Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Ego « previous next »
Page: 1

CaptainStagger

Hall of Famer
Ego
: April 19, 2012, 07:58:38 AM

Ego is a nessesary evil for every nfl head coach. Schiano puts so much emphasis on wanting to "teach", it makes me wonder how much his faith in teaching might reveal about his ego. Is he throwing his support behind Talib because he thinks he can get him on the straight and narrow? Did we ignore LB in free agency because after seeing Big Cheetah on tape and in the weight room he said "Now that's what MLB is supposed to look like, give me 3 months and I swear I can teach him to take an angle and tackle" Was releasing Jackson, which was applauded by most, a case of cutting off you nose to spite your face? Obviously Schiano thinks he can milk enough production out of less talented players do he could send his message.

There seems to be a good deal of gambling based on ego for a rookie nfl head coach. Personally, I have faith, but it has to be pointed out that it seems Schiano has has put allot allot of faith in his own abilities.

rmiller14

Second String
#1 : April 19, 2012, 08:25:31 AM

Maybe, but the signings of Nicks and Jackson are counter examples to your point.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#2 : April 19, 2012, 08:34:14 AM

An intriguing question, but a few points: 1. Discipline has to be his No. 1 priority. Raheem's greatest weakness may have been the lack thereof. That alone will win us an extra game or two.
2. What do you expect him to do? He can't turn over the whole roster in one year. He has to believe he can coach up SOMEONE on this team. Otherwise what's the point of him being here?
3. Jackson's probably going to continue to be a feast-or-famine type of player. I can see him making some big picks and winding up on Sportscenter ... and then getting burned in the same game for the winning TD. Talented, but if he can't even get to the disciplined part then teaching is wasted on him.
Conclusion: The underlying themes of this team have to be about work ethic and discipline. These are the constants on winning teams in all sports. Lose your focus, discipline, work ethic and you get sloppy. Sloppiness leads to mistakes, which lead to demoralization, which lead to morale collapse. This team can be a playoff team ... if not in 2012, then certainly in 2013. Let's see if Schiano can do the job.

In Verner We Trust

CaptainStagger

Hall of Famer
#3 : April 19, 2012, 10:08:38 AM

Maybe, but the signings of Nicks and Jackson are counter examples to your point.

Wasn't really taking sides...lol...

But it is telling that VJax and Nicks were brought in. Maybe the talent is allot better than we know at linebacker. Raheem just might have been the clog in the pipe. If Schiano can explain simple football physics to Quincy Black he could be solid.
: April 19, 2012, 10:15:03 AM CaptainStagger

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

#4 : April 19, 2012, 10:27:11 AM

This team was good enough to beat the likes of the saint and falcons last yr. Granted that was with a healthy, disruptive McCoy but if Schiano doesn't atleast split with series with our division foes,  a lot more than his ego will be questioned.

philosophy is questions that may never be answered
religion is answers that may never be questioned

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#5 : April 19, 2012, 11:05:51 AM

Ego is a nessesary evil for every nfl head coach. Schiano puts so much emphasis on wanting to "teach", it makes me wonder how much his faith in teaching might reveal about his ego. Is he throwing his support behind Talib because he thinks he can get him on the straight and narrow? Did we ignore LB in free agency because after seeing Big Cheetah on tape and in the weight room he said "Now that's what MLB is supposed to look like, give me 3 months and I swear I can teach him to take an angle and tackle" Was releasing Jackson, which was applauded by most, a case of cutting off you nose to spite your face? Obviously Schiano thinks he can milk enough production out of less talented players do he could send his message.

There seems to be a good deal of gambling based on ego for a rookie nfl head coach. Personally, I have faith, but it has to be pointed out that it seems Schiano has has put allot allot of faith in his own abilities.

Or maybe he is just playing the cards dealt him as he knows best and is not as focused on this next season as much as the next five years

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#6 : April 19, 2012, 11:49:25 AM

Nah, it doesn't support his point so we'll just throw your example out, k?

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

CaptainStagger

Hall of Famer
#7 : April 19, 2012, 12:08:06 PM

Lol....why so prickish.... I told him I understand his point...and agree. But can't help but wonder if Schiano, a defensive coach, doesn't have more faith in his ability to teach and mold the current talent on that side of the ball, instead of go out and buy talent, to perhaps cover up some weakness on the offensive coaching.

But hey, if you want to paint me for troll, have at it....:)

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#8 : April 19, 2012, 12:14:44 PM

*Pre snap aligments:  Most of the Bucs players on defense were out of position pre snap and hard to be in a gap if you are away from your assigned gap. This Schiano can fix easily.

*Staying in gaps:  Bucs had a tendency to create large holes in the gaps when playing run defense which led to the Bucs being gashed.  Schiano and his staff can fix this as well.

*Defensive backs not locating the ball in m2m coverage:  Schiano and his staff can definitely fix this with drills and repetition.  Most importantly technique and hip movements as well as planting the right foot depending which way you are turning to run.  Talib does this naturally, but for players like Grimm, Lewis, etc they need work. 

*Play calling: I don't expect to see Miller in pass coverage any time soon.

*Freelancing: Both Jones and Jackson are gone.

Poor tackling and lack of effort: Both Jones and Jackson are gone.

In summary, most of the problems can be fixed on defense.  Bucs could use another fluid CB opposite of Talib for m2m coverage, a playmaking LB, and a cover safety. 

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#9 : April 19, 2012, 01:16:16 PM

But hey, if you want to paint me for troll, have at it....:)

Okay, thanks.

Blasphemy of Schiano will not be tolerated!

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

buchead

Hall of Famer

#10 : April 19, 2012, 01:22:48 PM

Maybe, just maybe it takes more than a couple months to build a team the way he would like. There isn't a tree of NFL players growing at one buc place for him to pluck replacements from. You can't expect him to come in and just cut guys and depend on rookies and practice squad guys like Rah did.

beardmcdoug

Pro Bowler

#11 : April 19, 2012, 02:23:36 PM

Schiano's got that "intelligent swag"

It's easy to have "ignorant swag", where you're just so dumb that people are interested in you (i.e. mainstream hip hop)

But Schiano's swag comes from his brain and his work ethic, where you just know that he knows.  He's got confidence because he has a mentality to be confident OF.  It comes to a point, where if you follow strict guidelines for success, your existence begins to assume the path automatically.  So it is not just Greg Schiano preaching things.  It's Greg Schiano with steel backbone of core beliefs.

and so what he's got, and hopefully what he transfers to the players is that mentality - where if you do things right, see things through to the end, and work your butt off, you'll end up in a good situation.

Schiano's got confidence in his viewpoint of work and life because he's seen it work first hand in his own journey.  And this is why I am so excited for this 2012 Bucs season.  Because now we have a true leader, and not just a good communicator.

- A true MAN to revive the qualities of respect, work ethic, and accountability within this football organization.  GO BUCS
: April 19, 2012, 02:28:30 PM beardmcdoug

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Ego « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools