged 25.2 yards per kickoff return and 9.0 yards per punt return with two touchdowns.

Round 6 Janzen Jackson, S, McNeese St
 Once considered one of the top defensive backs in the SEC while at Tennessee, Jackson had his fair share of off-the-field issues that led to his dismissal from the Volunteers' football program. He was suspended as a freshman for violating team rules and was arrested along with two other teammates for attempted armed robbery, but the charges were later dropped.

Still, despite the character concerns, there is no denying Jackson's talent on the field. The 6-foot, 187-pound Jackson had a great sophomore season with Tennessee; racking up 65 tackles, five interceptions, 11 passes defensed, and a sack. His biggest strength is his ability to cover and he plays the ball extremely well.

At McNeese St., Jackson played safety and corner and intercepted three passes last season. Tampa Bay would get a steal in Jackson this late in the draft.

Round 7 Terrance Ganaway, RB, Baylor
 While most of the country had their eyes on Heisman Trophy winner Robert Griffin III, it was Ganaway who stole the show in Baylor's wild, high scoring Alamo Bowl win. The big, brusing Ganaway rushed for 200 yards and five touchdowns; one of which went for 89 yards against Washington in that game. He finished the season with a school record 1,547 rushing yards and 21 touchdowns.

Things won't quite be so easy for him in the NFL, but Ganoway does have the skills to succeed at the next level. He is a powerful, downhill runner much like LeGarrette Blount and is a tough to bring down in the open field. He won't be much use on special teams or as a receiver, but Ganaway would give the Bucs another bulldozing back to keep Blount as fresh as possible.

fabsrubio

Rookie

#1 : April 15, 2012, 01:05:20 AM

Switch ganaway for burfict and this is the perfect draft

fabsrubio

Rookie

#2 : April 15, 2012, 01:06:04 AM

I could also see us going Peas or LMJ in 3rd and maybe Darko in the 5th

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
#3 : April 15, 2012, 01:13:32 AM

I'm not taking a RT in the 3rd.  They'll be able to survive with True, but there is NO WAY you survive by not taking a RB til the 7th.

If the first 2 play out that way, I'm taking Robert Turbin    or Isaiah Pead in the 3rd.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#4 : April 15, 2012, 01:34:54 AM

I like it.   I know Rainey is pretty small, but we could use a return guy.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#5 : April 15, 2012, 02:07:18 AM

They'll be able to survive with True, but there is NO WAY you survive by not taking a RB til the 7th.

Couldn't agree more.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

CaptainStagger

Hall of Famer
#6 : April 15, 2012, 02:45:40 AM

The 3rd round pick threw allot of it off but nailed 1 and 2. Curious to see if James, Kendricks, or Harrison Smith make it to pick #68.

Tampa-Two

Hall of Famer

#7 : April 15, 2012, 06:02:45 AM

I'm not taking a RT in the 3rd.  They'll be able to survive with True, but there is NO WAY you survive by not taking a RB til the 7th.

If the first 2 play out that way, I'm taking Robert Turbin    or Isaiah Pead in the 3rd.
Hear hear.

Im not really high on Turbin or Pead, but if we were to take Lavonte David in the second instead of Doug Martin(or if hes not there) we need to pick a rb in the third.

Ramonb

Pro Bowler

#8 : April 15, 2012, 06:47:56 AM

I thought Rainey was faster with all the hype about his speed....was expecting in 4.2s.

buchead

Hall of Famer

#9 : April 15, 2012, 07:45:42 AM

I thought Rainey was faster with all the hype about his speed....was expecting in 4.2s.
the thing about Rainey though is he actually plays at  4.3. He has what is called game speed. He is always going to be a step faster than the guy chasing him. Thats why he was able to beat Demps in a foot race. If Demps wasnt training for the olympics he probably would've had a better 40 time even though he was never able to beat Rainey in a race. Guys whos game is centered around speed rarely run the 40 time you'd expect. They just have this "you ain't catching me"game speed that can't be turned on for a40 yard dash. The perfect example is Devin Hester. He ran a 4.4 at the combine. But I think its safe to say he isn't a 4.4 guy on game day. This is why allot of teams and even fans don't put to much stock in 40 times. For instance Quincy black ran a 4.4 also. Never see it on game day. Even when he is chasing after guys I don't get this wow is he fast  feeling. Line him up and tell him to race Devin Hester. Two 4.4 guys but we all know the outcome of that race.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#10 : April 15, 2012, 07:52:22 AM

Hear hear.

Im not really high on Turbin or Pead, but if we were to take Lavonte David in the second instead of Doug Martin(or if hes not there) we need to pick a rb in the third.

+2

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

shawn731

Starter

#11 : April 15, 2012, 08:02:17 AM

The first two picks are on point.  And to be honest you can't complain about picking up a OT in the 3rd.  But I understand the uncertainty of picking up a rb late in the draft.  One position that im a little concerned with is C.  I beleive Zuttah is more than capable, but who backs him up.  That is a disater in the making wihout a backup.  Im not saying draft someone but I hope we don't go into TC with only 1 C.  But I hope the teams doesnt reach for players and let things fall where they may.

nitey

Hall of Famer
#12 : April 15, 2012, 08:07:17 AM

Heard has us taking 2 RB's in the draft. He gives us Rainey in the 5th.

Actually, this would be a pretty good draft IMO if it plays out this way. I'm not high on either of the two reserve tackles we have on the team and Schwartz could offer Trueblood some real competition in training camp. However, unless there isn't anyone the really like at the RB position left in the 3rd (and I find that a little hard to believe at this point), I think the Bucs go RB in the 3rd and offensive tackle in the 5th. I also wouldn't be surprised to see us trade a player on the roster on draft day to get us back that 4th round pick we are missing this year. Candidates to be traded during the draft are Winslow, either Benn or M. Williams, maybe Roy Miller.

JMO.

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

XFactor

Hall of Famer

#13 : April 15, 2012, 08:12:03 AM

Schwartz is right up there with Massie as far as RT prospects.. Plenty of backup RBs still out there. Still rather take Wilson in the second and a LB in the third but this draft would be pretty sweet.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#14 : April 15, 2012, 08:13:36 AM

Heard has us taking 2 RB's in the draft. He gives us Rainey in the 5th.

Which is a terrible pick , BTW. I'm a Gator fan and trust me he sucks. He's nothing but another Noel Devine - but big enough to have any impact on the next level , and not as fast as he was hyped to be . I wouldn't take a flyer on him until round 7.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Wolf Heard's 7 round mock « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools