Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What makes Schiano different than other college coaches turn HC in the NFL? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 7

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#15 : May 02, 2012, 12:08:50 PM

Very very stupid thread.....He is a different coach with different ideas and a different philosophy from every other coach on the planet. Why are you trying to act like all college coaches are the same. Like I said just stupid.

Stop it!  You're only saying that because he's our coach.  If the Rams hired him, you'd have a completely different opinion of Schiano.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#16 : May 02, 2012, 12:17:54 PM

This stuff kills me. Honestly, the amount of coaches that get hired from promotion to HC to later get fired rate is about the same rate as college coaches to NFL coaches rate. Just because you hired a former NFL HC or assistant doesn't mean we're likely to turn the franchise around.

The hire/fire rate isn't the issue... that's where most people get confused.  It's about best opportunity of success.  Here is a list of coaches that have coached AT LEAST 4 seasons and are going into their 5th... take notice how many came from college.

TEAMCOACHPrevious Job
EaglesAndy ReidPackers QB Coach
PatriotsBill BelichickJets DB Coach
BengalsMarvin LewisRedskins DC
BearsLovie SmithRams DC
GiantsTom CoughlinJaguars HC
PackersMike McCarthy49ers OC
TexansGary KubiakBroncos OC
SaintsSean PaytonCowboys QB Coach
CardinalsKen WhisenhuntSteelers OC
SteelersMike TomlinVikings DC
ChargersNorv Turner49ers OC
FalconsMike SmithJaguars DC
RavensJohn HarbaughEagles ST/DB Coach
Opportunity of success, seriously? You realize those coaches had success from the start they got hired? Most coaches that jump from assistant to HC that get canned from <4 seasons is because they never showed progress. Its not that hard of a concept.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#17 : May 02, 2012, 12:23:43 PM

Don't forget Butch Davis & Jimmy Raye witj a ton of NFL experience guiding him. The thing I like about Schiano is he checks his ego at the door and has a great pedigree. Let's give him our support and a chance.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#18 : May 02, 2012, 12:30:39 PM

This stuff kills me. Honestly, the amount of coaches that get hired from promotion to HC to later get fired rate is about the same rate as college coaches to NFL coaches rate. Just because you hired a former NFL HC or assistant doesn't mean we're likely to turn the franchise around.

The hire/fire rate isn't the issue... that's where most people get confused.  It's about best opportunity of success.  Here is a list of coaches that have coached AT LEAST 4 seasons and are going into their 5th... take notice how many came from college.

TEAMCOACHPrevious Job
EaglesAndy ReidPackers QB Coach
PatriotsBill BelichickJets DB Coach
BengalsMarvin LewisRedskins DC
BearsLovie SmithRams DC
GiantsTom CoughlinJaguars HC
PackersMike McCarthy49ers OC
TexansGary KubiakBroncos OC
SaintsSean PaytonCowboys QB Coach
CardinalsKen WhisenhuntSteelers OC
SteelersMike TomlinVikings DC
ChargersNorv Turner49ers OC
FalconsMike SmithJaguars DC
RavensJohn HarbaughEagles ST/DB Coach
Opportunity of success, seriously? You realize those coaches had success from the start they got hired? Most coaches that jump from assistant to HC that get canned from <4 seasons is because they never showed progress. Its not that hard of a concept.

I'm sorry... what?  All of these guys started somewhere... where ever it was is irrelavant.  The point is, that NONE of them took over their current position coming from the college ranks. I don't care how or why any coach gets fired, the point is that these coaches are the longest tenured in the league and almost all of them have a .500 record or better... again, none came right from college.  This is an obvious depiction of how coaches being hired from a current NFL team have a higher rate of success.  Note again... there are ZERO coaches in this list that came straight from college.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#19 : May 02, 2012, 12:34:23 PM

I hated the Kelly pick because he'd never seen an NFL team. He would have been 100% out of his league. Rutgers has at least been around an NFL team that is what gives me some hope for him. He knows what the NFL looks like even if everything he says tells me he still doesn't quite get it.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#20 : May 02, 2012, 12:40:45 PM

I think Schiano is coming into a favorable situation where many college coaches come into teams full of veterans and guys who have already established themselves. Its harder to gain respect from them. Schiano is coming to a team thats a bunch of kids and they had zero discipline last year. He can come in and demand respect right away after a bad season. A lot of these guys are in their last chances to make an impression in this league. They need to perform just as much as Schiano does so it makes a right fit. They can work together on  this. 

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#21 : May 02, 2012, 12:51:24 PM

We all know from the past college coaches who leapfrog to head coach in the NFL usually don't do well. 

BucFanNC12,

Have you ever done a quick study on the percentages of success/failure for any new NFL coach?  Don't take this personally, because you're not alone.  Many in the media were (and still are)  eluding to the success rate of coaches making the  jump from college to the NFL.
I feel sorry for Coach Schiano or anyone else having to repeatedly and politely  answer this nonsense.  Please Tampa media....think before you ask such ignorant questions.

This is such a huge fallacy and a perfect example of bending stats to fit one's argument.  You are talking about two separate groups of data...college coaches vs nfl coordinators.  One has a much smaller pool of data.  If all things were equal I guarantee college coaches would have a much higher rate of failure but there isn't a large enough pool of college coaches to really make a solid conclusion.  On teh surface, college coaches do not fair well for a variety of reasons....they're just not well prepared for the complexity of the NFL.  Several recent coaching failures have come out and said as such.   There are many reasons why a coach may not be successful whether an exp OC/DC or a college head coach.  Bottom line, is that many of the college guys don't have the professional background to be successful.  It is what it is....college is not the pros and it is much harder.  Your post is a big huge fail in so many ways and just another rationalization to make yourself and other Buc fans feel "different" about hiring a college coach.

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#22 : May 02, 2012, 12:57:55 PM

Schiano is going to be a great HC.

Link?

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#23 : May 02, 2012, 12:58:20 PM

What's tonight's lottery numbers? Sounds like you can see into the future.

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#24 : May 02, 2012, 01:02:00 PM

The difference is in who he has advising him IMO. He selected them for a reason and he will listen to them. My impression is that he will make the final decision because he is the leader, but he wants options to consider from people who have other experiences. Schiano spent 11 years at Rutgers just making the football program respectable. He could have moved on to a larger school or even the NFL several years ago. Maybe he was hoping to take over for Joe Paterno at Penn State. I don't know. The fact is, he was loyal to Rutgers and dedicated to his job there. Vince Lombardi always wanted to coach the Giants. He never got the chance. I don't believe Schiano has an ambition to coach anywhere else. I believe he is where he wants to be. That's why he was so calculating and deliberate forming his coaching staff. He wanted the right people around him. This team won't win the SB this year, but they will be competitive. The playoffs are not out of reach, and none of the teams in our division are unbeatable.

If his start so far is any indicator, I expect Sciano to be here for a decade or two, maybe three. People respect him as a coach and as a man. His players will respond to that. They will know they can trust what he says, and they will know he's not their drinking buddy.

Wow....deliberate?  This is the exact kind of crap that drives me nuts...revisionist much?  He had a super hard time filling out a staff becuase we waited so long to hire a guy who in 11 never won the super tough Big Least.  We were rejected countless times by other teams who would NOT let us talk to staff members.  Calculating?  BUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA  We have third and fourth choices in some spots b/c we have our third or fourth choice at head coach.  The whole staff is leftovers.

Whatever makes some of you feel good.  Schiano has a lot to prove.  Discipline doesn't win games....X's and O's do.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#25 : May 02, 2012, 01:09:18 PM

A lot of us like what we see Anomaly. Also many of us who like what we see so far are also waiting to see how he does when the games are actually played. Were not gonna be all negative and dissing him now when nothing has happened. So far hes done the right moves and he deserves to get some praise for now. I think most of us know tho that the real stuff is when the games start. Thats a little while from now and now is the time to talk draft and other things. Hes done a good job at what he has had to do so far. I dont see the wrong in giving him praise for that. Its not like we dont care how he does in the game but this stuff is important too.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#26 : May 02, 2012, 01:58:14 PM

The difference is in who he has advising him IMO. He selected them for a reason and he will listen to them. My impression is that he will make the final decision because he is the leader, but he wants options to consider from people who have other experiences. Schiano spent 11 years at Rutgers just making the football program respectable. He could have moved on to a larger school or even the NFL several years ago. Maybe he was hoping to take over for Joe Paterno at Penn State. I don't know. The fact is, he was loyal to Rutgers and dedicated to his job there. Vince Lombardi always wanted to coach the Giants. He never got the chance. I don't believe Schiano has an ambition to coach anywhere else. I believe he is where he wants to be. That's why he was so calculating and deliberate forming his coaching staff. He wanted the right people around him. This team won't win the SB this year, but they will be competitive. The playoffs are not out of reach, and none of the teams in our division are unbeatable.

If his start so far is any indicator, I expect Sciano to be here for a decade or two, maybe three. People respect him as a coach and as a man. His players will respond to that. They will know they can trust what he says, and they will know he's not their drinking buddy.
I'm not sure about the two or three decades part. It's tough for ANY coach not to burn out at some point. But a very good post nevertheless. If you could take Dungy's best traits, Gruden's best traits, understand how to draft, get guys who mostly stay out of trouble and rid yourself of those who do ... then that's what Schiano COULD be. It's a very high goal, but exciting to ponder. Let's see if he can reach it.

In Verner We Trust

Bschucher

Hall of Famer
#27 : May 02, 2012, 01:59:35 PM

Link?

Would your reply have been the same if he said Schiano is going to be a terrible head coach?

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#28 : May 02, 2012, 02:00:44 PM

I'm not sure about the two or three decades part. It's tough for ANY coach not to burn out at some point. But a very good post nevertheless. If you could take Dungy's best traits, Gruden's best traits, understand how to draft, get guys who mostly stay out of trouble and rid yourself of those who do ... then that's what Schiano COULD be. It's a very high goal, but exciting to ponder. Let's see if he can reach it.

Im cheering for him to get there. Why wouldnt we?

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#29 : May 02, 2012, 02:15:22 PM

Wow....deliberate?  This is the exact kind of crap that drives me nuts...revisionist much?  He had a super hard time filling out a staff becuase we waited so long to hire a guy who in 11 never won the super tough Big Least.  We were rejected countless times by other teams who would NOT let us talk to staff members.  Calculating?  BUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA  We have third and fourth choices in some spots b/c we have our third or fourth choice at head coach.  The whole staff is leftovers.

Whatever makes some of you feel good.  Schiano has a lot to prove.  Discipline doesn't win games....X's and O's do.

Watch it. You may lose your Buccaneer fandom/homer card with that kind of talk.
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What makes Schiano different than other college coaches turn HC in the NFL? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools