Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: After watching a bunch of Kuechly footage and interviews.... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 8

bucfan26

Pro Bowler
#15 : April 17, 2012, 11:27:12 PM

I'd be happy with Kuechly because we really need a leader for our defense and better talent in our LB group. But unless we trade down this board will explode. I do agree with the OP, Kuechly does sound like a Schiano player. The real question is; have the Bucs setup a private workout with him? Or did our front office keep that quiet too? lol

timbuc1021

Pro Bowler
#16 : April 17, 2012, 11:28:11 PM

I'd be beyond pissed if we took Kuechly at 5, let alone at all

And why's that? Looks like your a Penn State fan from your SN, so maybe that has something to do with it. But right now there is ZERO leadership within the LB group, and only one of the guys should even be close to being a starter as of right now. People are really underestimating the fact that unless Claiborne is the next Revis and completes takes away the other team's best receiver than he will have a very limited impact on the defense. Revis and sometimes Nnamdi are the only guys in the LEAGUE that do that (Champ Bailey used to as well), I don't think Claiborne is going to be joining that group now or anytime soon for that matter. Joe Haden is the best corner to be drafted in a while and TJ Ward is one of the best young safetys in the whole league, and the Browns are still picking ahead of us in the draft.
I've never been high on Kuechly. I think he has the intangibles, but I don't think he's physical enough to succeed at the next level, ie. I've never really seen him explode through a tackle. As I said in another thread, I watched him play live when BC was at UCF. I keyed in on him for more than a few plays. He makes great reads, takes good angles, etc. All the fundamentals are sound, however, I just didn't see the nastiness I like to see out of a MLB, but maybe that's just because I'm old school. Also, UCF ran for 235 yards that game. Safe to say that Kuechly was invisible.

My father played at PSU, so I was taught that old school, punch-you-in-the-mouth playstyle since I first started playing when I was very little. I don't see that mentality or instinct in Kuechly and perhaps that's why I don't favor him as much as some others do.

To each his own at this point.

IF we were to take Kuechly, we should trade down. It's foolish to reach for a guy that will be there multiple spots later. Trade down, accumulate more picks, and get fair value for a guy. With that said, I'd take Trent Richardson, Mo Claiborne, or Matt Kalil before Kuechly and we're guaranteed one of those 3 at the 5 spot.

Ha!  I was at that game too.  UCF tore them up 30-3.  To be fair, Kuechly did have 17 tackles that game and .5 TFL.  But yes, UCF tore them up on the ground.  And UCF was a mediocre C-USA team last year.
Wow, didn't realize LK had that many tackles that game. I'm curious to know how many were solo and how many were him just jumping on piles because that seemed to be a common theme in some of his film.... Then again, when all of them are 6 and 7 yards beyond the LOS, doesn't really matter lol.

12 solo, 5 assisted.  Also, found a Youtube video from the game focusing on him:

bashear

Hall of Famer

#17 : April 17, 2012, 11:28:38 PM

If the Bucs have Kuechly highly rated, and can't trade down, I'll be okay with the selection at five. I'd be very surprised, but I'll root for the guy. Having said that, I hope we select someone else at 5.

NittanyBuc

Starter

#18 : April 17, 2012, 11:45:22 PM

I'd be beyond pissed if we took Kuechly at 5, let alone at all

And why's that? Looks like your a Penn State fan from your SN, so maybe that has something to do with it. But right now there is ZERO leadership within the LB group, and only one of the guys should even be close to being a starter as of right now. People are really underestimating the fact that unless Claiborne is the next Revis and completes takes away the other team's best receiver than he will have a very limited impact on the defense. Revis and sometimes Nnamdi are the only guys in the LEAGUE that do that (Champ Bailey used to as well), I don't think Claiborne is going to be joining that group now or anytime soon for that matter. Joe Haden is the best corner to be drafted in a while and TJ Ward is one of the best young safetys in the whole league, and the Browns are still picking ahead of us in the draft.
I've never been high on Kuechly. I think he has the intangibles, but I don't think he's physical enough to succeed at the next level, ie. I've never really seen him explode through a tackle. As I said in another thread, I watched him play live when BC was at UCF. I keyed in on him for more than a few plays. He makes great reads, takes good angles, etc. All the fundamentals are sound, however, I just didn't see the nastiness I like to see out of a MLB, but maybe that's just because I'm old school. Also, UCF ran for 235 yards that game. Safe to say that Kuechly was invisible.

My father played at PSU, so I was taught that old school, punch-you-in-the-mouth playstyle since I first started playing when I was very little. I don't see that mentality or instinct in Kuechly and perhaps that's why I don't favor him as much as some others do.

To each his own at this point.

IF we were to take Kuechly, we should trade down. It's foolish to reach for a guy that will be there multiple spots later. Trade down, accumulate more picks, and get fair value for a guy. With that said, I'd take Trent Richardson, Mo Claiborne, or Matt Kalil before Kuechly and we're guaranteed one of those 3 at the 5 spot.

Ha!  I was at that game too.  UCF tore them up 30-3.  To be fair, Kuechly did have 17 tackles that game and .5 TFL.  But yes, UCF tore them up on the ground.  And UCF was a mediocre C-USA team last year.
Wow, didn't realize LK had that many tackles that game. I'm curious to know how many were solo and how many were him just jumping on piles because that seemed to be a common theme in some of his film.... Then again, when all of them are 6 and 7 yards beyond the LOS, doesn't really matter lol.

12 solo, 5 assisted.  Also, found a Youtube video from the game focusing on him:

He looked great early on in the game. That stretch by (I believe) Latavious Murray was probably the best hit I've seen LK make. It's very evident that UCF's 3 headed monster at RB really wore them down. I think LK is a good football player, just not a top 5 talent.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#19 : April 17, 2012, 11:54:26 PM

If the Bucs have Kuechly highly rated, and can't trade down, I'll be okay with the selection at five. I'd be very surprised, but I'll root for the guy. Having said that, I hope we select someone else at 5.

Agree

bucfanskiz

Starter
#20 : April 18, 2012, 12:12:42 AM

This is a break down from another thread I put out there but it applies here.  I foolishly made the comment about asking to see a big hit from LK....well this break down is my personal opinion take it for what it's worth.

"I think my point of the big hit is being taken out of context and rightfully so, but my point I was trying to make is much like Ruud he is a drag down tackler with good not great instincts.  From what I have seen on film most of his tackles the RB is falling forward (that's where I'm asking for a big hit) or he is the second man there falling on the pile for an assist (89 of his total 191).  I'm not going to argue that he is good against the pass, but looking at our defense last year there were very few 3rd and long situations.  If its 3rd and short and Luke makes one of his tackles 2 or 3 yes deep in our backfield were looking at a lot more 1st downs and continued drives.  Comparing him to Patrick Willis is just crazy and pointless they are two different types of players, hence the Ruud 2.0 comment.  In BC's defense his role was to find the ball and attack so let's look at stats (no Tom Riddle there not for losers)

BC Defense
Rushing Yds total. 1813.      Pass Yds  2919
YDs per Rush. 4.3.               YPC. 11.0
Avg Per Game 151.1.           Avg per game. 243.2
Rushing TDs. 22.                  Passing TDs. 8

I can break it down by game if needed and before you talk about how bad the BC defense is as a whole LK's primary responsibility was the RB.  Teams like North Western, UCF, Duke,Umass, and Wake Forest avg 4.3 Yds per carry against them.  Put this kid I the SEC and his stats wouldn't be close to what they are outside of David Wilson he didn't play against a RB I would consider elite.  Of there 12 games 3 were against top 25 teams.  In those games they gave up 1,289 total Yds with 521 coming on the ground, do you see a trend here?  I go one more NW 227 rushing yards and UCF 235 rushing yards. Let's also add no forced fumbles to these stats.  Finally in the last 10 years of the draft there has been only 1 LB that has made the probowl after being selected in the top 10....tht guy is Terrell Suggs who is more of a stand up rush end.

Listen I'm not going to argue the kid has instincts but he's not the player these so called draft experts say he is.  I know I know they get paid to do what they do but how often do they make mistakes.  I will give you an example Aaron Cury a few years back coming out of WakeForest was classified by these guys as a cant miss prospect.  Since joining the Seahawks he hasn't done anything in fact he was demoted to 2nd string and traded to Oakland.  My point is its a crap shoot for these guys they throw more crap at the wall and what sticks they use as a feather in there cap.

I guess we will agree to disagree but I just don't see LK as a top talent in this draft.  If I'm wrong I will eat crow but I just hope he isn't a Buc on the 26th."

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

#21 : April 18, 2012, 12:13:50 AM

I would love for the Bucs to take Kuechly.   I don't care if it's at #5 or if they trade down.  Kuechly is the guy they should take.
I thought you wanted Kalil?

This space for rent....*sigh* I trusted you coach.

NittanyBuc

Starter

#22 : April 18, 2012, 12:38:36 AM

This is a break down from another thread I put out there but it applies here.  I foolishly made the comment about asking to see a big hit from LK....well this break down is my personal opinion take it for what it's worth.

"I think my point of the big hit is being taken out of context and rightfully so, but my point I was trying to make is much like Ruud he is a drag down tackler with good not great instincts.  From what I have seen on film most of his tackles the RB is falling forward (that's where I'm asking for a big hit) or he is the second man there falling on the pile for an assist (89 of his total 191).  I'm not going to argue that he is good against the pass, but looking at our defense last year there were very few 3rd and long situations.  If its 3rd and short and Luke makes one of his tackles 2 or 3 yes deep in our backfield were looking at a lot more 1st downs and continued drives.  Comparing him to Patrick Willis is just crazy and pointless they are two different types of players, hence the Ruud 2.0 comment.  In BC's defense his role was to find the ball and attack so let's look at stats (no Tom Riddle there not for losers)

BC Defense
Rushing Yds total. 1813.      Pass Yds  2919
YDs per Rush. 4.3.               YPC. 11.0
Avg Per Game 151.1.           Avg per game. 243.2
Rushing TDs. 22.                  Passing TDs. 8

I can break it down by game if needed and before you talk about how bad the BC defense is as a whole LK's primary responsibility was the RB.  Teams like North Western, UCF, Duke,Umass, and Wake Forest avg 4.3 Yds per carry against them.  Put this kid I the SEC and his stats wouldn't be close to what they are outside of David Wilson he didn't play against a RB I would consider elite.  Of there 12 games 3 were against top 25 teams.  In those games they gave up 1,289 total Yds with 521 coming on the ground, do you see a trend here?  I go one more NW 227 rushing yards and UCF 235 rushing yards. Let's also add no forced fumbles to these stats.  Finally in the last 10 years of the draft there has been only 1 LB that has made the probowl after being selected in the top 10....tht guy is Terrell Suggs who is more of a stand up rush end.

Listen I'm not going to argue the kid has instincts but he's not the player these so called draft experts say he is.  I know I know they get paid to do what they do but how often do they make mistakes.  I will give you an example Aaron Cury a few years back coming out of WakeForest was classified by these guys as a cant miss prospect.  Since joining the Seahawks he hasn't done anything in fact he was demoted to 2nd string and traded to Oakland.  My point is its a crap shoot for these guys they throw more crap at the wall and what sticks they use as a feather in there cap.

I guess we will agree to disagree but I just don't see LK as a top talent in this draft.  If I'm wrong I will eat crow but I just hope he isn't a Buc on the 26th."
I'm with you. I just don't see his game translating well into the NFL. He'll be fine getting to the play, it's what happens after he gets there that concerns me.

bucfanskiz

Starter
#23 : April 18, 2012, 12:39:21 AM

Khalil would be a steal if he falls to us

flashgordon

Pro Bowler
#24 : April 18, 2012, 05:42:13 AM

as I've heard some say; Kuechi played on a bad team; that's what I see in the video provided above;

they said the same thing about Mason Foster; he's a tackling machine but always a wrap up tackler and not a blowem up type.

Ali Akbar Khan Raga Chandranandan,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CtXORtvvYM

bucfanskiz

Starter
#25 : April 18, 2012, 08:50:39 AM

as I've heard some say; Kuechi played on a bad team; that's what I see in the video provided above;

they said the same thing about Mason Foster; he's a tackling machine but always a wrap up tackler and not a blowem up type.

Maybe I'm just old school like nittany but I think you need a real ass kicker in the middle of your defense.

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
#26 : April 18, 2012, 08:54:51 AM

I would love to see us trade down a few spots to at least recover that 4th. If we can't and stay put, drafting Kuechly at 5, I honestly wouldn't be disappointed. It would definitely take me by surprise (a linebacker at 5) but I would go with it. He looks like he is going to be a good pro.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#27 : April 18, 2012, 09:38:32 AM

I would have loved to have been in the coaches meeting either last night or this morning, to hear what they are saying about this LB group after yesterday....

I bet that Schiano, Sheridan and Fraser are all walking around with a palm mark on their faces or a large red circle in the middle of their foreheads from banging their heads on the table.

Schiano probably ran in Dom's office this morning all sweaty and bags under his eyes panting "Kuech-ly...we need Kuech-ly"

Hope he caught Dom this morning...I'm sure he had a tee time scheduled..

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

#28 : April 18, 2012, 10:36:23 AM

I would have loved to have been in the coaches meeting either last night or this morning, to hear what they are saying about this LB group after yesterday....

I bet that Schiano, Sheridan and Fraser are all walking around with a palm mark on their faces or a large red circle in the middle of their foreheads from banging their heads on the table.

Schiano probably ran in Dom's office this morning all sweaty and bags under his eyes pantingech-ly...we need Kuech-ly"

Hope he caught Dom this morning...I'm sure he had a tee time scheduled..
Considering no one was in pads yesterday, the lb's had to be going through their drills blindbolded for you to come to this conclusion.

philosophy is questions that may never be answered
religion is answers that may never be questioned

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
#29 : April 18, 2012, 10:54:56 AM

Quote from: wreck ship

Considering no one was in pads yesterday, the lb's had to be going through their drills blindbolded for you to come to this conclusion.

Our linebackers have to be more physical in practice with their two hand touches.

Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: After watching a bunch of Kuechly footage and interviews.... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools