Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why the Bucs won't really benefit from the Saints suspensions « previous next »
Page: 1 2

nubcake

Hall of Famer

#15 : May 02, 2012, 06:59:16 PM

Goodell has done a masterful job of making the punishment seem extremely harsh when in reality it isn't nearly as bad.

Payton and Loomis being suspended really hurts, but that's mostly the extent of it. Vilma wasn't that great anymore anyways, Smith the same, and the other 2 aren't even on the Saints. Remember, we were hearing it could be up to 30 players involved.

They also get a gift wrapped schedule for the first 6 games, allowing them to overcome many of their suspensions against teams with losing records. Don't think for a second that the NFL doesn't still favor the Saints and won't turn this into a "overcoming the odds and learning how to play the right way" feel good storyline if they get off to a good start. And odds are they will, as the offense is untouched and the team as a whole is motivated to prove us all wrong.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#16 : May 02, 2012, 07:55:57 PM

Goodell has done a masterful job of making the punishment seem extremely harsh when in reality it isn't nearly as bad.

Payton and Loomis being suspended really hurts, but that's mostly the extent of it. Vilma wasn't that great anymore anyways, Smith the same, and the other 2 aren't even on the Saints. Remember, we were hearing it could be up to 30 players involved.

They also get a gift wrapped schedule for the first 6 games, allowing them to overcome many of their suspensions against teams with losing records. Don't think for a second that the NFL doesn't still favor the Saints and won't turn this into a "overcoming the odds and learning how to play the right way" feel good storyline if they get off to a good start. And odds are they will, as the offense is untouched and the team as a whole is motivated to prove us all wrong.

Good thoughts, but I have to go the other way on this one.

The Saints will show up a couple of games, assuming they get Brees happy again. However, they're going to downside towards the end badly. Brees can coach them up on his own, but that's only the offensive side. Also, the loss of Nicks has to hurt them in some way, even if Brees's release is super quick. I seriously doubt they have anything resembling a running game this season (not that they did that much anyway).

The defense wasn't great to begin with and is going to be watched 24/7 for ANY infractions, on the field or off. By the media and the league too. I suspect they're going to have the roughest time out of all this mess. They may even make last season's Bucs defense look "average." The loss of Williams (even though we all hate him now) is a tough one for them, as it is with any coaching change. Remember Kiff leaving? It will probably be something of that nature.

I could of course be wrong, but this is what I see happening for them. The ESPN crew might try to make it look good at first (with the weak schedule in the first 6), but after that, they're going to be toast by real teams. More than likely, the Bucs are going to eat them alive in the second game, when they are more grounded and polished of a team by then.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why the Bucs won't really benefit from the Saints suspensions « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools