Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Dominik « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 10

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
: April 29, 2012, 10:27:25 AM

What a breath of fresh air this guy has been since the departure of Bruce Allen. This team has never been younger or more promising in the history of the franchise. Every GM makes mistakes, and he's had a few, but the future has never looked better. The pieces are falling into place, and it's young talent. We're not dependent on some other team's castoffs, and we are building a solid foundation mainly through the draft. I can't wait to see how this roster shakes out between now and September. Some very talented people will be looking for jobs with other teams. The guys that remain will have the benefit of a much improved coaching staff.

It's time to be supportive and encourage these players to reach their true potential. Black was a monster in college. I'm counting on these coaches to make him a monster in the NFL

The Bucs aren't going to the SB this year, but they do have a legitimate shot at the playoffs. They beat the two playoff teams from our division last year, with a weaker roster and questionable coaching. I like our chances.

The Bucs are much better off now than they were in 2008. Mark Dominik is largely responsible for that.

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

#1 : April 29, 2012, 10:31:02 AM

It's interesting.

Every January, this entire board wants Dominik out of town, citing poor drafts and shoddy player acquisition.  Then, sure enough, May rolls around and -- after a promising draft, and his raping of the undrafted free agent market -- he's a genius again.

I wonder, when all is said and done, which side will win.

DeltaBuc5

Hall of Famer

#2 : April 29, 2012, 10:32:15 AM

It's interesting.

Every January, this entire board wants Dominik out of town, citing poor drafts and shoddy player acquisition.  Then, sure enough, May rolls around and -- after a promising draft, and his raping of the undrafted free agent market -- he's a genius again.

Let me get back to you next January.

Raheem33

Rookie
#3 : April 29, 2012, 10:42:56 AM

I hope the negativity about Dominik ends now/ What a great offseason from the coaching hire to free agency and now a great draft. He has done a fantastic job

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#4 : April 29, 2012, 10:44:06 AM

It's interesting.

ROFLMAO.  So true Blaze

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#5 : April 29, 2012, 10:49:02 AM

If Freeman has a 2010 like season Dom will be seen as a genius.  It's all on Freeman now.

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

#6 : April 29, 2012, 10:56:17 AM

I hope the negativity about Dominik ends now/ What a great offseason from the coaching hire to free agency and now a great draft. He has done a fantastic job

Even his draft day failures have had promise and purpose.  Hell, take a look at his seventh rounders: Cody Grimm, Erik Lorig, Sammie Stroughter, EJ Biggers, and Dekoda Watson (despite their struggles) have all outplayed their draft status.  We've gotten more out of Grimm, Lorig, and Biggers than we did from seven years of late-round Gruden/Allen picks (save, maybe, Torrie Cox or Geno Hayes).  Then you look at players like Josh Freeman and Mike Williams -- underrated prospects who have the potential to be among the best at their position (if they can shake off the rust from the Raheem regime... the Rah-gime).

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#7 : April 29, 2012, 10:57:59 AM

Draft has been his strong suit. He made the bulk of his mistakes last year in free agency. Resigning Black and True to those hefty extensions and then doing nothing to upgrade our team hurt us last season a lot. That's why it's hard to understand why he didn't get the boot with Raheem. He was a big part of the collapse last year as he chose the players. With that said I think he learned cause he had a pretty solid free agency this year and had another good draft.

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

#8 : April 29, 2012, 10:59:31 AM

Draft has been his strong suit. He made the bulk of his mistakes last year in free agency. Resigning Black and True to those hefty extensions and then doing nothing to upgrade our team hurt us last season a lot. That's why it's hard to understand why he didn't get the boot with Raheem. He was a big part of the collapse last year as he chose the players. With that said I think he learned cause he had a pretty solid free agency this year and had another good draft.

He's definitely not the financial wizard Allen was.  Some of these contracts he gives out make you wonder what he values in a player... because it's not talent.

chetthevette

Practice Squad
#9 : April 29, 2012, 11:14:40 AM

Very nice job this weekend. I did not know who any of our late rounderes were, but after checking them out I'm not to dis appointed. I never saw Barron as our 1st rounder, and I don't think anyone in ant other teams war room did either.
I questioned taking a saftey 1st seeing that it just doesn't happen that often, but I'll stay optimistic with the pick. but the best thing Dom did was slide right in front of the giants and nab Martin. Man I know they were spinning around in
New York when that happened. Anytime a Tampa team breaks it off on a New York team I just get giddy. But when it's all said and done Lavonte David will be the steall of the entire draft. I've been watching this guy all last season at
Nebraska and I'm going to say this, "the next Derrick Brooks". Well maybe not, but hopefully close. Nobody will ever replace #55.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#10 : April 29, 2012, 11:21:53 AM

He's definitely not the financial wizard Allen was.  Some of these contracts he gives out make you wonder what he values in a player... because it's not talent.

You can call him a wizard if you want to, but he got what he paid for, which was typically nothing. Cap wizard, I would agree with, but not much in gauging talent.

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

#11 : April 29, 2012, 11:22:19 AM

Very nice job this weekend. I did not know who any of our late rounderes were, but after checking them out I'm not to dis appointed. I never saw Barron as our 1st rounder, and I don't think anyone in ant other teams war room did either.
I questioned taking a saftey 1st seeing that it just doesn't happen that often, but I'll stay optimistic with the pick. but the best thing Dom did was slide right in front of the giants and nab Martin. Man I know they were spinning around in
New York when that happened. Anytime a Tampa team breaks it off on a New York team I just get giddy. But when it's all said and done Lavonte David will be the steall of the entire draft. I've been watching this guy all last season at
Nebraska and I'm going to say this, "the next Derrick Brooks". Well maybe not, but hopefully close. Nobody will ever replace #55.

Actually, you'd be surprised.

2001 saw two safeties off the board in the first 30 picks.  Ditto 2002.  2003, 2004, and 2005 gave us Troy Polamalu, Sean Taylor, and Antrell Rolle (who, to be fair, was more of a tweener at corner/safety).  2006, we saw two safeties taken in the first round.  Four of them went in 2007.  Kenny Phillips was 2008's lone first-round safety, and after none in 2009, Eric Berry and Early Thomas went early in 2010.  That's 16 first-round safeties in a decade, more than the 90s (14), the 80s (13), and the 70s (12).  But we've averaged more than a first-round safety per year since the mid-60s, which isn't a blinding number, but is much more frequent than I would've guessed.

DeltaBuc5

Hall of Famer

#12 : April 29, 2012, 11:27:53 AM

He was a financial wizard because all he had to do was sign a pair of deadbeat 34 year olds every couple of years

He never had to deal with structuring contracts for several players in their prime in one off season.

Naismith

Hall of Famer
#13 : April 29, 2012, 11:32:19 AM

Good numbers there, plus Barron was the only elite safety in a really poor class and the Bucs cut their only safety that has performed at a high level so Barron going for a premium pick makes perfect sense.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

bashear

Hall of Famer

#14 : April 29, 2012, 11:43:58 AM

Good numbers there, plus Barron was the only elite safety in a really poor class and the Bucs cut their only safety that has performed at a high level so Barron going for a premium pick makes perfect sense.
I was shocked to hear that we had drafted Barron. I knew he was a good player and that he was considered one of the safest players in the draft, but I was also bummed that we hadn't received more for dropping down. I hadn't read much about Barron, since I thought there was no way the Bucs would draft him, but the more I read about him and watch highlights, the more I like the pick.

How we were able to use the 4th we picked up really made the draft. I thought Dom did a very nice job in the draft, but we'll have to see how this pans out on the field.

Nevertheless, Dom stock=up.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Dominik « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools