Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Matt Kalil « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 8 9 10

XFactor

Hall of Famer

#135 : April 23, 2012, 08:18:54 PM

Last time I checked the Vikings play a cover 2 based scheme on defense. When did cover 2 corners need to be drafted in the top 10 of a draft? Smoke screeen. Big smoke screen.

Leslie told Mort today they play a lot of cover 1,  and Claiborne would fit in nicely.

I'm sure they do, I'm sure they play a lot of cover 3 too, like the Bucs did when they ran the Tampa 2 post Dungy, but it doesn't change the fact what the base scheme is or what they fall back to.

Well,  no offense, but if their HC says he would fit in nicely, I will take his word for it, over message board guy.

There is no scheme that can mask the deficiencies of a left tackle's ability to block, you either have it or you don't, how many top left tackles are drafted in round 2 and on?

You can put in a back to help out, an extra TE, bootlegs, screens... Plenty of things you can do. I understand your take on positional value, it's a good point. Really boils down to how they feel about Kalil and Mo, if they are willing to trade away an elite LT that should tell you a lot. Think they will just as easily take a game changer and grab an OT later.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#136 : April 23, 2012, 09:36:51 PM

Last time I checked the Vikings play a cover 2 based scheme on defense. When did cover 2 corners need to be drafted in the top 10 of a draft? Smoke screeen. Big smoke screen.

Leslie told Mort today they play a lot of cover 1,  and Claiborne would fit in nicely.

I'm sure they do, I'm sure they play a lot of cover 3 too, like the Bucs did when they ran the Tampa 2 post Dungy, but it doesn't change the fact what the base scheme is or what they fall back to.

Well,  no offense, but if their HC says he would fit in nicely, I will take his word for it, over message board guy.

There is no scheme that can mask the deficiencies of a left tackle's ability to block, you either have it or you don't, how many top left tackles are drafted in round 2 and on?

You can put in a back to help out, an extra TE, bootlegs, screens... Plenty of things you can do. I understand your take on positional value, it's a good point. Really boils down to how they feel about Kalil and Mo, if they are willing to trade away an elite LT that should tell you a lot. Think they will just as easily take a game changer and grab an OT later.

Agree.   My point is they need both guys.   So whoever they have rated higher on their board is going to be the guy.  Leslie is sounding like its Claiborne, but we shall see Thursday night.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#137 : April 23, 2012, 09:55:07 PM

Should be interesting to see what soon-to-be let go Leslie does with the #3...

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#138 : April 23, 2012, 09:57:42 PM

You think Les is on the hot seat?   Speilman [sp?] hasn't given him much to work with really.  [the raheem arguement]

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

CaliBucsFan

Second String
#139 : April 23, 2012, 10:05:13 PM

Anything the Vikings say other than that they are taking Kalil is BS and/or a smokescreen.  That being said if somehow he is there at 5 we jump at the chance to take a franchise LT, or field any blockbuster, julio jones-esque trade offers which may be forthcoming.  LT is easily the most important position other than QB and Kalil is a consensus all-pro caliber prospect.  I know drafting him leaves us with too many glaring holes to fill during this draft but he is too valuable to pass up.  It is much easier to find a temporary fix at LB or RB than a LT.  If G-d forbid Penn or even Trueblood gets hurt our O-Line goes from our greatest strength to a pile of dung.  With Kalil we can field the most talented O-Line in the league and be able to sustain a small, dare I say normal, amount of injuries to the unit.  Kalil falling to 5 and the Bucs taking him is the best possible situation we can hope for on Thursday.

\\\"Im not afraid of anyone. They put their pants on just like I put my pants on.

-Kadeem Edwards

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#140 : April 23, 2012, 10:07:31 PM

You think Les is on the hot seat?   Speilman [sp?] hasn't given him much to work with really.  [the raheem arguement]

Do I think they will have a new coach in the next 20ish months?...I believe so.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#141 : April 23, 2012, 10:12:01 PM

Anything the Vikings say other than that they are taking Kalil is BS and/or a smokescreen.  That being said if somehow he is there at 5 we jump at the chance to take a franchise LT, or field any blockbuster, julio jones-esque trade offers which may be forthcoming.  LT is easily the most important position other than QB and Kalil is a consensus all-pro caliber prospect.  I know drafting him leaves us with too many glaring holes to fill during this draft but he is too valuable to pass up.  It is much easier to find a temporary fix at LB or RB than a LT.  If G-d forbid Penn or even Trueblood gets hurt our O-Line goes from our greatest strength to a pile of dung.  With Kalil we can field the most talented O-Line in the league and be able to sustain a small, dare I say normal, amount of injuries to the unit.  Kalil falling to 5 and the Bucs taking him is the best possible situation we can hope for on Thursday.

Agree

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#142 : April 23, 2012, 10:12:58 PM

Well if Ponder somehow turns into Tom Brady real quick, they will be ok.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#143 : April 23, 2012, 10:33:19 PM

Well if Ponder somehow turns into Tom Brady real quick, they will be ok.

There are 20+ other teams who have that same wish..

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#144 : April 24, 2012, 02:04:13 AM

They need a CB just as bad as LT.    We will see which one they value more on Thursday night.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#145 : April 24, 2012, 07:15:53 AM

Agree

...and if this same philosophy applies to the Browns, then they are taking Blackmon, and TR is falling right in our laps.  :P

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Page: 1 ... 8 9 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Matt Kalil « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools