Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Good article from Cleveland on RB Draft Value « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Madman

Hall of Famer
#30 : April 16, 2012, 01:47:31 PM

I defense did suck out loud last year but I'm of the opinion that was largely on Raheem. The talent on D wasn't so bad when the team started 4-2.
It was pretty bad even then. In week 1 Matthew Stafford had 305 yards passing and the Lions quit trying midway through the 3rd quarter. In week 2 Donovan McNabb threw for the most yards he had in a game in 2011. In week 3 Roddy White and Julio Jones each had over 100 yards receiving. In week 4 Curtis Painter threw for 281 yards 2 TD's and 0 INT's. Week 5 isn't even worth mentioning. And in week 6 Drew Brees passed for 383 yards.

You're right. Geez, thanks for reminding me. I almost forgot how bad those first few games were. Still think Schiano will get much more from these guys. Plus AC and Bowers should be better.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#31 : April 16, 2012, 01:56:13 PM

Their best game on Defense was that win vs ATL. That was basically it.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#32 : April 16, 2012, 02:10:34 PM

There was one point when Richardson was predicted to go in the teens since it was a concensus that RBs arent doing the damage to defenses in the playoffs but the passing attacks. Good WR, Oline, and QB play are the ones carrying teams deep into the playoffs. Not the RBs.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#33 : April 16, 2012, 02:32:17 PM

An effective ground attack keeps the opposing offense on the sideline and chews up the clock. It also creates opportunities in the passing game when defenses try to adjust. I'm fine with using the rest of the draft on defensive players, but the first pick should be used on an impact player on the offense. The offense has relatively few needs. Kalil or Richardson should make our offense formidable. The offense can be fixed NOW. The defense needs a complete revamp behind the DL. The best we can hope for there is mediocre. It's going to take more than one season to fix it. New England made it to the SB with a defense that sucked. I believe the Bucs can reach the playoffs this year relying on our offense, but to do that they need a RB that does not fumble. They need a RB that can pass protect and catch. They need Richardson. Our defense needs more time on the sideline watching our offense. One CB from LSU won't give them that.
You don't win time of possession by running the ball. You win time of possession by forcing turnovers/punts on defense and your QB converting 3rd downs in the passing game. In the national championship game against LSU, Trent Richardson carried the ball for 3 yards or less twelve times. That's a lot of 3rd-and-4's and 3rd-and-5's your QB has to convert.

Sustained drives win time of possession. It doesn't matter if a conversion is made by a run or a pass, but it was painfully obvious neither was working for the Bucs last year. Blount needs help. The OL has been upgraded but he can't shoulder the whole load. He fumbles more often than he should and can't pass protect. Some say he can't catch but I believe his problem has more to do with running the route properly. I don't recall many drops, but I also don't recall many passes thrown his way either. Richardson excels at everything he struggles with and they both are great runners. Blount holds the team record for ypc, and that's behind an OL that has been less than impressive overall. Richardson corrects several problems and improves BOTH phases of the offense. CBs rarely have that kind of impact, and Claiborne is no Dion. Like I said before, use the rest of the draft on defense, that's fine, but Richardson is a difference maker. He won't fumble and defenses won't immediately know if it's a run or a pass. Freeman will love the option and the protection.

It's going to be a while before teams fear our defense. The offense is a different story. We need a team strength and the offense is the best candidate. One more impact player could do it. The defense needs several players and years of experience to get to that level.

Pteranodon

Pro Bowler

#34 : April 16, 2012, 02:41:50 PM

I believe the Bucs can reach the playoffs this year relying on our offense, but to do that they need a RB that does not fumble. They need a RB that can pass protect and catch. They need Richardson. Our defense needs more time on the sideline watching our offense. One CB from LSU won't give them that.

If the Bucs can go to the playoffs because of the offense it won't be some clock control running game, it's going to be Freeman throwing 4000 yards and a bunch of TD's, it's funny to think without defense the Bucs are going to beat teams with a running game.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#35 : April 16, 2012, 02:49:11 PM

I believe the Bucs can reach the playoffs this year relying on our offense, but to do that they need a RB that does not fumble. They need a RB that can pass protect and catch. They need Richardson. Our defense needs more time on the sideline watching our offense. One CB from LSU won't give them that.

If the Bucs can go to the playoffs because of the offense it won't be some clock control running game, it's going to be Freeman throwing 4000 yards and a bunch of TD's, it's funny to think without defense the Bucs are going to beat teams with a running game.

Agree and if we are succesful in the playoffs it will be because of Freeman. Not the run game.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#36 : April 16, 2012, 02:52:01 PM

I believe the Bucs can reach the playoffs this year relying on our offense, but to do that they need a RB that does not fumble. They need a RB that can pass protect and catch.
I believe they can find that without spending a top 5 pick on the position.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#37 : April 16, 2012, 02:55:18 PM

I believe the Bucs can reach the playoffs this year relying on our offense, but to do that they need a RB that does not fumble. They need a RB that can pass protect and catch.
I believe they can find that without spending a top 5 pick on the position.

Yup and would be more appropriate too because RBs shelf life is so low.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#38 : April 16, 2012, 02:55:33 PM

Sustained drives win time of possession. It doesn't matter if a conversion is made by a run or a pass, but it was painfully obvious neither was working for the Bucs last year.
That's because Freeman was terrible. Again, you sustain drives by converting 3rd downs. Unless it's 3rd-and-1 or 3rd-and-2, chances are you're passing the ball in order to convert. As I posted, based on Trent Richardson carrying the ball 12 of 20 times for 3 yards or less against LSU, he's not some magic player who will get the Bucs 3rd-and-1 on every series. If the Bucs are going to sustain drives, it has to be because Freeman converts 3rd downs or the defense gets the ball back.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

gone

Hall of Famer
#39 : April 16, 2012, 05:10:22 PM

In 2010 Blount had 1007 yards in effectively 11 games.  Extrapolat that out and it's roughly 1650 in 16 games?  He was given twenty or more carries in only THREE of those games, so we were clearly never trying to be a running team.  He wasn't even on the team until September, so he did that with no offseason with us.

In 2011 he played in fourteen games.  He wa given 2, 5, 6, 9, 10, 10, 11, 13, and 13 carries in nine of those fourteen games.  Again, we never even tried to establish the run in most of those games, yet he was only about 200 yards shy of 1k.  Again, he had no offseason, which is when you are supposed to work on training things like pass pro. 

We all know the coaching last year was an epic failure.  We had horrible play calling, horrible design, horrible line play, and horrible effort from the entire team. 

The point of all that is that we don't need to be drafting a new starter there.  Blount is a stud, if you actually try and establish the run instead of ignoring it he will be a dominant force.  drafting Trent is wasteful,  he doesn't address a need, and he will end up splitting carries just like anyone drafted later would,  that jusT isn't value.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Good article from Cleveland on RB Draft Value « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools