Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Trade interest for No. 3 'really heated up' over last 24 hours « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : April 24, 2012, 08:25:50 PM »

Posted: 3:07 pm April 24, 2012

Vikings GM Rick Spielman: Trade interest for No. 3 'really heated up' over last 24 hours

By Will Brinson

We now know that the Colts will take Andrew Luck with the first pick. We also know -- though it hasn't been unofficially officially confirmed -- that the Redskins will use the second pick on Robert Griffin III. The Vikings are ostensibly on the clock.

And according to Minnesota general manager Rick Spielman, the team is "very open" to trading that pick and talks have "really heated up" over the past 24 hours in terms of interest for that pick.

"We're going to be very open to the trade scenario," Spielman told reporters at a press conference on Tuesday. "Just to give you an update: That front has really heated up over the last 24 hours and I'm sure it'll continue to heat up as we head into Thursday night. So there will be some very important decisions going forward on the three players I mentioned, the trade scenario. Can you still get an impact player by trading back?

"Looking at our draft board and the depth of this board, we still think there's a lot of good value in this first round and go back X amount of spots."

Spielman's right: there's a ton of value found later in the top 10. In fact, there's a ton of value found moving down to the middle of the first round. The problem is, everyone else knows that too, so it's going to be tough to get someone to bite on paying what it costs to get the third overall pick.

Which is precisely why Spielman is openly discussing the possibility of trading the pick, and precisely why he's saying that plenty of teams have discussed moving up to No. 3.

"I don't see it as a benefit of doing anything before [we're on the clock]," Spielman said. "It could happen if it's offered. But I really believe it's about being patient and seeing what comes to you. There have been X amount of teams that have already started to call."

Most 2012 NFL Mock Drafts -- including all six of ours, which you can see in their fancy new format -- have the Vikings taking USC tackle Matt Kalil. They're also considering Oklahoma State wide receiver Justin Blackmon and LSU cornerback Morris Claiborne at the third pick.

But mocks don't have the Vikings necessarily taking Kalil because they're enamored of him the way the Colts and Redskins are of Luck and RG3, respectively. The Vikes are taking Kalil because they need protection for Christian Ponder and they can't get out of the third spot.

Which is why Spielman's comments sound kind of like someone who ordered the wrong thing at dinner and spends the first part of the meal talking about how delicious it is, hoping and praying that someone will get jealous and offer to trade entrees.

Whether or not the Vikings can sucker someone into making that offer -- and throwing in their dessert too -- remains to be seen. But they're certainly trying.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/18814106/vikings-gm-rick-spielman-trade-interest-for-no-3-really-heated-up-over-last-24-hours

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #1 : April 24, 2012, 09:43:30 PM »

Whether or not the Vikings can sucker someone into making that offer -- and throwing in their dessert too -- remains to be seen. But they're certainly trying.

Take note Buc fans.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

timbuc1021

Pro Bowler
« #2 : April 24, 2012, 09:47:15 PM »

All this means is that no one is calling and he's trying to drum up interest. 

Buc on the Move

Pro Bowler

« #3 : April 24, 2012, 09:49:50 PM »

Damn I pray the Bucs don't trade up to #3.  That would be STUPID!

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #4 : April 24, 2012, 09:50:45 PM »

Take note Buc fans.

No one is a sucker if they go out and get their guy. That's a farce.

(Well ok, ..maybe the skins)

Knucknbuc

Pro Bowler

« #5 : April 24, 2012, 09:51:34 PM »

GTFO here always this clown **CENSORED** comes out before the draft

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #6 : April 24, 2012, 09:54:29 PM »

Take note Buc fans.

At what price though?   Give away the whole draft for one guy?  When the team needs so many new players.   Even the 6 new guys we get this weekend won't be enough.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Bucko40

Hall of Famer
« #7 : April 24, 2012, 09:55:48 PM »

Of course the Vikings are going to say this.  If that were the case then they would have dealt the pick already.

CaptainStagger

Pro Bowler

« #8 : April 24, 2012, 09:57:59 PM »

is it just me or are the vikings using every cliché smoke screen tactic in the book.

#overacting

gone

Hall of Famer
« #9 : April 24, 2012, 10:00:44 PM »

"Which is why Spielman's comments sound kind of like someone who ordered the wrong thing at dinner and spends the first part of the meal talking about how delicious it is, hoping and praying that someone will get jealous and offer to trade entrees. "

Man that is an awesome description of what's happening, wish I came up within myself.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

« #10 : April 24, 2012, 10:01:29 PM »

I'd be extremely surprised if the Bucs traded UP.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #11 : April 24, 2012, 10:09:32 PM »

I'd be extremely surprised if the Bucs traded UP.

Agree

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #12 : April 24, 2012, 10:16:10 PM »

The trade is in the works , TR will be ours.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #13 : April 24, 2012, 10:26:09 PM »

Take note Buc fans.

At what price though?   Give away the whole draft for one guy?  When the team needs so many new players.   Even the 6 new guys we get this weekend won't be enough.

The price would probably be a third.

Big whoop really for an elite player.

Dom is the frickin' man if he does this imo.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #14 : April 24, 2012, 10:30:03 PM »

Take note Buc fans.

The price would probably be a third.

Big whoop really for an elite player.

Dom is the frickin' man if he does this imo.

We are not one player away. Not a good trade for us.
  Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Trade interest for No. 3 'really heated up' over last 24 hours « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools