Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: McShay: League sources tells me Vikings will take Claiborne « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 10

Mateen

Starter

« : April 24, 2012, 02:52:05 PM »

On ESPN not too long ago. UGH.

Should we reach for Kueluchy or trade down and get him? Fack.

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
« #1 : April 24, 2012, 02:53:06 PM »

Quote from: Mateen
On ESPN not too long ago. UGH.

Should we reach for Kueluchy or trade down and get him? Fack.

Not too worried about it. I just don't want us to trade up, if Claiborne is the guy the team values most. Sounds like a Viking smoke screen to me.

Tampa-Two

Hall of Famer

« #2 : April 24, 2012, 02:57:55 PM »

I think its a smoke screen.  If not we take Richardson. If hes gone we will get a **CENSORED**load of calls with offers for Kalil and we trade down. If we dont get any calls we take Kalil. If we dont want Kalil we take Kuechly that will be a bit of a reach.

No problem.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #3 : April 24, 2012, 02:59:01 PM »

Dont really care. Vikings and Cleveland can do whatever they want in front of us. We will get a good player at 5 that will help us out no matter what they do.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

« #4 : April 24, 2012, 03:01:08 PM »

The only thing I don't ant to see/hear is a trade UP by the Bucs.   Hell - I'll get over that too, eventually.  ;)

Everything else is gravy people...   

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

aquilus

Pro Bowler

« #5 : April 24, 2012, 03:04:17 PM »

Draft IMO will go top 5

1) Luck
2) RG3
3)Claiborne
4)Blackmon (Or Tannehill)
5) Richardson (or trade down)

BucsFan4090

Hall of Famer

« #6 : April 24, 2012, 03:05:26 PM »

KALIL!!!!!

WOOO my favorite prospect in the whole draft possibly falling to us!

Why can't it be Thursday already!!!!!

blind melon

Hall of Famer

« #7 : April 24, 2012, 03:06:45 PM »

Relevant:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/The-mystery-of-Matt-Kalil-and-the-Vikings.html

An interesting theory has begun to take hold around the NFL over the last week. The widely predicted marriage between USC offensive tackle Matt Kalil and the Minnesota Vikings may not make it to the altar.

When you think about it, this particular morsel of news shouldn’t come as a big surprise. The Vikings have several needs to address on both sides of the football and in a division that features six regular season dates against aerial attacks engineered by the likes of Aaron Rodgers, Matthew Stafford and Jay Cutler, Minnesota could be better served drafting a talented cornerback like LSU’s Morris Claiborne.

But Kalil’s potential fall from the third overall pick has come as a surprise and in the process, has sent the individuals responsible for the shock scrambling to adjust their latest projections as we approach Thursday.

Outside of a story that involves breaking news or Tim Tebow, mock drafts serve as some of the most heavily trafficked articles on football-related websites from January to April. Fans love to debate the logic behind their favorite team’s pick, writers thrive on being the first to forecast a potential marriage between team and player and editors smile at the traffic and comments. Everybody wins, or more specifically, everyone is entertained.

It seemed unlikely back in February that Morris Claiborne could end up in Minnesota. Now? Not so much.

But the problem is that mock drafts can turn a casual guess into a widely accepted “truth” that surprises the masses upon discovery of that well-educated hunch being incorrect.

The Vikings and Matt Kalil serve as the perfect example. Back in January, mock drafters slated Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck as the top pick to Indianapolis followed by a prediction that Oklahoma State wide receiver Justin Blackmon would land in St. Louis. Mock drafters were then forced to make a decision for the Vikings at No. 3. Minnesota already has a quarterback in Christian Ponder, but surrendered a league-high 50 sacks last season. Since Kalil is the highest-rated player at the left tackle position, listing him as the Vikings’ pick made sense.

And it made sense to a whole lot of people, because you couldn’t find a mock draft until recently that had anybody but Kalil going to the Vikings at No. 3. In fact, so many people bought into this thought process that everyone’s attention quickly turned to the Cleveland Browns’ selection at No. 4, since the first three picks (after the trade that saw the Redskins move up to No. 2) had become a foregone conclusion.

But here’s the kicker: Did the Vikings ever lock on to Kalil the way Indianapolis committed to Luck or Washington zeroed in on Robert Griffin III? Or was Minnesota simply content to let all of us believe in an incorrect assumption so that the team could operate in the shadows?
Matt Kalil to the Vikings made sense. So we typed it in, hit publish and moved on to more pressing issues.

But over the last week, something interesting has happened. People finally started to look at the Vikings and began making the case for somebody other than Kalil to land at No. 3.

Now, Kalil to the Vikings doesn’t make as much sense. In fact, Sports Illustrated’s Peter King wrote on Monday that if the Vikings go in a different direction, Kalil could be in play for the Buffalo Bills all the way down at No. 10.

We won’t know for sure until Thursday evening, so until that time we can continue to guess which teams will select which players.

Just be sure to remember it’s only that. A guess.
« : April 24, 2012, 03:11:39 PM blind melon »

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #8 : April 24, 2012, 03:07:24 PM »

Draft IMO will go top 5

1) Luck
2) RG3
3)Claiborne
4)Blackmon (Or Tannehill)
5) Richardson (or trade down)

Wouldnt expect a Trentersexual to expect the draft to go any other way :)

buchead

Hall of Famer

« #9 : April 24, 2012, 03:07:53 PM »

Brandon Marshall. Calvin Johnson. Entire GB receiving core. Can't blame them.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #10 : April 24, 2012, 03:07:54 PM »

Dont really care. Vikings and Cleveland can do whatever they want in front of us. We will get a good player at 5 that will help us out no matter what they do.
Agreed.

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
« #11 : April 24, 2012, 03:09:09 PM »

Since Ponder, I've just pegged the Vikings front office as idiots. I don't expect them to apply very much logic to their selection.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #12 : April 24, 2012, 03:10:20 PM »

KALIL!!!!!

WOOO my favorite prospect in the whole draft possibly falling to us!

Why can't it be Thursday already!!!!!
While he isn't my favorite, there will be absolutely NO excuses for poor line play if Kalil is on board.  The BUcs will potentially have the absolute best O-line on paper, and it isn't even close IMO.

Free will have time to throw, the run game will flourish with Blount mashing people, and The Lid Killah (Vincent Jackson) will keep things honest for everyone underneath.

Trueblood is indeed an issue, so Kalil DOES make sense on many levels.

I wouldn't be ecstatic if we get Kalil, but I wouldn't be upset.

It isn't a sexy pick at all, but a very valuable one.

timbuc1021

Pro Bowler
« #13 : April 24, 2012, 03:10:24 PM »

Since Ponder, I've just pegged the Vikings front office as idiots. I don't expect them to apply very much logic to their selection.

And that's why they will be making a top 5 pick again next year, hopefully this time to fill their need at LT.

BucsFan4090

Hall of Famer

« #14 : April 24, 2012, 03:10:52 PM »

I remember saying a while ago that if the Rams trade out that Kalil could drop to us. I was scared that the Rams would stay put and take Kalil because they need a LT but they moved back. I also thought that Claiborne would seriously end up as a Viking due to the NFC North's passing tendency with Rodgers, Stafford, and Cutler. Now that Brandon Marshall enters then NFCN it becomes more and more apparent they need a CB bad. All the while, the Bucs are now sitting in a position to get either Claiborne or Kalil. Thankfully Cleveland will hopefully do us the honor of taking Richardson and giving us the best LT prospect I feel since Joe T.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: McShay: League sources tells me Vikings will take Claiborne « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools