Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NFL.com: Barron is a "game changer" and the only elite Safety in the draft « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Ft Myers Buc Fan

Hall of Famer
#45 : April 27, 2012, 04:51:06 PM

Safety play is an issue.  But so was cornerback play and depth.  Claiborne should have been the pick, period.

The Bucs employ Claiborne's position coach from college...three years plus recruiting....yet you....a guy on a message board have it all figured out?

ok.
I DO have it figured out.

I said Clayton sucked for years.  What happened?  Dom.

I said Black sucked out loud.  What happened?  Dom.

Tanard was resigned...and promptly cut BEFORE the draft?  What happened?  Dom.

Bucs drafted a punter in round 6.  A PUNTER who is not even on the team, never really made it.  Dom.

Thelist goes on and on, but I tell you one thing:  I would have done NONE of that.  That is stupid.

Bypassing the #1 CB prospect for the #1 safety prospect is...dumb.  People bag on MoMo for not caring about the wonderlic, but Dom gets a pass for his lunacy?  Ok.

YOU got it figured out Rye Rye.

If MD had Claiborne rated as the #1 CB but took  his #1 rated Safety over him then yes, that would be stupid.  However, that is not what happended.  Obviously, the Bucs didnt have an elite grade on Claiborne. We will need to wait a few years to see if MD made a stupid decision

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#46 : April 27, 2012, 04:58:45 PM

If MD had Claiborne rated as the #1 CB but took  his #1 rated Safety over him then yes, that would be stupid.  However, that is not what happended.  Obviously, the Bucs didnt have an elite grade on Claiborne. We will need to wait a few years to see if MD made a stupid decision

I guess I don't follow you here.  Only 1 CB went before Barron, so regardless of who the Bucs rated as the #1 CB, they took their #1 Safety over him.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#47 : April 27, 2012, 04:59:10 PM

I was worried the Bucs were going to pick Claiborne. After the trade down I was certain they wouldn't, so that was a relief.

J Buc

Second String
#48 : April 27, 2012, 05:02:51 PM

If you watched Gruden's analysis of Claiborne after the Dallas pick, he showed a number of clips of Claiborne missing open tackles, not using his size at the line to re-direct big wide receivers and two clips of Claiborne getting caught up in traffic when he should have quickly moved laterally to make the play. Gruden said that he didn't like Claiborne.

On the other hand, Gruden gushed about Barron. Said that the guy is never out of position, always wraps up and makes the tackle and plays very consistently snap to snap.

The problem with YouTube highlights is that you always see the best that the player has to offer and as fans, we rarely see the entire picture on a player. I have to say that I was in Claiborne's camp prior to the draft, but after watching Gruden's tape, I'll trust that the coaches saw more in Barron than the did in Claiborne.

I like the pick and I love the Martin pick. I can see both as future pro bowl players.

^^^ This over and over again like Groundhog Day

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

#49 : April 27, 2012, 05:04:09 PM

Bold...just remember...you have also been wrong before.

This space for rent....*sigh* I trusted you coach.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#50 : April 27, 2012, 05:15:38 PM

I admit I wasn't a100% confident about Claiborne with that wonderlic thing and also his own coach didn't put a good enough word for him at 5? Come on. Barrron was a surprise pick for me so I never thought of him ever being the pick. I always thought of Keuchly being the guy we really wanted. But now that I've gotten to read more and watch his play he was the right pick. Our defense play really dropped off when Grimm got hurt last year. With how bad those LBs tackle they needed a good guy who sets that tone. I think Barron does that. Its one piece to the puzzle of putting together that punishing defense we once had. Get a couple solid LBs and a corner and I think we're looking pretty good.

Ft Myers Buc Fan

Hall of Famer
#51 : April 27, 2012, 05:32:41 PM

I guess I don't follow you here.  Only 1 CB went before Barron, so regardless of who the Bucs rated as the #1 CB, they took their #1 Safety over him.

I believe the argument here is that and elite CB should trump an elite S on a draft board. In our case,there are people who think that Dominik is stupid for trading back to take Barron instead of taking Claiborne at #5  because the CB position holds more value than the Safety position  if you have both players graded about the same.  My point is that Dominik didnt have Claiborned graded as high as Barron so this is not a valid arguement.  Only time will tell if the evaluations were correc or not.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#52 : April 27, 2012, 05:44:37 PM

Safety play is an issue.  But so was cornerback play and depth.  Claiborne should have been the pick, period.

The Bucs employ Claiborne's position coach from college...three years plus recruiting....yet you....a guy on a message board have it all figured out?

ok.
I DO have it figured out.

I said Clayton sucked for years.  What happened?  Dom.

I said Black sucked out loud.  What happened?  Dom.

Tanard was resigned...and promptly cut BEFORE the draft?  What happened?  Dom.

Bucs drafted a punter in round 6.  A PUNTER who is not even on the team, never really made it.  Dom.

Thelist goes on and on, but I tell you one thing:  I would have done NONE of that.  That is stupid.

Bypassing the #1 CB prospect for the #1 safety prospect is...dumb.  People bag on MoMo for not caring about the wonderlic, but Dom gets a pass for his lunacy?  Ok.

YOU got it figured out Rye Rye.

Classic message board "logic."  "I hate Dom" ergo every pick made by Dom is bad.  Love it. This pick is awfulk because  of Clayton, Black and a punter . . . . . . rock solid

bucinnj

Hall of Famer

#53 : April 27, 2012, 05:59:39 PM

I believe the argument here is that and elite CB should trump an elite S on a draft board. In our case,there are people who think that Dominik is stupid for trading back to take Barron instead of taking Claiborne at #5  because the CB position holds more value than the Safety position  if you have both players graded about the same.  My point is that Dominik didnt have Claiborned graded as high as Barron so this is not a valid arguement.  Only time will tell if the evaluations were correc or not.

True for the most part.
I just don't think that "time" is the only factor.
There are many factors that can't be evaluated unless the player was on a different team or in a different scenario.

Using Claiborne for as the example, five years down the road we won't be able to truly assess:

1) How he WOULD'VE performed in our system
2) How he WOULD'VE done surrounded by our personnel
3) How he WOULD'VE responded to our coaching

Just because a guy is successful somewhere doesn't mean that his success will just transfer over into ANY system or set of circumstances.
It's great fun to speculate but we will never true know unless that player was here with us.
Since he isn't, I say "Go Mark Barron!!!!"

Turn the page.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#54 : April 27, 2012, 06:39:18 PM

I like Barron well enough, but I'm not sure he'll ever be a "game-changer".  Polamalu, Reed, and Berry are the only "game-changing" Safety's in the league right now, and Barron's not on their level as a player.  Good, solid NFL player though.  But I still think picking him @ 7 was a reach.  Hope he turns into that game-changer over time.

As a fan if we are sitting here debating whether or not a player the Bucs picked will be a solid NFL player or and "elite" NFL player, I think's that what's called a win/win especially after trading down.

I think that is what makes this a mixed feeling for me.  If there are only five projected players as "elite" in the draft was the trade down worth it for the Bucs?  I don't know, but lets hope Barron and/or Martin become elite.

They're projected as elite by people outside of the league.  They don't know the inner workings of the individual teams and what each one is looking for.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NFL.com: Barron is a "game changer" and the only elite Safety in the draft « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools