Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BCS leaders discussing 4-team playoff « previous next »
Page: 1

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

: April 25, 2012, 02:21:05 AM

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7851441/source-bcs-exploring-neutral-site-4-team-playoff-format

BCS considers neutral-site proposal
Updated: April 24, 2012, 7:47 PM ET
By Mark Schlabach | ESPN.com

If Football Bowl Subdivision conference commissioners and the sport's other power brokers approve a four-team playoff to determine college football's national champion, the semifinals and the national championship game will be played at neutral sites and the BCS bowl games will be played closer to New Year's Day, a source familiar with the negotiations told ESPN.com on Tuesday.

Commissioners of the 11 FBS conferences, Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick and other network TV and college football officials are meeting in Hollywood, Fla., this week to discuss the future of the BCS.

The source said he believed the commissioners "are too far out on a limb to turn back now," but said there were still many details yet to be finalized. A final decision on the BCS isn't expected this week, but the commissioners and other officials are expected to begin hammering out many of the details of a four-team playoff.

The proposed changes wouldn't go into effect until the 2014 season. The current BCS system, in which the top two teams in the final BCS standings play in a national championship game at the site of one of the current BCS bowls (Fiesta, Orange, Rose and Sugar), will remain in place over the next two seasons.

"I don't know how they could walk back at this point, but they might," the source said. "I think because they're dealing in a world of compromise, I think there's a chance they could only tweak the current system and only deal with No. 1 versus No. 2. But I think they're too far out on a limb to turn back now."

The BCS hopes to emerge from these meetings in Florida with no more than two or three football postseason proposals to be brought to conference leaders soon, BCS executive director Bill Han**CENSORED** told ESPN's Joe Schad Tuesday.

"They know this game is in the fourth quarter," Han**CENSORED** said. "And it's time to get it done."

A proposal to play the semifinal games at the home stadiums of the higher-seeded teams is all but dead, according to the source. The semifinal games will either be hosted by the existing BCS bowl games or opened for bidding. The source said it seemed almost certain that the national championship game will be opened to bidding by the existing BCS bowl sites and other cities such as Atlanta, Dallas and Indianapolis.

The conference commissioners have reached a conclusion that some FBS schools' stadiums aren't large enough to host a national semifinal game and that many college towns don't have enough hotel rooms to accommodate bigger crowds.

"What happens if TCU finishes No. 2 in the country and hosts a semifinal game?" the source said. "TCU finished No. 3 two years ago. Are they really hosting No. 3 Ohio State in a 45,000-seat stadium? Where are people going to stay if Oregon hosts a semifinal game? In Portland? As much as it would be great for the sport to see a game played in Ann Arbor, Mich., Tuscaloosa, Ala., or Lincoln, Neb., some of the logistical issues are just too severe. I think that idea has come home to roost as far as these guys are concerned."

The source said a proposal that would require teams to win their respective conferences to participate in a playoff is also all but dead. Under that proposal, Alabama, which didn't win the SEC last season but defeated No. 1 LSU 21-0 in the Jan. 9 Allstate BCS National Championship Game, wouldn't have been eligible for the playoffs.

Conference commissioners are still debating about what to do with the Rose Bowl as well, according to the source. Rose Bowl officials repeatedly have said they prefer to keep their traditional matchup between Big Ten and Pac-12 teams; Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany and Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott also favor keeping the traditional tie-in intact. But if the Rose Bowl isn't willing to give up its affiliations with those conferences, it might fall out of a potential national semifinals rotation. However, the Rose Bowl would still be eligible to bid for a national championship game.

The source said the conference commissioners also are eager "to take back New Year's Day." Last season, 35 college bowl games were played between Dec. 17 and Jan. 9. Of the traditional New Year's Day bowl games, only the Rose and Fiesta bowls were played on Jan. 2 (New Year's Day fell on a Sunday this year, a day reserved for the NFL). The Sugar Bowl was played on Jan. 3 and the Orange Bowl on Jan. 4.

The source said the commissioners would prefer to play the national semifinal games on New Year's Day and have the winning teams play in a championship game about a week later.

STERN11354

Starter

#1 : April 25, 2012, 11:24:17 AM

Nice article.  Too bad the guy's last name has to also have the male anatomy in it.  Reading "Han**CENSORED**" is no fun.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#2 : April 29, 2012, 09:09:10 AM

Nice article.  Too bad the guy's last name has to also have the male anatomy in it.  Reading "Han**CENSORED**" is no fun.

It is rather amusing trying to figure out the "Forbidden" words on PWR.  Still haven't figured out what is wrong with the word su**CENSORED**ious?  Suzpicous  Must be some new ebonic way of spelling the word!  LOL

Guess the properly written word is getting fazed out in our highly conflicted PC world.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#3 : April 29, 2012, 08:45:58 PM

su**CENSORED**ion, **CENSORED**e, Han**CENSORED**, **CENSORED**tator, all get censored but you are free to type penis, vagina, clitoris, fellatio, or cunnilingus to your hearts content

So you can't type that Victoria Beckham was in the "**CENSORED**e Girls" but you can type comments about her vagina. I don't get it.. 

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#4 : June 20, 2012, 10:58:25 PM

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8078786/bcs-commissioners-reach-consensus-four-team-college-football-playoff

Consensus reached on playoff
Updated: June 20, 2012, 10:15 PM ET
By Adam Rittenberg and Mark Schlabach | ESPN.com

CHICAGO -- The BCS commissioners and Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick on Wednesday endorsed a seeded four-team playoff model for college football that would begin for the 2014 season.

The commissioners' consensus must be approved by the BCS presidential oversight committee, which meets June 26 in Washington, D.C. If approved, the four-team playoff would replace the current BCS system, which has been in place since 1998.

Sources told ESPN.com that under the recommended model, four participating teams would be selected by a committee, which would consider certain criteria such as conference championships and strength of schedule.

The two national semifinal games would be played within the existing BCS bowl games (Fiesta, Orange, Rose and Sugar) on a rotating basis, with the host sites being predetermined before each season. The national championship game would be offered to the highest bidding city.

"We're very unified," Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany said. "There are issues that have yet to be finalized. There's always devil in the detail, from the model to the selection process, but clearly we've made a lot of progress."

We're very unified. There are issues that have yet to be finalized. There's always devil in the detail, from the model to the selection process, but clearly we've made a lot of progress.

-- Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany
Pac 12 commissioner Larry Scott said the recommendation was the product of a lot of negotiating and cooperation among the commissioners.

"I'm sure it won't satisfy everyone," Scott said. "Until you have an eight-team or 16-team seeded playoff, there will be folks out there that aren't completely satisfied. We get that. But we're trying to balance other important parties, like the value of the regular season, the bowls, the academic calendar."

The BCS commissioners have met five times since the national title game in New Orleans, including a four-hour session Wednesday. SEC commissioner Mike Slive, who likened the process to a marathon, said, "My hope is we've done 26 [miles]. My hope is we have .2 to go."

The presidential oversight committee, which includes a representative from each of the FBS conferences and Notre Dame, still is expected to discuss multiple models next week, including a plus-one format proposed by presidents from the Big Ten and Pac 12.

"The fact that there will be a full and complete discussion is totally appropriate," Slive said. "Obviously, we have put forth a consensus four-team playoff model, and we wouldn't do that if we didn't feel it was appropriate."

Until you have an eight-team or 16-team seeded playoff, there will be folks out there that aren't completely satisfied. We get that. But we're trying to balance other important parties, like the value of the regular season, the bowls, the academic calendar.

-- Pac 12 commissioner Larry Scott
The presidents' committee could either approve the recommended four-team model or direct the commissioners to work out its remaining details.

"I'm sure all of the I's and T's won't be crossed and dotted," Scott said. "The presidents just have to decide whether they want to go in this particular direction that we're coming out with. Every other detail, I feel comfortable can be worked out."

ACC commissioner John Swofford said the commissioners have agreed on the principles of how the increased TV revenue will be distributed among the participating conferences. Industry sources have indicated a four-team playoff might be worth as much as $400 million to $500 million annually.

"We've agreed to the principles," Swofford said. "It's hard to move past the principles if you don't know what the market value is. Everyone agrees that financially this is going to be good for everyone in the room."

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#5 : June 27, 2012, 08:46:10 AM

Thank. God.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--football-playoff-approved.html;_ylt=AqyvSOtgkbqr5WL2yJ5jeCA5nYcB

Finally, it's a reality: Presidents sign off on a four-team college football playoff system

WASHINGTON A group of 12 college presidents passed a plan for college football to have a four-team playoff starting with the 2014 season.

The BCS Presidential Oversight Committee emerged from a meeting at the Dupont Circle Hotel late Tuesday afternoon to announce they have adopted the playoff format that had been approved last week by the commissioners of the 11 BCS conferences.

The first playoff will take place after the 2014 season. There will be four teams, and the semifinals will be rotated among six bowl games over the life of the contract, with the championship game put up for bid. A selection committee will rank the teams, based on factors including head-to-head matchups.

Semifinals will be held on Dec. 31 and Jan. 1; the championship game will be played on the first Monday that is at least six days after the last semifinal. The first playoff game will be Dec. 31, 2014.

This ends years of debate over the idea of a college football playoff, a subject that has even drawn the attention of President Barack Obama, who has been an advocate of a playoff system.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#6 : June 27, 2012, 12:54:28 PM

I'm sure in the future the playoff system will be expanded. This is a good start though.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#7 : July 01, 2012, 01:50:26 PM

I'm sure in the future the playoff system will be expanded.

I hope not. I don't want a situation where teams are already "IN" before playing the last game. I want OSU/Mich, UF/FSU, Bama/Auburn, etc. to still be meaningful and not a "rest your starters" game.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#8 : July 06, 2012, 09:26:56 PM

I hope not. I don't want a situation where teams are already "IN" before playing the last game. I want OSU/Mich, UF/FSU, Bama/Auburn, etc. to still be meaningful and not a "rest your starters" game.

If you require a conference championship to get in, as well as won/loss records, SOS I don't believe that will be a problem.  Lets just say two teams with identical records are playing their last regular season game and both have their conferences wrapped up and a trip to their conference championship game.  Team A rests its starters and loses its last game.  Team B plays all out and wins its last game. Both win their conference championship.   By won/loss record alone Team A is eliminated.    If they both win their regular final games does it really matter if the starters are rested or not?  They both still have to win their championship game and even then it may come down to another factor all things being equal on the won/loss front.

I have always favored an 8 team playoff with conference champions getting in as well as a few at large teams with the first round played at the home of the higher seeded team.

That still gives you 4 teams on New Years day with the championship the next weekend. 

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#9 : July 22, 2012, 11:54:58 AM

If you require a conference championship to get in, as well as won/loss records, SOS I don't believe that will be a problem.  Lets just say two teams with identical records are playing their last regular season game and both have their conferences wrapped up and a trip to their conference championship game.  Team A rests its starters and loses its last game.  Team B plays all out and wins its last game. Both win their conference championship.   By won/loss record alone Team A is eliminated.    If they both win their regular final games does it really matter if the starters are rested or not?  They both still have to win their championship game and even then it may come down to another factor all things being equal on the won/loss front.

I have always favored an 8 team playoff with conference champions getting in as well as a few at large teams with the first round played at the home of the higher seeded team.

That still gives you 4 teams on New Years day with the championship the next weekend.
I think requiring a conference championship game to get in would be huge. So you don't have teams like Texas and Oklahoma getting in without fully deserving it.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#10 : August 04, 2012, 04:34:10 PM

I think requiring a conference championship game to get in would be huge. So you don't have teams like Texas and Oklahoma getting in without fully deserving it.

Then Bama wouldn't have gotten in last yr.

Also, some of the divisions in a conference aren't balanced like the North side of the Big 12 is FAR weaker than the Tex, Ok, Ok St. side.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#11 : August 05, 2012, 10:22:41 PM

Then Bama wouldn't have gotten in last yr.

Also, some of the divisions in a conference aren't balanced like the North side of the Big 12 is FAR weaker than the Tex, Ok, Ok St. side.

First and foremost is won/loss record.... next is conference championship all things being equal they would get priority with identical won/loss records.   Last season it would have been Okie State, Oregon, LSU ,and Bama..  Wisconsin and Clemson would have been left out due to having too many losses. 

Now Bama wouldn't have made it had there been 3 other teams with only 1 loss that won their conference championship game along with LSU. That of course wasn't the case.
Stating one team or conference is weaker than another without them actually playing each other is just speculation. Prove it on the field.

In an 8 team situation Bama still would have made it as a at large team but would have had to play on the road for their first game due to an at large status.   Losing their regular season game to LSU would put them in jeopardy and wouldn't be assured a playoff spot until the regular season ended.  Problem solved..

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#12 : August 06, 2012, 04:12:33 PM

I truly believe it was never a question of fairness but more a question of how they are going to sell the playoff system to get as much money as they did in the bowl system.

I'm not a huge CFB fan but I'm curious on how exactly this will play out.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

Runole

Hall of Famer
#13 : August 11, 2012, 05:19:40 PM

I truly believe it was never a question of fairness but more a question of how they are going to sell the playoff system to get as much money as they did in the bowl system.

I'm not a huge CFB fan but I'm curious on how exactly this will play out.

It indeed will be interesting.  I am a big fan of CFB but not its "American Idol" format with a vote being the decision maker to who goes to the championship game.  Hopefully, this will be the first correct step in the direction that every other level of football and almost every other sport decides its championship.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BCS leaders discussing 4-team playoff « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools