Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Highly-respected draftnik...."Claiborne is my 3rd rated CB in the draft" « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#30 : April 21, 2012, 08:28:42 PM

I've been saying all along Claiborne was being over-rated and would get flamed for it by the "draft defense at all costs" crowd.

I'm loving the confirmation .

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#31 : April 21, 2012, 08:31:06 PM

All this is a bit of crazy talk IMO. Claiborne has way, wayyyy better hips and change of direction than Gilmore. Gilmore is a nice, tough corner, but you're not going to put him man to man on Roddy White or Colston all game and expect him to hold down the fort all game. Claiborne can do that for you.

Gilmore may be the safer pick, but Claiborne's potential to be lockdown makes him worthy of being top 5.

Gilmore is a bigger guy, and with the trend leaning towards NBA power forwards at TE in the league, bigger is better IMO.

Gilmore is only one inch taller, but Claiborne has 33 1/4 inch arms where Gilmore has 31 inch arms. Claiborne can run and turn like a smaller corner but jam and get his hands around the ball like much taller corners. If he stays healthy Claiborne will be a stud. CB's aren't paid to tackle, and it's not like Claiborne is horrible. At least he's willing to tackle.

BucDaFackUp

Hall of Famer

#32 : April 21, 2012, 08:35:51 PM

The reason Cosell qualifies his analysis based on film is because that is his forte...he's a film buff....spends more time watching film than most of us do breathing....ok slight exaggeration....but again he spends many hours studying film and will base his grades strictly on what he sees in game film....not post-season workouts and combines.

Madman

Hall of Famer
#33 : April 21, 2012, 08:37:09 PM

Mike Mayock and Gil Brandt still have Claiborne as their top CB and top 7 talent. Btw both have Luke Kuechly very high as well.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#34 : April 21, 2012, 08:37:43 PM

All this is a bit of crazy talk IMO. Claiborne has way, wayyyy better hips and change of direction than Gilmore. Gilmore is a nice, tough corner, but you're not going to put him man to man on Roddy White or Colston all game and expect him to hold down the fort all game. Claiborne can do that for you.

Gilmore may be the safer pick, but Claiborne's potential to be lockdown makes him worthy of being top 5.

Gilmore is a bigger guy, and with the trend leaning towards NBA power forwards at TE in the league, bigger is better IMO.

Gilmore is only one inch taller, but Claiborne has 33 1/4 inch arms where Gilmore has 31 inch arms. Claiborne can run and turn like a smaller corner but jam and get his hands around the ball like much taller corners. If he stays healthy Claiborne will be a stud. CB's aren't paid to tackle, and it's not like Claiborne is horrible. At least he's willing to tackle.

I hear ya, but Gilmore has a couple pounds on Morris too.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
#35 : April 21, 2012, 08:49:43 PM

The week before the draft and all of a sudden top 5 guys suck?  Yeah right.  Its B.S.! 

I believe most teams have it in this order ...

Morris Claiborne
Stephon Gilmore
Dre Kirkpatrick
Josh Robinson

I'd scratch Jenkins and Dennard right off my board!

GMACsBlankey

Hall of Famer

#36 : April 21, 2012, 09:04:21 PM

Who is the best receiver that Claiborne has had to "hold the fort all game" against? Randal from LSU? One of the arkansas slot guys?

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#37 : April 21, 2012, 09:14:35 PM

Cosell is considered quite the talent evaluator. I wonder what makes him give Claiborne that rate?
Honestly - he needed to file an article.  Just my guess.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#38 : April 21, 2012, 09:34:10 PM

Who is the best receiver that Claiborne has had to "hold the fort all game" against? Randal from LSU? One of the arkansas slot guys?

This argument against him is weak IMO. How many really great receivers are there in college football?

Notice I said that Claiborne could lock down Roddy White and Colston, but I didn't mention Julio Jones. If that guy is right, he is going to get something no matter what you do. You can take a look at Jones breaking open on the sitff hipped Gilmore all over the field in this video if you want to. You be the one to decide who you'd want covering him, Gilmore or Claiborne.

GMACsBlankey

Hall of Famer

#39 : April 21, 2012, 09:37:19 PM

This argument against him is weak IMO. How many really great receivers are there in college football?

Notice I said that Claiborne could lock down Roddy White and Colston, but I didn't mention Julio Jones. If that guy is right, he is going to get something no matter what you do. You can take a look at Jones breaking open on the sitff hipped Gilmore all over the field in this video if you want to. You be the one to decide who you'd want covering him, Gilmore or Claiborne.

Not talking about Gilmore. The guy I want will probably be there in the second if Bellicheck doesn't jump on him and he single handily held Jones to a 4 catch, 19 yard effort

XFactor

Hall of Famer

#40 : April 21, 2012, 09:49:37 PM

I'm not sure the exact stats but I heard Claiborne only gave up a 100 yard game to a WR once in his two years as a starter. I don't get the Gilmore hype, I'd take Robinson over him. I guess positional value and a fast 40 bumped him into the first round. 

GMACsBlankey

Hall of Famer

#41 : April 21, 2012, 10:03:56 PM

I'm not sure the exact stats but I heard Claiborne only gave up a 100 yard game to a WR once in his two years as a starter. I don't get the Gilmore hype, I'd take Robinson over him. I guess positional value and a fast 40 bumped him into the first round.
Only gave up 1 100 yard game? Well he was the number 2 corner his first year behind Peterson and this year, didn't cover anyone.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#42 : April 21, 2012, 11:59:04 PM

That and there being a very small difference between RG3 and Tannehill. Come on now.

I hadn't heard that one.   But I did hear someone say it was a toss up between RG3 and Luck.   That's ridiculous.    I'd take Luck every day of the week and twice on Sunday over RG3.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#43 : April 22, 2012, 12:03:22 AM

That and there being a very small difference between RG3 and Tannehill. Come on now.

I hadn't heard that one.   But I did hear someone say it was a toss up between RG3 and Luck.   That's ridiculous.    I'd take Luck every day of the week and twice on Sunday over RG3.

What a shocker.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#44 : April 22, 2012, 12:10:29 AM

Wow. Some am supposed to respect his opinion but Kalil is out of the ten?

Yeaaaah....no.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Highly-respected draftnik...."Claiborne is my 3rd rated CB in the draft" « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools