Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The "Must Have Miles Burris" Thread « previous next »
Page: 1 2

buchead

Hall of Famer

#15 : April 15, 2012, 11:07:50 PM

I'm a proponent of drafting some competition for Koenen in the first round, not that I think Koenen needs to be replaced, just someone to push him.
im assuming you didn't mean to put Koenens name. Right? A punter in the 1st round isnt necessary for a team in serious need for a punter. The bucs aren't.
He's poking fun at those that condone drafting players at certain positions early despite having strong players already. (Ex: TRich when the Bucs have Blount and Blackmon when the Bucs have Jackson and Williams.)
Ahhh. Okay. I was looking for a parallel to match a bit of sarcasm to but I just couldn't see it. I get it.

UMiamiBucFan

Starter

#16 : April 15, 2012, 11:16:02 PM

Kid looks pretty good on the highlight tape...I'd like to see a more thorough breakdown though.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#17 : April 15, 2012, 11:28:42 PM

im assuming you didn't mean to put Koenens name. Right? A punter in the 1st round isnt necessary for a team in serious need for a punter. The bucs aren't.

No, I was joking. I would never condone drafting a punter in the first just to push the starting punter. Maybe before they signed Koenen, I could see them drafting one at #5, but not now.

Actually, I wouldn't totally rule this out. Remember, it's footman Dominik we are talking about here. He already wasted a 6th on Bowden and threw a couple of million dollars at Nugent just to have the pleasure to watch him prance around during training camp.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#18 : April 15, 2012, 11:30:32 PM

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/college_player_scouting_report.html&player=34454

Burris possesses a thickly built frame with good overall girth strapped through his upper and lower half. He displays a real explosive element to his game when asked to attack downhill. He has a natural first step with a real burst to his game and good straight-line speed in pursuit. He exhibits the range to finish in pursuit, wraps well on the ball carrier and finishes with a lot of anger to his game. Burris plays the game the way it's supposed to be played inside. He works hard, displays good instincts with enough power/short area quickness to fend off blocks inside and scratch his way toward the ball carrier. He plays with good leverage inside when taking on blocks, understands angles, gets his shoulder properly aligned with leverage when taking on full backs in the hole and exhibits the balance to stack, shed and accelerate toward the ball carrier. Now, he is a bit linear of an athlete who will struggle to breakdown quickly in space. But once he collects himself, he really bursts out of his breaks and extends his arms well vs. offensive lineman at the second level. He possesses the natural power to stack, though he is a bit inconsistent shedding vs. longer lineman, lacking the type of fluidity to quickly disengage if he doesn't keep himself clean initially.

Burris is more of a blitzer off the edge on passing downs. I don't want to call him a natural pass rusher, but he does have the ability to drop his pad level and gain leverage when trying to reach the edge and does exhibit an understanding of using his hands to gain leverage and then shed quickly on contact. He recorded 9.5 sacks as a junior and he can routinely create pressure off the edge as an extra rush guy. He's a bit tight hipped in coverage; he gets only average depth in his drop and needs to chop his feet in order to collect himself out of his breaks when changing directions. But, Burris does a nice job keeping his feet under him and can accelerate quickly when he regains his footing. He displays solid instincts in the pass game and is routinely around the football. He doesn't have a ton of experience turning and running with receivers down the field, but has the straight-line speed to do so. Plays like a 4.5 guy.

Impression: A nasty, hard working football player who displays good instincts, a great motor and a lot of explosive elements to his game. At worst, Burris is a stud special teams guy with the ability to start at the next level. He can play either inside or out as well.

Production   2   "2007: San Diego State redshirted Burris. 2008: (12/0) - 19-1.5-0 2009: (12/12) - 58-6-1.5 2010: (13/13) - 80-20-9.5 2011: (13/13) - 72-19-8 Career: 4FF-1PBU-3FR"

Height-Weight-Speed   3   Average blend of height and weight. Did not run at the combine but ran at pro day. Possesses big hands (9 7/8') but arm length is less than ideal (31 7/8').

Durability   3   "Right hamstring injury prevented him from running at the combine. However, appeared in every game over the past four seasons and started every game over the past three seasons. "

Intangibles   1   "2011 team captain and three-year starter. Named team's Defensive Player of the Year following the 2011 season. Named team's Co-Defensive Player of the Year following the 2010 season. Named Scout Team Player of the Year following the 2007 season. Father played football at Oregon State. Excellent student that won President's Award for High Academic Achievement in 2011, won team's Scholar Athlete Award in 2010 and 2011 and is a four-time member of Mountain West All-Academic team. "

Instincts/Recognition   3   "Reads keys and flashes the ability to beat blockers to the point. Flashes above-average instincts and the ability to find the ball carrier when sifting through traffic between the tackles. Sniffs out screens. However, has some problems locating and tracking the ball. Vulnerable to play-action, misdirection and cutbacks. Inconsistent gap discipline. "

Take-on Skills   4   "Uncoils on lead blockers and flashes the ability to blow them up in the backfield. (4:48 4th QTR 2011 Michigan game) Excellent upper-body strength (benched 225 31 times at the combine) and flashes powerful punch that can keep bigger blockers off frame. Can take on blocks with either shoulder. Isn't afraid to sacrifice body to make play. However, struggles when teams run at him and even gets put on roller skates at times. Thin hips and doesn't anchor well when offensive linemen are able to lock on. While tough takes the easy way out and tries to run around offensive linemen a little too much. "

Range vs. Run   2   Range is a notch below elite. Takes sound pursuit angles for the most part and flashes the ability to chase backs down from behind. Excellent effort and almost always around the ball at the end of the play. Flashes above-average balance sifting through traffic but offensive linemen can knock him off course with a strong punch.

Tackling   2   "Doesn't always break down or wrap low, raising concerns about ability to get bigger ball carrier to the ground. However, almost always finds a way to get the job done. Effective drag down tackler who doesn't let ball carriers slip out of grasp once latched on. Average body control and can make plays in space. "

3rd Down Capabilities   2   "Some tightness in hips and there are concerns about ability to match up with quicker backs. Gives too much of a cushion and route recognition skills appear just average. However, gets to depth and reads quarterback in underneath zone. Has the potential to develop into a playmaker in coverage. Big hands (9 7/8) and elevates well (37 5/8 VJ) but shows just average ball skills at this point. Ball can bounce off hands. While flashed the ability to adjust to passes thrown behind him also had problems fielding the ball cleanly at the combine. Shows good burst and the ability to dip inside shoulder rushing off the edge. Sets up blockers with hesitation and can locate seams in protection. However, not a polished counter puncher at this point. "

Draft Aaron Donald

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#19 : April 16, 2012, 12:19:32 AM

No, I was joking. I would never condone drafting a punter in the first just to push the starting punter. Maybe before they signed Koenen, I could see them drafting one at #5, but not now.

Actually, I wouldn't totally rule this out. Remember, it's footman Dominik we are talking about here. He already wasted a 6th on Bowden and threw a couple of million dollars at Nugent just to have the pleasure to watch him prance around during training camp.
Good lord, that is one of the blunders I forgot all about.  But hey, I bet Bowden gave DOm some guitar lessons for free!  He saved some cash!

Dom really isn't all that great.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#20 : April 16, 2012, 12:44:33 AM

Dude looks like a beast...LB is in definate need of an upgrade...almost anyone will be just that.

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#21 : April 16, 2012, 08:42:39 AM

Right it's looking like Rennie Curran will be our starting WLB, so a guy like Burris would have an honest chance to win a starting job in camp.

Draft Aaron Donald

Raheem33

Rookie
#22 : April 16, 2012, 09:36:31 AM

Im with you, this kid is a good football player/ Playing at SDState he doesnt get a lot of publicity but I always liked his game

J Buc

Second String
#23 : April 16, 2012, 10:17:54 AM

Love this kid. Reminds me of Kirk Morrison when he played at SD State

Naismith

Hall of Famer
#24 : April 16, 2012, 10:51:00 AM

In my (dream scenario) mock draft, I had them taking David, Kendricks and Burris. I think David would start right away, Kendricks, Foster and Black would compete for the other two spots and Burris would make his mark as a special teams demon.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#25 : April 16, 2012, 10:53:45 AM

Right it's looking like Rennie Curran will be our starting WLB.

I am curious if ^ that ^ is based off of more than a youtube workout video ...what makes you think Curran will be the WLB?

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#26 : April 16, 2012, 02:59:07 PM

Youtube video was just a recent video so I posted it. It doesn't have anything to do with my comment. You could call it pure speculation on my part. It's just that with Geno Hayes gone, Curran is really the only guy on our roster that fits the mold. He was labeled as a 4-3 Will coming out of college in 2010. I assuming we draft a WLB, but if not then I don't see anyone beating Curran out for the job. I'd love to see Dekoda Watson step up, but he really hasn't developed into anything more than a pass rusher yet. Only guy that might realistically get the start over Curran if we don't draft a WLB is Adam Hayward.

Draft Aaron Donald

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#27 : April 16, 2012, 03:32:22 PM

Cool...was just wondering if you had seen an article pimping Curran...or if it was speculation...either way he stands a good chance of starting given who his current competition is...

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#28 : April 16, 2012, 03:57:10 PM

Yeah....to be honest I posted that vid to see if anyone commented on it. To me he looked really slow in that video. Like all his movements seem to lack any explosiveness. Even the random guys behind him seem to be moving faster. Figure a guy that is 5'11" would need to be very quick and explosive....but from that video it doesn't appear he has that.  It'll be interesting to see how he looks in camp.

Draft Aaron Donald

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The "Must Have Miles Burris" Thread « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools