Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What makes Schiano different than other college coaches turn HC in the NFL? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7

You Mad

Pro Bowler

#30 : May 02, 2012, 02:15:29 PM

I'm still holding out hope the Glazers will jump out at any moment and say " Just Kidding! We actually Hired Chudzinski!"

(jk)

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#31 : May 02, 2012, 02:20:11 PM

If you look at all the failed college coaches, pretty much all of them had bad QB's. Nick Saban had broken down Daunte Culpepper, Steve Spurrier had Patrick Ramsey, Butch Davis had Tim Couch and Kelly Holcomb, and Dennis Erickson had Rick Mirer, old Warren Moon, Jon Kitna, and Tim Rattay.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#32 : May 02, 2012, 02:24:02 PM

I'm still holding out hope the Glazers will jump out at any moment and say " Just Kidding! We actually Hired Chudzinski!"

(jk)

After this season, Chud will be carrying Schiano's pads (figuratively speaking of course).

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#33 : May 02, 2012, 02:27:54 PM

If you look at all the failed college coaches, pretty much all of them had bad QB's. Nick Saban had broken down Daunte Culpepper, Steve Spurrier had Patrick Ramsey, Butch Davis had Tim Couch and Kelly Holcomb, and Dennis Erickson had Rick Mirer, old Warren Moon, Jon Kitna, and Tim Rattay.

Interesting take.  Never looked at it from that standpoint.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#34 : May 02, 2012, 03:42:28 PM

The difference is in who he has advising him IMO. He selected them for a reason and he will listen to them. My impression is that he will make the final decision because he is the leader, but he wants options to consider from people who have other experiences. Schiano spent 11 years at Rutgers just making the football program respectable. He could have moved on to a larger school or even the NFL several years ago. Maybe he was hoping to take over for Joe Paterno at Penn State. I don't know. The fact is, he was loyal to Rutgers and dedicated to his job there. Vince Lombardi always wanted to coach the Giants. He never got the chance. I don't believe Schiano has an ambition to coach anywhere else. I believe he is where he wants to be. That's why he was so calculating and deliberate forming his coaching staff. He wanted the right people around him. This team won't win the SB this year, but they will be competitive. The playoffs are not out of reach, and none of the teams in our division are unbeatable.

If his start so far is any indicator, I expect Sciano to be here for a decade or two, maybe three. People respect him as a coach and as a man. His players will respond to that. They will know they can trust what he says, and they will know he's not their drinking buddy.
I'm not sure about the two or three decades part. It's tough for ANY coach not to burn out at some point. But a very good post nevertheless. If you could take Dungy's best traits, Gruden's best traits, understand how to draft, get guys who mostly stay out of trouble and rid yourself of those who do ... then that's what Schiano COULD be. It's a very high goal, but exciting to ponder. Let's see if he can reach it.

Im cheering for him to get there. Why wouldnt we?
Some people would rather be right than have the Bucs win. Glad you're not one of those numbskulls, BucBalla.

In Verner We Trust

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#35 : May 02, 2012, 04:00:38 PM

The difference is in who he has advising him IMO. He selected them for a reason and he will listen to them. My impression is that he will make the final decision because he is the leader, but he wants options to consider from people who have other experiences. Schiano spent 11 years at Rutgers just making the football program respectable. He could have moved on to a larger school or even the NFL several years ago. Maybe he was hoping to take over for Joe Paterno at Penn State. I don't know. The fact is, he was loyal to Rutgers and dedicated to his job there. Vince Lombardi always wanted to coach the Giants. He never got the chance. I don't believe Schiano has an ambition to coach anywhere else. I believe he is where he wants to be. That's why he was so calculating and deliberate forming his coaching staff. He wanted the right people around him. This team won't win the SB this year, but they will be competitive. The playoffs are not out of reach, and none of the teams in our division are unbeatable.

If his start so far is any indicator, I expect Sciano to be here for a decade or two, maybe three. People respect him as a coach and as a man. His players will respond to that. They will know they can trust what he says, and they will know he's not their drinking buddy.
I'm not sure about the two or three decades part. It's tough for ANY coach not to burn out at some point. But a very good post nevertheless. If you could take Dungy's best traits, Gruden's best traits, understand how to draft, get guys who mostly stay out of trouble and rid yourself of those who do ... then that's what Schiano COULD be. It's a very high goal, but exciting to ponder. Let's see if he can reach it.

Im cheering for him to get there. Why wouldnt we?
Some people would rather be right than have the Bucs win. Glad you're not one of those numbskulls, BucBalla.

I find it sad that some people assume that just because a person believes the powers that be are wrong in their decision making, are hoping and rooting to be right.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#36 : May 02, 2012, 04:02:53 PM

I just want our team to do well. Whether my predictions are right or wrong make it fun.

bucfan33

Pro Bowler
#37 : May 02, 2012, 04:09:29 PM

I also think Schiano is coming in with a lot less ego then the 4 coaches you mentioned. Just by the advisors and coordinators with NFL experience he put on his staff and his willingness to admit when he may have things to learn about the NFL. I think his knowledge, ability to communicate and personality will lead to his success.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#38 : May 02, 2012, 04:19:14 PM

I also think Schiano is coming in with a lot less ego then the 4 coaches you mentioned. Just by the advisors and coordinators with NFL experience he put on his staff and his willingness to admit when he may have things to learn about the NFL. I think his knowledge, ability to communicate and personality will lead to his success.

I don't know that I agree with that.  I think everyone of these coaches... even the one's still in the college ranks ALL have ego's.  I just think that Schiano isn't as flamboyant about it or flashy.  Rutgers and northeast college football have never been on page 1 of any sports section... not even in the northeast.  There isn't / wasn't a lot of national attention on Rutgers or Schiano.  All those other guys that FRG mentioned were nationally recognized because of the championships they won and the calibre of program they built.  I also believe that nationally, there is significantly less national attention and pressure on Schiano compared to said coaches.  If Schiano flops, no one but Bucs fans will even care or bat an eye... if he succeeds, it will be 'were'd this guy come from?'.  I think that plays to Schiano's favor.

Bucko40

Hall of Famer

#39 : May 02, 2012, 04:57:08 PM

Hell he can't be any worse than the last dog and pony show we had coaching this team. At least the Bucs organization has surrounded him with talented assistants this time. Only time will tell though. hold tight it should be an interesting ride. Go Bucs.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#40 : May 02, 2012, 05:05:39 PM

Hell he can't be any worse than the last dog and pony show we had coaching this team. At least the Bucs organization has surrounded him with talented assistants this time. Only time will tell though. hold tight it should be an interesting ride. Go Bucs.
Why does everyone keep saying Schiano's assistants are so much better than Morris'? Time will tell but on paper Morris' assistants were generally more qualified. Bates had been one of the more respected DC's of the last 20 years, Olson was OC for one of Marc Bulgers' best years, Mangurian had a lot of success, Nunn and Wash are doing well after getting fired, Pat Morris is well respected, and so is Keith Millard. I always thought Morris' assistants were pretty good and it was Morris himself who screwed everything up.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#41 : May 02, 2012, 05:09:38 PM

Why does everyone keep saying Schiano's assistants are so much better than Morris'? Time will tell but on paper Morris' assistants were generally more qualified. Bates had been one of the more respected DC's of the last 20 years, Olson was OC for one of Marc Bulgers' best years, Mangurian had a lot of success, Nunn and Wash are doing well after getting fired, Pat Morris is well respected, and so is Keith Millard. I always thought Morris' assistants were pretty good and it was Morris himself who screwed everything up.

revisionist history and pure optimism.  the change in the two regimes is the Culture.  and i believe that will be just as if not more important than the change in coaching.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#42 : May 02, 2012, 06:19:20 PM

So what you are saying is it is better go get a guy who hasn't ever won anything because then he has no reason to think he knows it all. Fascinating thought.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

gone

Hall of Famer
#43 : May 02, 2012, 08:04:11 PM

We had this conversation a while ago. 

http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2011/09/02/a-thought-about-the-san-francisco-49ers-jim-harbaugh-and-busting-the-college-coach-myth/

Type of Coach   No.   Play.   Yrs   Pct Playoffs
Other Asst.      11   20   41   48.8%
College HC   14   23   53   43.4%
Former HC      49   72   197   36.5%
Off Coord.      28   40   111   36.0%
Def Coord.      31   47   148   31.8%

As you can see the sample size is small, but the percentages aren't damning.

The main point of the numbers is that the people who say college coaches fare worse don't really have a leg to stand on.  We all  know the sample sizes are small for all brands.  If you want to throw the data out for college coaches then you ahve to throw it out for retreads too. 

There is a name recognition bias in the failures of college coaches, as they are already well known and when they flame out it is known nationaly -- everyone remembers spurrier and Saban for example.  Not many people remember when a random coordinator who got promoted gets fired other than their local franchise.  So the data is sklewed in posters heads as they can name more college coaches who blew up than coaches from other areas.  Reality is there isn't enough of a proven statistical sample to definitively say college coaches fail more.  What data we do have tends to show the opposite.  So if you are set in your opinion that it is a fact that they fail, then you are doing it out of belief rather than empiricism.   Religion rather than science.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#44 : May 02, 2012, 08:11:21 PM

I'm happy with the move so far. We have shifted to getting guys who love football and will do anything to get better. Much better than the guys who are good at football and do nothing to get better.
  EXACTLY! These are the kind of guys who will respond to his leadership the best and make us winners on the field again.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What makes Schiano different than other college coaches turn HC in the NFL? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools