Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Wolf Heard's 7 round mock « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#30 : April 15, 2012, 11:59:08 AM

I like Rounds 1 & 2, but a tackle in the 3rd?? We don't NEED to upgrade Trueblood, it would be nice but not necessary. We do NEED a RB and the 3rd is a good place to get a LMJ or Pead or Turbin.

I like the idea of getting Rainey, but not at R5, I think 6 or 7 would be a better value. I think Rainey could be a ST ace in both returns and coverage (he has 6 blocked punts). But I don't see him as more than a gimmick 2-3 snaps a game RB/WR. 

The thing about Rainey is that he would look so great against terrible teams like Florida Atlantic or Alabama-Birmingham , and then against good teams like LSU or Alabama he would be completely ineffective. Completely. To compare him to Sproles I think he'd have needed to show more in the passing game at least , and Rainey never showed as much in that area as you would expect from a player like him. He's a very average reciever at best. Again , I think Noel Devine is the better comparision.

I wouldn't compare him to Sproles. Sproles is more complete and much better at taking on defenders head-on. Would not compare him to Devine either. I think if you must compare I'd say Devin Hester IF he was an offensive player (and Chicago did have him play WR for awhile when they were desperate. It didn't work)

If he was actually as fast as Hester I might even condone the pick. He's not. He's only a 4.4 guy  - not good enough if you are a complete smurf.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#31 : April 15, 2012, 12:07:59 PM

I like Rounds 1 & 2, but a tackle in the 3rd?? We don't NEED to upgrade Trueblood, it would be nice but not necessary. We do NEED a RB and the 3rd is a good place to get a LMJ or Pead or Turbin.

I like the idea of getting Rainey, but not at R5, I think 6 or 7 would be a better value. I think Rainey could be a ST ace in both returns and coverage (he has 6 blocked punts). But I don't see him as more than a gimmick 2-3 snaps a game RB/WR. 

The thing about Rainey is that he would look so great against terrible teams like Florida Atlantic or Alabama-Birmingham , and then against good teams like LSU or Alabama he would be completely ineffective. Completely. To compare him to Sproles I think he'd have needed to show more in the passing game at least , and Rainey never showed as much in that area as you would expect from a player like him. He's a very average reciever at best. Again , I think Noel Devine is the better comparision.

I wouldn't compare him to Sproles. Sproles is more complete and much better at taking on defenders head-on. Would not compare him to Devine either. I think if you must compare I'd say Devin Hester IF he was an offensive player (and Chicago did have him play WR for awhile when they were desperate. It didn't work)

If he was actually as fast as Hester I might even condone the pick. He's not. He's only a 4.4 guy  - not good enough if you are a complete smurf.

Hence my caveat in bold. If he can return kicks, be a gunner, and block a couple punts, then he is certainly worth a 6th or 7th since 90% of those R6-7 guys don't even make a roster.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#32 : April 15, 2012, 12:12:22 PM

Hence my caveat in bold. If he can return kicks, be a gunner, and block a couple punts, then he is certainly worth a 6th or 7th since 90% of those R6-7 guys don't even make a roster.

Agree, who the heck is going to return kicks?   We need a guy like him.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#33 : April 15, 2012, 12:17:24 PM

Preston Parker does an adequate job. Most kicks are touchbacks these days anyways , so it doesn't really justify having a roster spot for a guy who can do nothing but return kicks. 

I'm not against giving Rainey a look in the 7th round , but Wolf's 5th round pick is too early  , IMO.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#34 : April 15, 2012, 12:19:36 PM

Devin Hester has been a regular receiver for the Bears nearly since he came in the league, including two years in which he was their leading receiver. He's expected to be the #2 WR in the upcoming season. Not sure why you would apparently think Hester hasn't been an offensive player.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#35 : April 15, 2012, 12:38:16 PM

Preston Parker does an adequate job. Most kicks are touchbacks these days anyways , so it doesn't really justify having a roster spot for a guy who can do nothing but return kicks. 

I'm not against giving Rainey a look in the 7th round , but Wolf's 5th round pick is too early  , IMO.

If you just want adequate, then the status quo will suit you fine.  I would prefer someone electric back there, someone who has a chance to take it to the house every time he touches the ball. And while kickoff returns have been reduced there are still plenty of punt return opportunities.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#36 : April 15, 2012, 12:40:47 PM

The first two picks might very well be reality but the rest of this mock is so horrible it actually makes me mad. If we go CB and LB in the first two rounds, we will go RB in the 3rdfirst without a doubt.

Draft Aaron Donald

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#37 : April 15, 2012, 12:43:57 PM

The first two picks might very well be reality but the rest of this mock is so horrible it actually makes me mad. If we go CB and LB in the first two rounds, we will go RB in the 3rdfirst without a doubt.

That goes against the BPA philosophy.  If the 3rd rolls around and there are better players available you are going to force a RB pick?

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#38 : April 15, 2012, 12:53:20 PM

That goes against the BPA philosophy.  If the 3rd rolls around and there are better players available you are going to force a RB pick?

Yes. We saw what happens last year when you have no depth at running back. You depend heavily on turds like Lumpkin and it's painful to watch. Schiano wants to run alot. We have to get at least one solid RB to pair with Blount. Maybe we trade back in the 3rdday to get a 4th...but we can't wait until the5th to get a RB.

Draft Aaron Donald

sharp2325

Starter

#39 : April 15, 2012, 12:56:00 PM

Pead in the 3rd, he can be the change of pace back, he can split out to the slot and he can punt and kick return. I like the Gannoway pick in the 7th. I think he could be a steal in the 7th.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#40 : April 15, 2012, 01:00:12 PM

Yes. We saw what happens last year when you have no depth at running back. You depend heavily on turds like Lumpkin and it's painful to watch. Schiano wants to run alot. We have to get at least one solid RB to pair with Blount. Maybe we trade back in the 3rdday to get a 4th...but we can't wait until the5th to get a RB.

A little off topic but Fleener  [in your sig]  is not much of a blocking TE is he?  I think Schiano would want a better blocking TE if wanted a TE at all.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

Naismith

Hall of Famer
#41 : April 15, 2012, 01:00:38 PM

I think the Bucs aren't sure what the breakdown of their draft will be and won't make a RB move until after it plays out. That said, I could see them not taking a RB (or at least not a RB in the first three rounds) and filling the backup role with one of the available free agents.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#42 : April 15, 2012, 01:08:37 PM

We need a guy that can contribute but also adds depth if Blount is hurt. Chris Rainey is a 175lbs slot receiver. Can't carry the load by any means.

If we don't get Richardson or Martin...then we need to use our 3rd on a RB like Pead, Turbin, Poole, Miller, or Polk.

Draft Aaron Donald

sharp2325

Starter

#43 : April 15, 2012, 01:08:47 PM

If the Bucs don't draft at least one RB in this draft they are stupid. I think in a couple years we will look back at this draft as one of the strongest for RB's. If we miss out im going to be pissed.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#44 : April 15, 2012, 01:08:51 PM

I think the Bucs aren't sure what the breakdown of their draft will be and won't make a RB move until after it plays out. That said, I could see them not taking a RB (or at least not a RB in the first three rounds) and filling the backup role with one of the available free agents.

Agree with that.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Wolf Heard's 7 round mock « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools