Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Matt Kalil « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 10

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#15 : April 22, 2012, 11:13:14 PM

It's a "game-changer" when your QB gets knocked out for the season

agree, thats such a strange comment by Frazier that I smell smoke

Well....they basicaly have the #1pick so who are they smoking?

I mean trying to get a trade down with someone who wants Richardson or Claiborne.  I guess its possible they take someone other than Kalil but just seems unlikely to me, especially when you have a coach saying the conventional wisdom(taking a LT with a premium pick) is wrong.  Whay say that NOW even if you think it?

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#16 : April 22, 2012, 11:13:27 PM

The smoke is we  (the vikes) are open for business and don't have to get a tackle at #3...

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#17 : April 22, 2012, 11:14:05 PM

So this past week RG3 is better than luck, Kalil isn't an elite LT and LT isn't a high value position any longer, Claiborne isn't the number one CB in the draft... what's next - we have several more days...

I am going #4 to the Patriots who trade up to get me.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#18 : April 22, 2012, 11:15:16 PM

So this past week RG3 is better than luck, Kalil isn't an elite LT and LT isn't a high value position any longer, Claiborne isn't the number one CB in the draft... what's next - we have several more days...

That taking a RB at 5 is a great idea! Oh that's already been said a few times.

XFactor

Hall of Famer

#19 : April 22, 2012, 11:15:47 PM

Schefter reported on this weeks ago. I don't think it's a smoke screen, it's a legit statement. LT's are not game changers.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#20 : April 22, 2012, 11:16:24 PM

The smoke is we  (the vikes) are open for business and don't have to get a tackle at #3...

Well if I was Les, and wanted to float some smoke, I would be putting it out there that Kalil, Claiborne and TR are once in a lifetime prospects and if you want them its going to cost you.

Not....ya their ok but not game changers.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#21 : April 22, 2012, 11:18:36 PM

Well if I was Les, and wanted to float some smoke, I would be putting it out there that Kalil, Claiborne and TR are once in a lifetime prospects and if you want them its going to cost you.

Not....ya their ok but not game changers.

Exactly what I was thinking. Not a smart move by the HC.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#22 : April 22, 2012, 11:22:07 PM

Schefter reported on this weeks ago. I don't think it's a smoke screen, it's a legit statement. LT's are not game changers.

semantics.  LT are premium picks often because they are rare and they protect the most important offensive "game changer," a quarterback, from often the most important defensive game changer, a DE.  Taking the best LT with a premium pick when you lack a premium LT is . . . well . .

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#23 : April 22, 2012, 11:22:41 PM

We should count ourselves lucky if he drops to 5

+ 1 million

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

XFactor

Hall of Famer

#24 : April 22, 2012, 11:27:09 PM

semantics.  LT are premium picks often because they are rare and they protect the most important offensive "game changer," a quarterback, from often the most important defensive game changer, a DE.  Taking the best LT with a premium pick when you lack a premium LT is . . . well . .

I'm not saying that you don't need a good LT, i'm saying you don't need an elite one to win. It's an overrated position. Defenses can scheme around elite LT's.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#25 : April 22, 2012, 11:40:03 PM

Go ahead and think that Les, and I hope Speilman feels the same way.  Heck,  nab that baller Vontaze Burfic with the #3 pick before some other teams grab him.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#26 : April 22, 2012, 11:40:32 PM

I agree the tackle position is overrated. The best tackles in the game play on the worst teams. And seriously the same buffoons that want Kalil are the same ones that wanted to take Joe Thomas over Calvin Johnson in 07. Calvin Johnson has made a WAYYYYYY bigger impact on that franchise more than Thomas ever will for that offense. So if the FO is sold that Blackmon, Claiborne or Richardson can be elite NFL players at SKILL positions you take the elite skill position over OL everyday and twice on Sunday. In defense for Minnesota. They have a gaping hole at LT, Kalil is an elite talent, they run a zone oriented pass defense so investing a #3 pick isn't a neccesity. But in the same breath, Brandon Marshall, Calvin Johnson, and Greg Jennings annually for the next 7 years might be too much to swallow especially for a defensive minded coach......

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#27 : April 22, 2012, 11:42:10 PM

I'm not saying that you don't need a good LT, i'm saying you don't need an elite one to win. It's an overrated position. Defenses can scheme around elite LT's.

That may be your view but that is not the prevailing view.  This is a 2011 article from National Football Post and an agent talling about WHERE cap dollars will go in the pass happy NFL.  QBs were first and then:

Where will the money go?

Its only natural that the next best place to spend those cap dollars is protecting your QB investment by securing your best O-lineman. The Joe Thomas deal was not necessarily shocking to the agent community but the thing that did catch our attention was the amount of the guaranteed portion. Its obvious that the Browns brass felt Joe was a good place to park their cash. Joe was rewarded because he has never missed a snap and has showed to be the type of individual to have too much pride and work ethic to ever take a play off, regardless of how much he is being compensated. The fact that teams will be required to spend a higher minimum of cap dollars to meet the targets set forth in the new CBA will have teams focused on their most durable players, not just their best players.

top picks = top pay

Joe Thomas to Anthony Munoz.  The norm is to use a premium pick on LT

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

#28 : April 22, 2012, 11:53:21 PM

I sure as hell HOPE Minny thinks that!!!

This space for rent....*sigh* I trusted you coach.

GIJoeWasThere

Hall of Famer

#29 : April 22, 2012, 11:55:50 PM

Well played..... I think I am the only one that will get that right there.
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Matt Kalil « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools