Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: ONCE AGAIN the boards crash... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

The Joker

Rookie

#30 : April 23, 2012, 08:07:09 AM

When the buccanneers.com message board went down I came here first to look at signing up to keep up with the Buc's.  That day many years ago the servers were down and I couldn't even register.  I didn't come back to this place for several years because their information is not really cutting edge.  This year I wanted to get in on some draft discussions so I registered.  I even thought about paying for the $5 subscription promo but I read something about how most of the insider specials have been leaked here to the red board recently so why would I bother? 

Anyway there are some good people here that I enjoy reading but not one of them are a PR staff member.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#31 : April 23, 2012, 08:28:39 AM

I even thought about paying for the $5 subscription promo but I read something about how most of the insider specials have been leaked here to the red board recently so why would I bother? 

Certain posters only post on the insider forum.    (I am not one of the people who post on the insiders board, but that is an advantage if you don't like some of the posters on the red board.)

You do get access to articles.    I've NEVER seen an insider special leaked on the red board.   There are certain articles that they allow full access to, but the insider articles are only open to insiders.     

I personally only join though for the pdf magazines they put out.    In my opinion, if you are a Bucs fan, those are worth more than the 5 bucks for the membership.   

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#32 : April 23, 2012, 09:12:54 AM

Where is PR in this thread?!!   I dont think I'll even
Bother on draft day to come here...   waste of time.  Threads wont open...blah

same here

-ts

Hall of Famer
#33 : April 23, 2012, 09:47:54 AM

I highly doubt it. the old boards hardly ever crashed. The problem is a bandwidth overload on their servers. Which they pay to have...It's been like this for a while now and frankly I'm just tired of it.

biz,
For someone who has been here since almost the beginning, I can tell you the old boards crashed just as much as the new ones.

Was just as annoying now as it was then.

I can guarantee you PR is just as pissed as we are.

The answer, I don't have a clue.
Concur US. Old boards crashed just as much without near the same traffic. This problem has been "fixed" tens of times over the past decade, and we are still at square 1. Don't expect it to change, doesn't seem like PR has ever really had a good grip on the IT world.

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
#34 : April 23, 2012, 09:55:58 AM

The last time the board crashed, I noticed it getting choppy around 1100 users before crashing. I expect the boards will be up and running okay until about 4:30pm on Thursday, after that, things should go down hill quickly. (Unless something was done to upgrade the servers).

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#35 : April 23, 2012, 10:11:22 AM

Just crank up a chat room.

conrad77

Pro Bowler

#36 : April 23, 2012, 10:42:39 AM

The last time the board crashed, I noticed it getting choppy around 1100 users before crashing. I expect the boards will be up and running okay until about 4:30pm on Thursday, after that, things should go down hill quickly. (Unless something was done to upgrade the servers).

The sole issue here, and for the record, I have built countless websites for various types of businesses, is bandwidth.  The fix is quite simple.  If the host is unreliable, you host somewhere else as it would surely be a breach of service under typical contracts.  If the bandwidth does not support the traffic, you just increase your accounts bandwidth.  Any site like this should, IMO, never be built without the capability of running 5,000 simultaneous users while hosting a stabilized archive of PDF magazines, contests and general content.  With the low amount of subscribers and regulars on the red board likely being the basis for their bandwidth projections, they went a cheaper route.  It's a mistake many companies make and in the end, there is always an issue from time to time.  I agree with the concept of paying more for the subscriptions and getting better, reliable content/service.  I also agree with Java that the digital mag is worth the $5 alone.  It is actually worth much more but obviously the economy had a major impact on subscribers.  A few tweaks and improvements would make it a $60 subscription easily when compared to comparable mags and those do not have the web interaction PR does.

PR.  ----   I know you read these and legitimately strive to provide a great service.  We respect that and are ready to stick with you for the long haul.  As you know, there were several ideas floated around last year and I would be more than happy to provide any information, concepts, ideas I can (without sharing others proprietary info or software).  You have my email, as does Chev and Uncle Stan if you prefer to work through them.  No strings, no conditions, no requests.  My consulting fees are generally in excess of $8,000 and my field is much broader than web development.  It encompasses all aspects of business  reorganization and project management.  My plate is full right now, bout  really do support PR and have no problem just emailing back and forth on anything or beta testing.  Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

[Add witty one liner here]

conrad77

Pro Bowler

#37 : April 23, 2012, 10:45:13 AM

+1   Can't believe I agreed with Java twice in one day!  Not sure why the chat isn't used more for such events or on game days.  It really is the better way to communicate.

[Add witty one liner here]

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#38 : April 23, 2012, 11:37:57 AM

I agreed with Java twice in one day! 

Smart man!

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
#39 : April 23, 2012, 11:46:35 AM

Quote from: conrad77
Quote from: JavaRay

+1   Can't believe I agreed with Java twice in one day!  Not sure why the chat isn't used more for such events or on game days.  It really is the better way to communicate.

Heads up though, during peak hours in free agency this year, the chat also crashed.

bizkitlimped

Hall of Famer
#40 : April 23, 2012, 12:43:36 PM

Yeah the chat's crashed along with the website. It's tiresome to be in the middle of a live conversation and then just get booted...the chat is quirky as it is but the amount of volume we had on here at that time made it impossible to use. We had to default to another website just to be able to chat about what was going on.

BucsFan4090

Hall of Famer

#41 : April 23, 2012, 12:50:51 PM

3SK, why don't you pitch to PR that through the draft weekend...ONLY REGISTERED MEMBERS have access to the boards and only if you register may you have access to them. That would surely cut down on a good 300-500 people just blowing up the bandwidth.

Other then that...I have to say that the people on the boards we should prepare for a new place to talk/visit during the draft. Its annoying as hell trying to see what everyone thinks when you can't because all the other non paying lurking jerk offs have to do that as well.

bizkitlimped

Hall of Famer
#42 : April 23, 2012, 01:02:18 PM

there's always that zippychat place that we used for free agency...but it becomes kind of a pain when you see nothing but guest0001 as usernames haha so I would ask everyone to change their name to their PR username to make it easier.

Edit: I created the chat on that website, it's up and running.

http://zippychat.com/room/29808
: April 23, 2012, 01:05:29 PM bizkitlimped

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#43 : April 23, 2012, 02:34:37 PM

A little bit of thread-discipline needs to happen, too.  3SK and mods need to keep some of these idiots from posting every single thought they have in in their tiny little pea-brains.

You know who you are.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#44 : April 23, 2012, 06:30:36 PM

Someone post the link to the chat now. Once Thursday roles around it will be too late!

Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: ONCE AGAIN the boards crash... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools