Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What former Buccaneer was the biggest "coulda been?" « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5

fanofkit

Pro Bowler

#60 : April 17, 2012, 08:18:08 PM

Vinny testaverde, without a doubt.  The question is 'could have been' meaning 'who would have been great had circumstances been different'.  Young doesn't count.  His circumstances changed and he became great.  As far as I am concerned, there are only three possible answers, Ricky bell, Cadillac Williams, and vinny.  There is an article out there that compares vinny to other hall of fame qb's taking into consideration the metrics of their supporting cast.  When those metrics are considered, vinny ends up the third best qb of all time (behind Marino and elway).  I'd say that qualifies as a could have been.  Caddie would be my second choice.  No empirical evidence, but I feel like he would have been top 5 in the league had the injuries to his knees not happened.  He was smart, could catch, pick up the blitz, and ran well.  Bell isn't really a could have been.  He is a was, with a short career.

Poor Vinny never stood a chance.  I really think the talent around him wasn't that bad, but he coaching torpedoed his career.  He had a decent supporting cast in terms of talent:
A franchise left tackle in Gruber, and a fairly good center- Grimes or Mayberry- and a solid offenive line Taylor at RT Beckes...  Ron Hall was a good tight end, WR's were pretty good- Carrier, Hil for a bit and Drewery among oters.  RB's that were okay- Cobb Lars Tate (I always liked him, if for no other reason than that awesome TD run against Buffalo I think.)

But the coaching was never going to allow for success.  I remember after he threw his first TD as a pro, he came to the sidelines and got screamed at by Perkins for making a wrong read.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#61 : April 22, 2012, 01:58:54 PM

Nathan Wonsley

That dude was so damn exciting to watch.    Lightning in a bottle.   To have him sustain a neck injury on kick teams right when he was emerging as a running back was sickening.

Here's a video of Wonsley from a game against the Rams in 1986.

usmc-buc

Pro Bowler
#62 : April 22, 2012, 02:51:12 PM

I was never a huge fan of the Caddy pick.   And when I saw him run in the NFL, I wasn't impressed by anything he brought to the table.   He wasn't that fast, wasn't that quick, wasn't that shifty, wasn't that strong, wasn't that big.    But the guy has heart and has proven to be a solid back.   I don't think he can be considered to be a bust.   Given his athletic talent and the injuries he had, I give him credit for achieving more than he ever should have.

This, he might have been the most resilient buccaneers of all time.

MikeGangi

Practice Squad

#63 : April 22, 2012, 03:04:30 PM

There's not many people mentioning it here, but Vinny Testeverde never truly got the support he needed. He shined for the Jets when his weapons were present going 12 - 4 and just missing a Super Bowl shot. He was in the wrong place at the wrong time with a seriously clouded management...a perfect equation for a "could've been."

MikeGangi

Practice Squad

#64 : April 22, 2012, 03:08:25 PM

I was never a huge fan of the Caddy pick.   And when I saw him run in the NFL, I wasn't impressed by anything he brought to the table.   He wasn't that fast, wasn't that quick, wasn't that shifty, wasn't that strong, wasn't that big.    But the guy has heart and has proven to be a solid back.   I don't think he can be considered to be a bust.   Given his athletic talent and the injuries he had, I give him credit for achieving more than he ever should have.

Cadillac sucked. Hands down...it's all one has to say. Bucs fans need to look at the reality of how our team has looked. He held our running game up for years. One shining rookie season doesn't qualify him in the least to show up in this post. I was glad we got rid of that guy...he maxed out his potential way too early and never was the force that Blount is when he's prepared. 

Harsh...but oh so true.

MikeGangi

Practice Squad

#65 : April 22, 2012, 03:15:07 PM

Nathan Wonsley

That dude was so damn exciting to watch.    Lightning in a bottle.   To have him sustain a neck injury on kick teams right when he was emerging as a running back was sickening.

Here's a video of Wonsley from a game against the Rams in 1986.

If you though he was a beast back then, check him out now!!

Nicodemus

Pro Bowler

#66 : April 22, 2012, 03:35:52 PM

Santana Dotson and Winston Moss spring to mind.

For a 5th round draft pick Dotson was an absolute steal, just wish they'd kept him around a bit longer to play with Sapp for a few more years.

smithcar

Starter

#67 : April 22, 2012, 03:38:48 PM

Steve Young or Bo Jackson both would have been. Nice to have/keep
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What former Buccaneer was the biggest "coulda been?" « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools