Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What makes Schiano different than other college coaches turn HC in the NFL? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 7

BucfanNC12

Pro Bowler

: May 02, 2012, 09:41:03 AM

We all know from the past college coaches who leapfrog to head coach in the NFL usually don't do well. As a fan I am impressed with the FA moves like acquiring V. Jackson and C. Nicks although I am so-so about E. Wright. As far as the draft, this may be the best one we had in years. It appears all the pieces are slowing coming together.  One thing that concerns me about the entire coaching staff is they have more college experience combined than NFL experience. I understand the excitement among fans but I am trying to figure out what make Schiano different than other coaches who were in the same situation.  This isn't about bashing the man, I just trying to figure out why fans really think we can get like nine wins this year. Realistically, I see us being a powerhouse in another year or two, but I don't think it'll be immediate as some suggest.

Thoughts?

MarineBuc

Starter

#1 : May 02, 2012, 09:44:38 AM

I like the hire...now. The knock I heard about Schiano is his ability to make adjustments during a game and his overall ability to be a game day manager. That concerns me...but I will wait and see how that plays out.

I do not think we are going to be world beaters this year...too many new variables. BUT, I do see this team as being a contender is the 2-3 yr window.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#2 : May 02, 2012, 09:44:46 AM

Nothing yet.  He hasn't done anything yet.  Every coach talks a big game before a season starts... see Rex Ryan.  We'll have to wait until December to really know if he's any different.

Ironworker808

Second String

#3 : May 02, 2012, 09:47:26 AM

Because he's OUR college coach turned HC in the NFL.

OneTruth

Pro Bowler

#4 : May 02, 2012, 09:51:10 AM

Jimmy Johnson? Dik Vermeil? Bobby Ross? Tom Coughlin?

The real point is that the job suffers a lot of turnover no matter what your pedigree.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/2007-12-13-4190722396_x.htm
: May 02, 2012, 09:54:47 AM OneTruth

TB5219

Starter
#5 : May 02, 2012, 10:07:15 AM

I like the hire...now. The knock I heard about Schiano is his ability to make adjustments during a game and his overall ability to be a game day manager. That concerns me...but I will wait and see how that plays out.

I do not think we are going to be world beaters this year...too many new variables. BUT, I do see this team as being a contender is the 2-3 yr window.

+1

\"When you find yourself in a position of strength, a position of power or authority, you can go one way or the other. You can be a man built for others, which is all about effort and empathy. Or you can just walk around acting like your better than everyone else, which is basically arrogance and indifference about the world around you.\"
- Joe Ehrmann

MarineBuc

Starter

#6 : May 02, 2012, 10:35:01 AM

Because he made a GREAT gesture to young man today...Eric LeGrande.

THAT makes him different/better!!!

Sweep

Hall of Famer
#7 : May 02, 2012, 10:47:33 AM

We all know from the past college coaches who leapfrog to head coach in the NFL usually don't do well. 

BucFanNC12,

Have you ever done a quick study on the percentages of success/failure for any new NFL coach?  Don't take this personally, because you're not alone.  Many in the media were (and still are)  eluding to the success rate of coaches making the  jump from college to the NFL.
I feel sorry for Coach Schiano or anyone else having to repeatedly and politely  answer this nonsense.  Please Tampa media....think before you ask such ignorant questions.

Its going to look to some people like a different play every time we use it, but pretty soon theyll be able to recognize it....by watching the official for the first-down signal.   -Vincent T. Lombardi

BucfanNC12

Pro Bowler

#8 : May 02, 2012, 11:31:16 AM

Yes I did. There are very few Jim  Harbaughs. I am excited but I am trying to figure out why many fans think it'll be a 360 degree difference in one year.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#9 : May 02, 2012, 11:32:09 AM

This stuff kills me. Honestly, the amount of coaches that get hired from promotion to HC to later get fired rate is about the same rate as college coaches to NFL coaches rate. Just because you hired a former NFL HC or assistant doesn't mean we're likely to turn the franchise around.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#10 : May 02, 2012, 11:34:24 AM

The difference is in who he has advising him IMO. He selected them for a reason and he will listen to them. My impression is that he will make the final decision because he is the leader, but he wants options to consider from people who have other experiences. Schiano spent 11 years at Rutgers just making the football program respectable. He could have moved on to a larger school or even the NFL several years ago. Maybe he was hoping to take over for Joe Paterno at Penn State. I don't know. The fact is, he was loyal to Rutgers and dedicated to his job there. Vince Lombardi always wanted to coach the Giants. He never got the chance. I don't believe Schiano has an ambition to coach anywhere else. I believe he is where he wants to be. That's why he was so calculating and deliberate forming his coaching staff. He wanted the right people around him. This team won't win the SB this year, but they will be competitive. The playoffs are not out of reach, and none of the teams in our division are unbeatable.

If his start so far is any indicator, I expect Sciano to be here for a decade or two, maybe three. People respect him as a coach and as a man. His players will respond to that. They will know they can trust what he says, and they will know he's not their drinking buddy.

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#11 : May 02, 2012, 11:37:09 AM

I'm happy with the move so far. We have shifted to getting guys who love football and will do anything to get better. Much better than the guys who are good at football and do nothing to get better.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#12 : May 02, 2012, 11:51:11 AM

Very very stupid thread.....He is a different coach with different ideas and a different philosophy from every other coach on the planet. Why are you trying to act like all college coaches are the same. Like I said just stupid.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#13 : May 02, 2012, 12:06:20 PM

This stuff kills me. Honestly, the amount of coaches that get hired from promotion to HC to later get fired rate is about the same rate as college coaches to NFL coaches rate. Just because you hired a former NFL HC or assistant doesn't mean we're likely to turn the franchise around.

The hire/fire rate isn't the issue... that's where most people get confused.  It's about best opportunity of success.  Here is a list of coaches that have coached AT LEAST 4 seasons and are going into their 5th... take notice how many came from college.

TEAMCOACHPrevious Job
EaglesAndy ReidPackers QB Coach
PatriotsBill BelichickJets DB Coach
BengalsMarvin LewisRedskins DC
BearsLovie SmithRams DC
GiantsTom CoughlinJaguars HC
PackersMike McCarthy49ers OC
TexansGary KubiakBroncos OC
SaintsSean PaytonCowboys QB Coach
CardinalsKen WhisenhuntSteelers OC
SteelersMike TomlinVikings DC
ChargersNorv Turner49ers OC
FalconsMike SmithJaguars DC
RavensJohn HarbaughEagles ST/DB Coach

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#14 : May 02, 2012, 12:08:40 PM

Schiano is going to be a great HC.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What makes Schiano different than other college coaches turn HC in the NFL? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools