Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Doug Martin is not a lock to start. « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 9 10 11

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
« #150 : May 01, 2012, 07:25:53 PM »

Good pre-draft article coming out of Boise.....

Will pass-happy NFL undervalue Doug Martin?

Boise State running back Doug Martin finished his college career with 3,431 rushing yards and 43 rushing touchdowns. He’s projected to go in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft. JOE JASZEWSKI — Idaho Statesman

Boise State’s Doug Martin is, by consensus, the second-best running back prospect in the NFL Draft. At just about any point in the last half century that would make Martin a certain first-round pick.

But Martin is entering the NFL at a time when running backs are less valued than ever before. Last year, Heisman Trophy winner Mark Ingram was selected in the first round, the first time since 1963 that only one running back was picked in the first round.

Alabama’s Trent Richardson, a likely top-5 pick, is the only running back assured of going in the first round in this week’s draft, leaving Martin (and the ESPN cameras that will be following him at his grandfather’s home in California) in limbo. In the last three drafts, just six running backs have been taken in the first round.

Can Martin buck that trend during Thursday evening’s first round or will he have to wait for Friday’s second round to hear his name called?

“If I did go in the first round that would be awesome,” said Martin, who finished his Boise State career with 3,431 rushing yards and 43 touchdowns. “In the end, being in the NFL and being able to play is the opportunity every athlete wants to have.”

NFL teams still need quality backs. In fact, they need more rushers than ever before as more teams turn toward committee approaches at the position. But they just aren’t as willing to spend high draft picks or big free-agent dollars on them.

They don’t have to.

The last 11 Super Bowl champions have had unheralded running backs and many have used a committee, including the New York Giants who have won titles in the last five years with Brandon Jacobs (a fourth-round pick) and Ahmad Bradshaw (undrafted free agent) in the backfield. Neither one will be heading to Canton when their careers are over.

ESPN analyst Bill Polian, a longtime NFL general manager who won the Super Bowl with Joseph Addai and Dominic Rhodes as the primary ballcarriers, said teams aren’t willing to pony up for veteran backs.

Matt Forte and Ray Rice, two of the most productive running backs in the league, are seeking long-term deals from Chicago and Baltimore, respectively. Those teams, however, have been reluctant to pay, aware of the quick declines by many top rushers.

“The running back position is one with a short shelf life in professional football. Those guys take a terrible pounding,” Polian said. “When is the best time to get them? When they’re rookies. If they’re courageous enough to pass block, they can play right away. The transition isn’t that great. They’re fresh. There is plenty of tread on their tires. I would argue the best time to get a back is through the draft and keep replenishing that.”

While you can survive — and thrive — with a rag-tag bunch at running back, you better have a quarterback. In the last 11 years, Super Bowls have been won by Eli Manning, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Ben Roethlisberger, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and Brad Johnson. Only Johnson has no chance of landing in the Hall of Fame.

“It’s more of a passing league these days. They pass the ball all over the place and don’t worry too much about the run,” Martin said.

As such, running backs have to do much more than run the ball. They must be able to catch it and, importantly, to pass protect.

“They want you to be a complete back,” Martin said. “It’s very important for me to showcase that to teams. I want to perform in a way that can bring value back to the position.”

They’ve taken notice of his all-around skills — one reason his draft stock is climbing. NFL Network’s Mike Mayock ranked him as the No. 17 prospect in the draft in his final projections.

Martin had 67 catches for 715 yards and four touchdowns in his career. His physical style, as seen on special teams and his brief stint on defense, translated to pass protection. Though he missed most of the TCU game with an injury, Martin’s pass protection skills were valued enough that he was inserted into the game to pass block on the final possession.

Will it be enough to force his way into the first round, to overcome the league-wide trend away from taking running backs that high?

An anxious Martin will be watching — and waiting.

Read more here: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2012/04/25/2090850/will-pass-happy-nfl-undervalue.html#storylink=misearch#storylink=cpy

Bucko40

Hall of Famer
« #151 : May 01, 2012, 09:12:46 PM »

It's funny how everywhere I read they say Martin is an instant starter. If I were Blount I would take this as a challenge and say hey, Iv'e got something to say about this and Martin will have to beat me out. Remember everyone, Blount has not had a full camp with the Bucs so he had to step in and learn on the fly. This will be his first chance to bear down and learn and we have the coaching staff to help him. Blount is not incapable of blocking or catching out of the backfield. All he has to do is apply himself and that is the key. Blount and Martin will make a great 1-2 punch. Can't wait for the season!

Unfortunately for the Blount fans in the house he more than likely is gone after this season. If Martin and Smith prove themselves then Blount is expendable next year.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #152 : May 01, 2012, 09:27:53 PM »

Unfortunately for the Blount haters....Blount is still a restricted free agent next year. He has no rights. If we don't want to give him a long term contract, we can make him play for us for another year for very cheap. He isn't going anywhere.

Draft Aaron Donald

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #153 : May 01, 2012, 09:58:57 PM »

If Martin (or Barron) doesn't start in 2012, then one might consider both of them to be a draft bust.

Dominik may need to be on notice if that happens.

Is Wilson a bust if he doesn't start for the Giants?

-------------------------------------------------------

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #154 : May 01, 2012, 10:02:38 PM »

Carnell Williams was horrible at blocking and very average at receiving when he was drafted 5th overall but by the time he left Tampa, catching and blocking were his strongest attributes.

They were his only attributes...and the catching wasn't more than average.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #155 : May 02, 2012, 05:16:47 AM »

Pick: Doug Martin, RB, Boise State

Buc affected: LeGarrette Blount

Martin reminds coach Greg Schiano of Ravens and former Rutgers running back Ray Rice for his ability to play all three downs. He is an effective route runner, has good hands and can pass protect. Unless the Bucs missed on Martin, he will be the starting tailback. But he had at least 20 rushing attempts only 13 times in 38 career games at Boise State. It takes two running backs to be effective running the football in the NFL, and the powerful inside running of Blount will be used, especially late in games. This should be a nice tandem.

Rick Stroud

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #156 : May 02, 2012, 05:50:12 AM »

It's funny how everywhere I read they say Martin is an instant starter. If I were Blount I would take this as a challenge and say hey, Iv'e got something to say about this and Martin will have to beat me out. Remember everyone, Blount has not had a full camp with the Bucs so he had to step in and learn on the fly. This will be his first chance to bear down and learn and we have the coaching staff to help him. Blount is not incapable of blocking or catching out of the backfield. All he has to do is apply himself and that is the key. Blount and Martin will make a great 1-2 punch. Can't wait for the season!

Unfortunately for the Blount fans in the house he more than likely is gone after this season. If Martin and Smith prove themselves then Blount is expendable next year.

He's got his role on the team. Not necessarily counting on a 7th rounder to make a large impact (it could happen). Maybe with some good coaching, he'll stop putting the ball on the ground.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #157 : May 02, 2012, 07:04:34 AM »

Pick: Doug Martin, RB, Boise State

Buc affected: LeGarrette Blount

Martin reminds coach Greg Schiano of Ravens and former Rutgers running back Ray Rice for his ability to play all three downs. He is an effective route runner, has good hands and can pass protect. Unless the Bucs missed on Martin, he will be the starting tailback. But he had at least 20 rushing attempts only 13 times in 38 career games at Boise State. It takes two running backs to be effective running the football in the NFL, and the powerful inside running of Blount will be used, especially late in games. This should be a nice tandem.

Rick Stroud

You had bolded the wrong part so I fixed it for you.

Draft Aaron Donald

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #158 : May 02, 2012, 07:07:33 AM »

If Martin (or Barron) doesn't start in 2012, then one might consider both of them to be a draft bust.

I always get a kick when Buc fans compare their team w/ World Champion teams. They forget that the Bucs finished the 2011 as arguably the worst team in the NFL and in a ten game losing streak - but they still like to think they're as good as the team that won it all. SMH.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #159 : May 02, 2012, 07:11:52 AM »

Giants finished dead last in rushing last year. Worst in the entire NFL. Plus they cut Brandon Jacobs. Then they take a RB in the first round....but David doesn't need to start because the Giants are different than the Bucs. Um...ok. Sure.

Draft Aaron Donald

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #160 : May 02, 2012, 07:34:17 AM »

I always get a kick when Buc fans compare their team w/ World Champion teams. They forget that the Bucs finished the 2011 as arguably the worst team in the NFL and in a ten game losing streak - but they still like to think they're as good as the team that won it all. SMH.

Geezus man, Sammy Davis Jr couldn't have tap danced around answering the question any better than that. Awesome job!!

By the way...... see JDub's post above!!

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #161 : May 02, 2012, 09:07:23 AM »

I always get a kick when Buc fans compare their team w/ World Champion teams.

Sweet.  I get a kick when clueless people ram their foot down their throat and then spend 10+ pages trying to remove said foot.

PassThePigSkin

Hall of Famer

« #162 : May 02, 2012, 09:55:02 AM »

I always get a kick when Buc fans compare their team w/ World Champion teams.

Sweet.  I get a kick when clueless people ram their foot down their throat and then spend 10+ pages trying to remove said foot.

+1

White Tiger

Starter
« #163 : April 26, 2013, 10:26:38 PM »

Hey Morgan - remember this from last year?

Doug Martin wants to know:

Ha' ya' Like Me NAH?!

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #164 : April 27, 2013, 01:09:12 AM »

lol

Draft Aaron Donald

Page: 1 ... 9 10 11
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Doug Martin is not a lock to start. « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools