Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What former Buccaneer was the biggest "coulda been?" « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

freddy

Hall of Famer
#15 : April 16, 2012, 10:07:24 PM

Does Steve Young count?

Not only count, but has to be the biggest one.

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

#16 : April 16, 2012, 10:13:28 PM

Bill Walsh would disagree with you about Steve Young.  He "coulda been" because, according to Walsh, Young got to San Francisco and learned how to properly play quarterback.  Steve didn't have a clue what he was doing in Tampa Bay, and was so misinformed about playing the position, that he probably would've been cut from our roster after another year or two of terrible play.

fanofkit

Hall of Famer

#17 : April 16, 2012, 10:15:01 PM

Bill Walsh would disagree with you about Steve Young.  He "coulda been" because, according to Walsh, Young got to San Francisco and learned how to properly play quarterback.  Steve didn't have a clue what he was doing in Tampa Bay, and was so misinformed about playing the position, that he probably would've been cut from our roster after another year or two of terrible play.

I think bad coaching cost a lot of players good careers here in Tampa.

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

#18 : April 16, 2012, 10:24:03 PM

I think bad coaching cost a lot of players good careers here in Tampa.

There's no doubt.  And that's why I'm worried about Freeman, Williams, Blount, Benn, Talib, Foster, McCoy, Clayborn, Bowers, and the other promising players on our roster.  If Schiano busts as a head coach, we lose a half-decade's worth of serious potential.

fanofkit

Hall of Famer

#19 : April 16, 2012, 10:35:33 PM

Eric Rgett's hold out cost him big.  If Rosenhaus hadn't convinced him to hold oout, we may (stress may) not have drafted Dunn.  Rhett was darn good and might have been a fine ground and pound back for Dungy ball next to Alstott.

BEHEMOTH

Practice Squad

#20 : April 16, 2012, 10:41:00 PM

LoL.... Steve Spurrier, Tim Brown, Charlie Garner, Larry Brackins...... Nah. Pretty hard to see Doug Williams leave and win the SB with the Skins. But "coulda been" could mean BUST. MC80 was pretty disappointing after his rook season, and of course being drafted so high. Nobody knew his name, til we made that first rd selection and made everyone scratch their heads.

Buc on the Move

Pro Bowler

#21 : April 16, 2012, 10:45:54 PM

I gotta agree On mc. I sure as hell thought we found someone special, but that turned out UGLY.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#22 : April 16, 2012, 10:51:32 PM

Does Steve Young count?

This hasn't happened often, but I actually physically shed a tear when I heard they traded Young for a 2nd round pick and a million dollars.   He was my favorite player on the team by far back then.

I don't think you can consider him a "coulda been" though since he's in the Hall of Fame.     "coulda been" for the Bucs, I agree.    But even then, it was with Ray Perkins as head coach, so maybe not.

fanofkit

Hall of Famer

#23 : April 16, 2012, 10:53:06 PM

Does Steve Young count?

This hasn't happened often, but I actually physically shed a tear when I heard they traded Young for a 2nd round pick and a million dollars.   He was my favorite player on the team by far back then.

I don't think you can consider him a "coulda been" though since he's in the Hall of Fame.     "coulda been" for the Bucs, I agree.    But even then, it was with Ray Perkins as head coach, so maybe not.

Ray Perkins might be the biggest "shouldn't have been"...

pewtersurf

Hall of Famer
#24 : April 16, 2012, 10:53:35 PM

LoL.... Steve Spurrier, Tim Brown, Charlie Garner, Larry Brackins...... Nah. Pretty hard to see Doug Williams leave and win the SB with the Skins. But "coulda been" could mean BUST. MC80 was pretty disappointing after his rook season, and of course being drafted so high. Nobody knew his name, til we made that first rd selection and made everyone scratch their heads.

Thats my Number 1, damn POS racist owner. 

The Bucs were set back years for letting Williams go.  He would have been a Tampa Icon, we may of had the Doug Williams expressway.

Get your Battle Flag!  Join the Fight!

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#25 : April 16, 2012, 10:58:42 PM

The mistake was not letting Thomas Jones go, it was letting Warrick Dunn go.   Jones was not a fit for the Bucs offense.   Dunn would be in the Hall of Fame had they kept him.   His numbers would have been unreal.
Dunn wasn't producing anymore here. He never was a postseason running back. Had he stayed, the Bucs wouldn't have won a Super Bowl.

In Verner We Trust

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#26 : April 16, 2012, 11:02:01 PM

How about Clifton Smith?

I don't think he could have been much more than he was.   He was a good return man for a while though.

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#27 : April 16, 2012, 11:04:27 PM

The mistake was not letting Thomas Jones go, it was letting Warrick Dunn go.   Jones was not a fit for the Bucs offense.   Dunn would be in the Hall of Fame had they kept him.   His numbers would have been unreal.
Dunn wasn't producing anymore here. He never was a postseason running back. Had he stayed, the Bucs wouldn't have won a Super Bowl.

He wasn't producing under Christensen.   But he'd have lit it up under Gruden.   Dunn lit it up for the Falcons as well.   The Bucs would have absolutely been better off with Dunn than with Pittman (or Jones).

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#28 : April 16, 2012, 11:06:32 PM

1. Ricky Bell. If he hadn't gotten sick and hurt, maybe Bucs do more from 1980-82.
2. Doug Williams. Letting him go was the second-biggest mistake in team history.
3. Steve Young. The biggest mistake in team history. But of course had he stayed here, he likely never would have even sniffed the Hall of Fame.
4. Joe Jurevicius. Before the Alstott collision, he was on his way to greatness. Never the same here again.
5. John McLaughlin. Pretty good special teamer. Then injuries ruined it for him.
6. Brian Kelly. Injuries cost him a great career.
7. Hugh Green. One of the best linebackers in football ... then all of a sudden, he wasn't.
8. Arron Sears. On his way to becoming an excellent guard... then out of the league.
9. Donnie Abraham. A really good corner. Then he went to Philadelphia for a playoff game and came back mediocre.
10. Lo Neal. I know he's in trouble now. But a pretty good blocker for us for a year. Kinda wish he stuck around another five years.

In Verner We Trust

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#29 : April 16, 2012, 11:08:31 PM

Does Steve Young count?

I doubt Steve would've been the "hit" here as he was there. Still, very sucky that happened that way.

As for me, I feel like Caddy is the biggest coulda' been. He would've helped lead the Bucs back to the SB if he had not gotten hurt. He was a BIG part of the puzzle missing, that in most likelyhood helped with the decision of Gruden eventually being fired. Even the offense that Gruden created wasn't much without a good RB to "fear" the defense. Caddy was THAT tied into all of it.

Had Caddy succeeded though, we all would've seen different scores, different win/loss ratio, and probably Gruden still running the show. That one injury, set in motion a whole lot of future trouble imo.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What former Buccaneer was the biggest "coulda been?" « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools