Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 27 years without a Pro Bowl, for top-five Bucs picks. « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: April 26, 2012, 12:12:15 AM

Fennelly: No reason for Bucs to try to do more with less

2011, THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Martin Fennelly's advice: If Morris Claiborne is there when the Bucs pick at No. 5, take him.

By MARTIN FENNELLY | mfennelly@tampatrib.com
Published:  April 25, 2012 - 9:02 PM

It's a position of strength.

You just went 4-12, but it's a position of strength.

That's what the Bucs need to keep saying during tonight's NFL draft.

None of this trading up from No. 5 stuff. You don't subtract picks.

If anything, you add them. Trading down is an option, a good one.

If Morris Claiborne is there when the Bucs pick at No. 5, take him.

If Trent Richardson is there, too, take Claiborne. Unless you think Richardson is in a class by himself (maybe) and will never get injured (forget it), trade down.

I'm not jumping over anyone, mortgaging much of anything for either man. No trading second-round picks. A third-rounder maybe, but that won't be the scenario.

It's a scary thing, when how you draft possibly hinges on what Minnesota does at 3. Aren't the Vikings the ones who once lost a draft pick because their time on the clock ran out?

There now appears a chance Minnesota might take Claiborne at No.3. The Browns, at No. 4, like Richardson.

The Bucs would still be in a position of strength at 5.

Jump to No. 3? It would cost too much, and this team could get a running back later, for sure. Claiborne would have to be the man and has anyone said that yet?

By the way, the Bucs' last No. 3 pick was Gerald McCoy and that cat can't stay on the field.

Yeah, a running back has a better chance at not getting beaten up.

The Bucs can still get the best receiver in the draft, Justin Blackmon, or the best offensive lineman, Matt Kalil, or the best linebacker, Luke Kuechly.

Blackmon is my guy in that bunch, another offensive weapon for the upcoming Josh Freeman acid test.

Or trade down and pick up a different cornerback and get another pick, maybe from the Rams, who badly want Blackmon.

I'm not taking Kalil, I'm shopping the pick and moving down before I take him. I would think the Bills, in need of earth movers, would move up from 10 in a heartbeat. I'm not taking Kuechly at 5. I just don't see an inside linebacker that high.

The Bucs traded up to get Freeman in 2009. But moving up to 3 would cost more than what moving up for Freeman did, a lot more.

In theory, a No. 5 should be a perennial Pro Bowler. Yes, you can miss in the top 10 of the draft. You can miss in the top 5. You can miss at No. 1. Bucs history teaches us all of that.

The Bucs are one of only two NFL teams to hit the Hall of Fame jackpot on the first pick in franchise history, with Lee Roy Selmon (the Cowboys' first-ever pick was another defensive tackle, Bob Lilly).

But there is this:

There have been nine top-five draft picks in Bucs history and they've combined for six Pro Bowls with the team and Lee Roy has all six, the last in 1984.

That's 27 years without a Pro Bowl for top-five Bucs picks.

That is simply astonishing.

Blackmon is the guy I'd take at 5 if Claiborne and Richardson are gone. True, I just checked and the Bucs have drafted two receivers in the first round: Reidel Anthony and Michael Clayton. I still say Blackmon or trade down and add a pick.

Just don't do any major subtraction today, there are too many holes.

You can pick a winner at 5.

It's just a matter of being right.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#1 : April 26, 2012, 12:13:43 AM

RIGHT on Fen.

nubcake

Hall of Famer

#2 : April 26, 2012, 12:16:22 AM

All the more reason to trade down ;)

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#3 : April 26, 2012, 12:20:28 AM

Blackmon would be a great pick if Claiborne and Richardson are off the board. Him or Kuechly would be fine with me.

bashear

Hall of Famer

#4 : April 26, 2012, 12:51:35 AM

The Bucs have all sorts of "fails" as a franchise. Still love them.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#5 : April 26, 2012, 01:24:17 AM

Well that is GD depressing.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#6 : April 26, 2012, 10:56:23 AM

Blackmon would be a great pick if Claiborne and Richardson are off the board. Him or Kuechly would be fine with me.

Not a Kalil fan?

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

bobcs2

Rookie

#7 : April 26, 2012, 11:07:15 AM

I am nervous. All this talk of Vikings taking moclay pisses me off lol, they should take Kalil and leave us for Moclay.

Also OP - Let us not forget that we HAVE drafted players that although are not ProBowl right now, I have NO DOUBT that one full year healthy with McCoy will immediately change opinion on him, and will put him atleast in the vote. Come year 2, yeah - Probowler. And we have Freeman who if repeats his 2010 season, there's no reason he wouldn't be in the vote (top 10 i know, but he can be included lol xD )

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#8 : April 26, 2012, 11:08:21 AM

Not a Kalil fan?

Id be fine with him too. Really I dont know what we should do. Any of those 3 guys would be fine with me.

champkind

Hall of Famer

#9 : April 26, 2012, 11:13:50 AM

I hate Fennelly's one-sentence paragraph hack job "articles." I didn't even read it; Just can't stand that smug prick.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#10 : April 26, 2012, 11:37:09 AM

I hate Fennelly's one-sentence paragraph hack job "articles." I didn't even read it; Just can't stand that smug prick.

That time of the month has rolled around again I see.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

J Buc

Second String
#11 : April 26, 2012, 02:14:29 PM

All the more reason to trade down ;)

This

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#12 : April 26, 2012, 02:30:49 PM

Can we please stop pretending like pro bowl selections are the greatest honor and represent the best that the league has to offer....??

Lets start using "All Pro" selections. The pro bowl has everything to do with popularity..and seems like it is about to be phased out all together...

The ultimaate evidence that pro bowls dont represent the best players in the league....Donald Penn and Davin Joseph have been selected...those two are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too incosistent....and will never be "all pro"

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

bucs63

Starter

#13 : April 26, 2012, 02:34:29 PM

Can we please stop pretending like pro bowl selections are the greatest honor and represent the best that the league has to offer....??

Lets start using "All Pro" selections. The pro bowl has everything to do with popularity..and seems like it is about to be phased out all together...
I wouldn't hurt this franchise to have a few guys invited to sit at the popular table.

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#14 : April 26, 2012, 02:35:44 PM

x2

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 27 years without a Pro Bowl, for top-five Bucs picks. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools