Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NFL.com: Barron is a "game changer" and the only elite Safety in the draft « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

: April 27, 2012, 04:03:43 AM

"The instincts, the big-play ability, the toughness, the athletic ability -- he's a game-changer," one NFC executive said. "And he's the type of person that makes the guys around him better. Plus, he makes a lot of plays on his own. With some of these kids, you have to go through three or four games to see them make five plays. This guy makes five plays in one quarter. He can do anything you want him to."

Barron is considered the only truly elite prospect in this crop of safeties. Notre Dame's Harrison Smith might sneak in the end of the first round, but that's a result of the fact that there's another steep drop-off after him. One exec said his club has a mid-second-round grade on Smith and added he's "not a difference-maker." Another exec said his team views the former Irish captain as a late-second-round or third-round prospect.

Link

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d8289608d/article/mark-barron-in-high-demand-for-safetystarved-nfl-teams

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#1 : April 27, 2012, 04:05:10 AM

I agree with this.   I thought Barron was one of the 3 guys they should have taken if Richardson was gone.    Kalil, Kuechly and Barron were the 3 guys.   I'd have preferred Kuechly, but Barron will be a baller.

BucsFan4090

Hall of Famer

#2 : April 27, 2012, 04:08:31 AM

Well I am glad that you feel Barron is a good pick Java. At least you aren't complaining about it.

Kalil was my favorite as well and I was heartbroken when I saw the Vikings take him but that was just nothing but smokescreens.

I wanted Kuechly as well but you know what...it is what it is. We still get a damn good defensive player out of this.

DEBUCSOWN

Starter

#3 : April 27, 2012, 04:46:25 AM

Id take an elite corner over an elite safety any day. Still can't believe we did that.

Go Bucs

flashgordon

Pro Bowler
#4 : April 27, 2012, 05:01:31 AM

i've often noted that the superbowl teams always seem to have great safeties; i just didn't know a lot about him . . . till like two days before the draft did I bother to watch him on youtube!  Of course, they don't have much on him;

Texas Alexander(probably with Lonnie Johnson) - Bellcow blues,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDCXTSKOkhM

Bucfan2thedeath

Second String

#5 : April 27, 2012, 06:06:23 AM

Id take an elite corner over an elite safety any day. Still can't believe we did that.

Obviously the Bucs (including Claiborne's position coach) didn't feel Mo was an elite corner.  Whether that is true or not remains to be seen, but some people on here simply assume Claiborne is elite despite the fact that he did not face ANY WR's of that caliber over the course of his career.  Do you think it's possible that Claiborne's DB coach knows something about him that you don't?  Maybe?

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#6 : April 27, 2012, 06:12:35 AM

Do you think it's possible that Claiborne's DB coach knows something about him that you don't?  Maybe?

Exactly!

DEBUCSOWN

Starter

#7 : April 27, 2012, 06:15:25 AM

Regardless of what his position coach thinks any expert will tell you Claiborne has a better chance of being elite then barron. Barron went so early because it was a huge drop off after him.

Go Bucs

bucinnj

Hall of Famer

#8 : April 27, 2012, 06:17:31 AM

Do you think it's possible that Claiborne's DB coach knows something about him that you don't?  Maybe?

Exactly!

This speaks volumes, folks.  Think about it.  Cooper has spent tons of time with this guy and if he thought Claiborne was the real deal he would be a Buccaneer.

Turn the page.

nitey

Hall of Famer
#9 : April 27, 2012, 07:25:54 AM

If you watched Gruden's analysis of Claiborne after the Dallas pick, he showed a number of clips of Claiborne missing open tackles, not using his size at the line to re-direct big wide receivers and two clips of Claiborne getting caught up in traffic when he should have quickly moved laterally to make the play. Gruden said that he didn't like Claiborne.

On the other hand, Gruden gushed about Barron. Said that the guy is never out of position, always wraps up and makes the tackle and plays very consistently snap to snap.

The problem with YouTube highlights is that you always see the best that the player has to offer and as fans, we rarely see the entire picture on a player. I have to say that I was in Claiborne's camp prior to the draft, but after watching Gruden's tape, I'll trust that the coaches saw more in Barron than the did in Claiborne.

I like the pick and I love the Martin pick. I can see both as future pro bowl players.

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
#10 : April 27, 2012, 07:33:42 AM

I was most concerned about this position heading into the draft, wasn't too fond of Harrison Smith out of ND, I liked Taylor out of LSU, but he seemed more developmental to me.

beardmcdoug

Pro Bowler

#11 : April 27, 2012, 07:35:00 AM

Exactly!
+1

lol I find your avatar pic to be quite fitting for every time I read about somebody saying "coulda / shoulda / woulda" about Claiborne

Buc45

Starter
#12 : April 27, 2012, 07:40:55 AM

Mayock says that Claiborne's problem is that he falls down/loses footing often...That can be a big problem in the NFL... I said from the beginning that he was not an elite corner. 

djrobbied530

Second String

#13 : April 27, 2012, 07:44:15 AM

Exactly!

This speaks volumes, folks.  Think about it.  Cooper has spent tons of time with this guy and if he thought Claiborne was the real deal he would be a Buccaneer.

I think we really are overestimating how much pull a positions coach has on draft picks. Cooper could have pushed hard, and we said no dice, we don't want him. Doesn't mean Cooper didn't want him, it just means that Dominik, Schiano wanted to go a different direction.

I'm in favor of the pick. And I'm not on the Kuechly bandwagon. For me, Hightower > Kuechly.

bucinnj

Hall of Famer

#14 : April 27, 2012, 07:50:20 AM

Exactly!

I think we really are overestimating how much pull a positions coach has on draft picks. Cooper could have pushed hard, and we said no dice, we don't want him. Doesn't mean Cooper didn't want him, it just means that Dominik, Schiano wanted to go a different direction.

I'm in favor of the pick. And I'm not on the Kuechly bandwagon. For me, Hightower > Kuechly.

In theory, I do believe that too much stock is put into the pull that a position coach has sometimes.
However, in this case, I really felt like the Bucs were strongly looking at Claiborne until recently.
I think his attitude, more than the low Wonderlic, turned them off.

Turn the page.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NFL.com: Barron is a "game changer" and the only elite Safety in the draft « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools