Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What former Buccaneer was the biggest "coulda been?" « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#30 : April 16, 2012, 11:15:33 PM

Vinnie could have used a coach - just saying over the years the bucs coaches haven't knocked my socks off

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#31 : April 16, 2012, 11:36:16 PM

Vinnie could have used a coach - just saying over the years the bucs coaches haven't knocked my socks off

That's why it's so absurd that when they finally get one of the best coaches, they fire him and replace him with Raheem who is clueless.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#32 : April 16, 2012, 11:36:59 PM

Is it safe for me to "unignore" Java?

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

#33 : April 16, 2012, 11:37:02 PM

Does Steve Young count?

This hasn't happened often, but I actually physically shed a tear when I heard they traded Young for a 2nd round pick and a million dollars.   He was my favorite player on the team by far back then.

I don't think you can consider him a "coulda been" though since he's in the Hall of Fame.     "coulda been" for the Bucs, I agree.    But even then, it was with Ray Perkins as head coach, so maybe not.

I doubt Steve would've been the "hit" here as he was there. Still, very sucky that happened that way.

As for me, I feel like Caddy is the biggest coulda' been. He would've helped lead the Bucs back to the SB if he had not gotten hurt. He was a BIG part of the puzzle missing, that in most likelyhood helped with the decision of Gruden eventually being fired. Even the offense that Gruden created wasn't much without a good RB to "fear" the defense. Caddy was THAT tied into all of it.

Had Caddy succeeded though, we all would've seen different scores, different win/loss ratio, and probably Gruden still running the show. That one injury, set in motion a whole lot of future trouble imo.

Cadillac Williams was the same player he was pre-injury as post-injury.  He provided us the exact same productivity at all points in his career -- save the first three games.  For more information, visit your local library.  Or go to the "Search" tab and take a look at 90% of the posts by either Hate or myself.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#34 : April 16, 2012, 11:50:24 PM

Does Steve Young count?

This hasn't happened often, but I actually physically shed a tear when I heard they traded Young for a 2nd round pick and a million dollars.   He was my favorite player on the team by far back then.

I don't think you can consider him a "coulda been" though since he's in the Hall of Fame.     "coulda been" for the Bucs, I agree.    But even then, it was with Ray Perkins as head coach, so maybe not.

I doubt Steve would've been the "hit" here as he was there. Still, very sucky that happened that way.

As for me, I feel like Caddy is the biggest coulda' been. He would've helped lead the Bucs back to the SB if he had not gotten hurt. He was a BIG part of the puzzle missing, that in most likelyhood helped with the decision of Gruden eventually being fired. Even the offense that Gruden created wasn't much without a good RB to "fear" the defense. Caddy was THAT tied into all of it.

Had Caddy succeeded though, we all would've seen different scores, different win/loss ratio, and probably Gruden still running the show. That one injury, set in motion a whole lot of future trouble imo.

Cadillac Williams was the same player he was pre-injury as post-injury.  He provided us the exact same productivity at all points in his career -- save the first three games.  For more information, visit your local library.  Or go to the "Search" tab and take a look at 90% of the posts by either Hate or myself.

I agree, but with his maturity and knowledge of the game now,  without any injury history, I feel like he could have put up some really good seasons the past 3 or so years.

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#35 : April 17, 2012, 01:20:42 AM

I was never a huge fan of the Caddy pick.   And when I saw him run in the NFL, I wasn't impressed by anything he brought to the table.   He wasn't that fast, wasn't that quick, wasn't that shifty, wasn't that strong, wasn't that big.    But the guy has heart and has proven to be a solid back.   I don't think he can be considered to be a bust.   Given his athletic talent and the injuries he had, I give him credit for achieving more than he ever should have.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#36 : April 17, 2012, 03:28:37 AM

Lol.....probably...for the time being. He seems to be going through one of his "normal spells" and has added intelligent conversation to most threads, lately. But keep your finger on the button....just in case.

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#37 : April 17, 2012, 05:17:04 AM

I haven't changed at all.   I just haven't been talking about Raheem or Tebow lately.      Everything else is exactly the same.   I expect to be talking about Tebow again once the season starts.   :)

He is a baller!

Hate

Hall of Famer
#38 : April 17, 2012, 05:24:15 AM

I was never a huge fan of the Caddy pick.   And when I saw him run in the NFL, I wasn't impressed by anything he brought to the table.   He wasn't that fast, wasn't that quick, wasn't that shifty, wasn't that strong, wasn't that big.

Good Lord..... did i type that??

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#39 : April 17, 2012, 08:00:06 AM

I was never a huge fan of the Caddy pick.   And when I saw him run in the NFL, I wasn't impressed by anything he brought to the table.   He wasn't that fast, wasn't that quick, wasn't that shifty, wasn't that strong, wasn't that big.
Good Lord..... did i type that??
Been telling you for a while -

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

BucfanNC12

Hall of Famer

#40 : April 17, 2012, 08:15:31 AM

The mistake was not letting Thomas Jones go, it was letting Warrick Dunn go.   Jones was not a fit for the Bucs offense.   Dunn would be in the Hall of Fame had they kept him.   His numbers would have been unreal.
Dunn wasn't producing anymore here. He never was a postseason running back. Had he stayed, the Bucs wouldn't have won a Super Bowl.

So you are saying Pittman was better than Dunn. Don't forget it was our defense that took us to the Superbowl, not the offense.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#41 : April 17, 2012, 08:35:33 AM

Just stay away from Raheem and Tebow - should be safe.

GIJoeWasThere

Hall of Famer

#42 : April 17, 2012, 08:42:34 AM

I have to agree with the OP about Horace Copeland.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#43 : April 17, 2012, 08:48:07 AM

The mistake was not letting Thomas Jones go, it was letting Warrick Dunn go.   Jones was not a fit for the Bucs offense.   Dunn would be in the Hall of Fame had they kept him.   His numbers would have been unreal.
Dunn wasn't producing anymore here. He never was a postseason running back. Had he stayed, the Bucs wouldn't have won a Super Bowl.

So you are saying Pittman was better than Dunn. Don't forget it was our defense that took us to the Superbowl, not the offense.
Dunn's legacy was re-written after joining the Falcons and playing in the Vick offense. He had two seasons early in his career with the Bucs where he averaged 2.8 and 3.2 YPC. He wasn't the player everyone thinks of now.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

cryptfiend

Starter

#44 : April 17, 2012, 08:48:52 AM

Vinny testaverde, without a doubt.  The question is 'could have been' meaning 'who would have been great had circumstances been different'.  Young doesn't count.  His circumstances changed and he became great.  As far as I am concerned, there are only three possible answers, Ricky bell, Cadillac Williams, and vinny.  There is an article out there that compares vinny to other hall of fame qb's taking into consideration the metrics of their supporting cast.  When those metrics are considered, vinny ends up the third best qb of all time (behind Marino and elway).  I'd say that qualifies as a could have been.  Caddie would be my second choice.  No empirical evidence, but I feel like he would have been top 5 in the league had the injuries to his knees not happened.  He was smart, could catch, pick up the blitz, and ran well.  Bell isn't really a could have been.  He is a was, with a short career.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What former Buccaneer was the biggest "coulda been?" « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools