Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 1% of the population owns the majority of the wealth in this country « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 11

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

: April 16, 2012, 03:45:15 PM

I read somewhere that only 3% make over 100,000.
Why so little?
In this country with infinte opportunity and unlimted access to resources to educate and improve oneself, why are these numbers so disproportionate?
I dont know anyone who if given the option would choose a salary of 20,000 over 160,000 so why arent there more well of people than poor people?

I was raised in a low income, single parent home and have experienced all that it has to offer(or lack of) but I always wanted more and personally drive myself to succeed.
I cant for the life of me understand how some of my family and friends are ok with simply meeting the ends while stressing and complaining about lack when abundance is all around us.

Whats really frustrating is when the subject comes up and ppl get sensative and defensive and say things like "money isn't everything".
Who ever said it was everything?

philosophy is questions that may never be answered
religion is answers that may never be questioned

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#1 : April 16, 2012, 04:49:20 PM

In this country with infinte opportunity and unlimted access to resources to educate and improve oneself, why are these numbers so disproportionate?
I dont know anyone who if given the option would choose a salary of 20,000 over 160,000

Of course in a Vaccum no one would chose the $20,000 but people also aren't willing to go through the schooling, obtain the debt, go forward based on the idea that there is no way they can fail. That's hard and much easier for us all to accept our days of getting by uncomfortably.

There are plenty of ways to make a lot of money in this country but it comes at a cost. In order to be a rich person, and let's say rich is a single person making over 160,000 a year, they have to be among the best in their field, have relentless focus, be willing to work longer than anyone else and potentially lose everything around you.

Look at the 1% of people who own a majority of the wealth, very few have had it given to them.

I don't make over $160,000 a year or even close to it. In today's age people want to work 40 hrs a week and go home. Many may say how hard they'll work to make it but very very few have the dedication to do it day after day, month after month and year after year.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

OneTruth

Pro Bowler

#2 : April 16, 2012, 05:28:39 PM

business must be your religion if you want to be in the 1%. you gotta eat it, you gotta sleep it, you gotta breathe it. You must get up earlier and stay later than your competition. you must think of how to improve your business constantly...and never ever allow for failure. You must overcome and succeed against all odds! It IS the NEW RELIGION of SECULAR AMERICA!

LADIES and GENTLEMEN I PRESENT TO YOU... .... ... the american dream.

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

#3 : April 16, 2012, 05:55:47 PM

Business is just a model to take your passions and/or desires from thought to the market place.

If you find something you're passionate about, eating it, sleeping it, breathing it, and refusing to accept failure doesn't seem like a chore.

spartan

Hall of Famer
#4 : April 16, 2012, 06:05:46 PM

business must be your religion if you want to be in the 1%. you gotta eat it, you gotta sleep it, you gotta breathe it. You must get up earlier and stay later than your competition. you must think of how to improve your business constantly...and never ever allow for failure. You must overcome and succeed against all odds! It IS the NEW RELIGION of SECULAR AMERICA!

LADIES and GENTLEMEN I PRESENT TO YOU... .... ... the american dream.

Incorrect - again.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#5 : April 16, 2012, 06:18:50 PM

http://www.mybudget360.com/how-much-does-the-average-american-make-breaking-down-the-us-household-income-numbers/

Perhaps a bit low according to this site - but the message is still appropriate. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

OneTruth

Pro Bowler

#6 : April 16, 2012, 06:37:33 PM

the root of all evil - the LOVE of money.

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

#7 : April 16, 2012, 06:44:57 PM

http://www.mybudget360.com/how-much-does-the-average-american-make-breaking-down-the-us-household-income-numbers/

Perhaps a bit low according to this site - but the message is still appropriate.
That article paints the picture well. I'm not saying everyone is supposed to go out and hustle their head bald trying to make a million. Some people make 30,000 and live more comfortable than someone making 200,000.
My beef is with the attitude toward the wealthy as if it's a VIP club or something. Everyone's invited to the party!

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#8 : April 16, 2012, 06:46:20 PM

I don't   disagree with you wreck - not a bit. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Col. Klink

Pro Bowler

#9 : April 16, 2012, 06:48:19 PM

the root of all love- the EVIL of money.

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

#10 : April 16, 2012, 07:04:01 PM

the root of all evil - the LOVE of money.
I don't love money. I love the things I do. Me and my wife have several projects we are always working on.
We clocked a cool 9,200(rounded) on couples cooking classes last year. It's something we are very proud of b/c we do it not for the money but for the networking and I had no idea we made that much considering we only do it maybe 3 nights a weelk. It's fun, we meet new people, and it's fun! The kicker is...neither one of us have a culinary background. Just recipes off the internet and a kitchen we rent 2-3 nights a week.
I totally agree that the love of money is the root of all evil. If you're motivated simply by the money, you end up alone and depressed.
I'm so involved in my family and our projects that the thought of money doesn't occur to me until tax season.
My 11 yr old daughter and her cousins want to record a song. While her cousins think about the lyrics and routine, my daughter is already thinking about how to market it. She's coaching them on what the market wants to hear and see. She's thinking about whats appealing to the listener/viewers. That's thinking outside the box and it may not inspire you but it sure as hell inspires me.

"To those who have he gives, to those that don't he taketh away"

pewtersurf

Hall of Famer
#11 : April 16, 2012, 08:25:00 PM

Work hard and grow as a person

or

do what your asked and go home and watch tv.

Which has an average life and which has a great chance at being successful?

For the first 8 years out of school I did the later and I didn't succeed at anything I did. 

The last year I have been working hard every day at work and going back to school at night get my MBA.  I have already been asked to become a manager in that 1 year of working hard.  I declined to get my masters first and then in a year I will try to become a manager or something better.  Its not easy at all, as I have no social life, but I am happy and know I will be better for it in the long run.

Get your Battle Flag!  Join the Fight!

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

#12 : April 16, 2012, 09:01:11 PM

Workforce participation is at the lowest it's been in 30 years....since the recession of the 70s. And there is no indication it's going to improve anytime soon.

Wages are falling while costs of living continue to increase. The statistics show the gap between the rich and poor is widening and the middle class is shrinking.

These are not sustainable economic trends. The American dream is in serious jeopardy.

Education used to be a good option....not anymore as tuition has skyrocketed to astronomical levels.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#13 : April 16, 2012, 09:02:00 PM

All good pewtersurf - sounds like you're on the right track

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

#14 : April 16, 2012, 09:21:20 PM

Work hard and grow as a person

or

do what your asked and go home and watch tv.

Which has an average life and which has a great chance at being successful?

For the first 8 years out of school I did the later and I didn't succeed at anything I did. 

The last year I have been working hard every day at work and going back to school at night get my MBA.  I have already been asked to become a manager in that 1 year of working hard.  I declined to get my masters first and then in a year I will try to become a manager or something better.  Its not easy at all, as I have no social life, but I am happy and know I will be better for it in the long run.
You Will be better for it in the long run.

Fail to plan, plan to fail.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 11
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 1% of the population owns the majority of the wealth in this country « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools