Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What former Buccaneer was the biggest "coulda been?" « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5

fanofkit

Pro Bowler

: April 16, 2012, 09:44:37 PM

What Buccaneer could have been great if not for an injury or certain circumstances that derailed his promise? I caught myself wondering about this when I thought of Horace Copeland. He was looking like a very promising deep threat that could have been special if not for a freak injury.  I always wondered how good Craig Erikson might have been if not for Trent Dilfer falling to us and Wyche drafting him.  Its not that Erickson was so talented, but he was a good leader, and was developing a good chemistry with the guys around him.  Any thoughts?

1Va bucsfan

Hall of Famer
#1 : April 16, 2012, 09:48:03 PM

Thomas Jones would have been the Bucs all time leading rusher if the $ would have been right! Just my .2

\\\"The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot, the guy who invented the other three, he was a genius

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#2 : April 16, 2012, 09:48:44 PM

Nathan Wonsley

That dude was so damn exciting to watch.    Lightning in a bottle.   To have him sustain a neck injury on kick teams right when he was emerging as a running back was sickening.

dbrooks55

Starter

#3 : April 16, 2012, 09:48:50 PM

Dare I say Bo Jackson? That would fall under the circumstance area of your question...I believe!

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

#4 : April 16, 2012, 09:50:06 PM

Dave Lewis, the linebacker from the late 70s.  The guy was awesome for several years, earning a Pro Bowl berth in his fourth year (after three straight deserving seasons).  Dude fell off after that though.  Can't remember if it was injuries, attitude, or just the natural selection of the league.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#5 : April 16, 2012, 09:50:18 PM

Thomas Jones would have been the Bucs all time leading rusher if the $ would have been right! Just my .2

The $$ was right...GruAllen just chose to give it to a broken down Garner instead.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

fanofkit

Pro Bowler

#6 : April 16, 2012, 09:52:02 PM

Nathan Wonsley

That dude was so damn exciting to watch.    Lightning in a bottle.   To have him sustain a neck injury on kick teams right when he was emerging as a running back was sickening.

I'm so glad you mentioned him.  I almost mentioned him when I started the post, but decided to keep it short.  Good choice.

I would also mention Aaron Sears.  Too bad he went off.

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#7 : April 16, 2012, 09:52:34 PM

Dave Lewis, the linebacker from the late 70s.  The guy was awesome for several years, earning a Pro Bowl berth in his fourth year (after three straight deserving seasons).  Dude fell off after that though.  Can't remember if it was injuries, attitude, or just the natural selection of the league.

He was awesome until drugs took over his life (from what I've read).

1Va bucsfan

Hall of Famer
#8 : April 16, 2012, 09:55:07 PM

The $$ was right...GruAllen just chose to give it to a broken down Garner instead.

Bad bad memories glad that chapter is done!

\\\"The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot, the guy who invented the other three, he was a genius

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#9 : April 16, 2012, 09:57:05 PM

The mistake was not letting Thomas Jones go, it was letting Warrick Dunn go.   Jones was not a fit for the Bucs offense.   Dunn would be in the Hall of Fame had they kept him.   His numbers would have been unreal.

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

#10 : April 16, 2012, 09:58:53 PM

The mistake was not letting Thomas Jones go, it was letting Warrick Dunn go.   Jones was not a fit for the Bucs offense.   Dunn would be in the Hall of Fame had they kept him.   His numbers would have been unreal.

They're already pretty unreal... 15,000 yards from scrimmage and 64 touchdowns.  Incredible.

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#11 : April 16, 2012, 09:59:47 PM

Dunn was a helluva back. 

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#12 : April 16, 2012, 10:00:10 PM

Does Steve Young count?

fanofkit

Pro Bowler

#13 : April 16, 2012, 10:03:32 PM

Does Steve Young count?

Yup.  Another case of a good leader getting bumped for the "next great thing" first round draft pick.

fanofkit

Pro Bowler

#14 : April 16, 2012, 10:04:54 PM

How about Clifton Smith?
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What former Buccaneer was the biggest "coulda been?" « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools