Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Report: "Talib may be immune to Goodell's wrath." « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#30 : May 04, 2012, 06:13:26 PM

A lot of straight up BS in this thread. Talib is not the one pushing to have this case move forward without a plea. A plea is the same thing as admitting guilt and with such shaky evidence and accounts from a career criminal as one of the only witness accounts against Talib, It would make any sense for Talib and his lawyer not to fight it.

Add in that if he pleas, the admission of guilt allow Goodell to bring down the hammer. If he founf innocent, it leaves Goodell in a very hard spot as he would be suspending a guy for something he was found innocent of. A crime that was reported to be him defending a family member even if Goodell feels he did it. Thats a huge can of worms and a PR nightmare for the NFL and Goodell.

Before spouting off all of this hypothetical garbage, at least try to have a basic understanding on how the judicial system woorks. It just makes you look foolish when you make comments that are just impossible or down right stupid when it comes to how the court systems work.

You mentioned the shaky evidence but there is actually evidence against Talib. The St. Petersburg Times reported that to His mother initially told police that he did have the guy and he may have fired a shot. He also apparently gave inconsistent and contradictory statements.  I'm not saying that's a lot of evidence but neither is it no evidence. But for the commissioner I have no doubt that he accepts a plea actually on this case because it would be a lesser offense  and/or no time. I'm sure neither side wants to really try this case

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#31 : May 04, 2012, 06:16:25 PM

If Talib's counsel actually believed that he would have already struck a plea

dumb.....just flat out stupid. You think hes going to admit guilt and still get away from Goodell? really? If hes found innocent, there is a very good chance Goodell does nothing. If he just admits guilt and settles, he definitely going to be suspended.

Funny that you call me dumb and stupid when I was making a point about what would happen if the commissioner could not suspend him. Lol

JayAuggs

Pro Bowler
#32 : May 04, 2012, 06:34:11 PM

Instead of all the rampant speculation, let's just take a step back from this and ask ourselves - Would the Bucs FO have more information than us on 1. The likelihood Talib gets convicted and 2. the likelihood of a suspension from Goodell?  I'm pretty sure they would.  AND they didn't take a corner until late in the draft.  AND there was talk of moving Ronde to safety (still is if you heard Dominik on The Commish's show the day after the draft). 

Dominik and Schiano, this is their livelihood.  We all see this from the outside, but they live this.  Don't we think they would've done a bit more preparation if they really thought they were going to lose Aqib for an extended period? 

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#33 : May 04, 2012, 06:45:14 PM

Instead of all the rampant speculation, let's just take a step back from this and ask ourselves - Would the Bucs FO have more information than us on 1. The likelihood Talib gets convicted and 2. the likelihood of a suspension from Goodell?  I'm pretty sure they would.  AND they didn't take a corner until late in the draft.  AND there was talk of moving Ronde to safety (still is if you heard Dominik on The Commish's show the day after the draft). 

Dominik and Schiano, this is their livelihood.  We all see this from the outside, but they live this.  Don't we think they would've done a bit more preparation if they really thought they were going to lose Aqib for an extended period?

I certainly agree they know way more and it's certainly reasonable to infer from their lack of action that think Talib is safe. Interesting question is whether the NFLPAs position has anything to do with it.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#34 : May 04, 2012, 06:48:47 PM

You would think Dominik would know better than to trust the teams sedcondary fate to the State of TExas.  He should have a contingency plan.  He clearly doesn't.

Eric Wright stinks.  Quincy black stinks.  Michael Clayton stinks.  Tanard Jackson stunk.  These guys were all given money, and most of them FAAAAR more than they deserved.  So yeah...you would think they would live and breathe this, but if they did, why make those diiotic decisions?

So spare me the rhetoric.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#35 : May 04, 2012, 06:51:01 PM

Lol. Boid you crack me up.

threadkiller

Pro Bowler

#36 : May 04, 2012, 07:03:32 PM

I don't understand why fans don't want this guy on the team he is one of the best players on the team and if you ask other players he played with they will all tell you that he is a great teammate...yes he has had problems with his attitude but when you get him around the right people he seems to be ok..just saying i dont get why people dont want this guy on the team when he clearly is our best CB

This.

Aqib is the biggest swing player on the team this year imo (other then Josh).  If he's availabe and bought in I can see the defense taking a significant step forward.   

I can understand the sentiment of not wanting to resign him after the season (don't agree with it if he beats the charges), but clearly we don't have a comforting backup plan in place for this season. 

JayAuggs

Pro Bowler
#37 : May 04, 2012, 08:05:54 PM

You would think Dominik would know better than to trust the teams sedcondary fate to the State of TExas.  He should have a contingency plan.  He clearly doesn't.

Eric Wright stinks.  Quincy black stinks.  Michael Clayton stinks.  Tanard Jackson stunk.  These guys were all given money, and most of them FAAAAR more than they deserved.  So yeah...you would think they would live and breathe this, but if they did, why make those diiotic decisions?

Your talent evaluation and knowledge of football operations is stunning.  As is your knowledge of the justice system and the evidence out there against Talib.  You obviously know more than the Bucs FO so my advice to you would be to collect all of your posts, emails, etc. into a portfolio;  Put that portfolio into a go bag;  and when Dominik gets fired bc of his decisions and lack of contingency planning, you can take that bag and go knock at One Buc to speak with Mr. Glazer brothers and show them how much you know about what professional GMs should do.  It would be unreal to see what you could do with actual, real, inside information as opposed to what you can find on Google, ESPN and NFL.com.

Really do apologize for my rhetoric.  Didn't realize I was in the presence of the greatest arm-chair GM ever.
: May 04, 2012, 08:07:25 PM JayAuggs

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#38 : May 04, 2012, 08:14:46 PM

I certainly agree they know way more and it's certainly reasonable to infer from their lack of action that think Talib is safe. Interesting question is whether the NFLPAs position has anything to do with it.

On that....the only absolute way the Bucs might know he is under no threat of suspension....absent a conviction which leads to jailtime....is if they know the commish won't or can't suspend him.

On the other hand...if Talib's camp knew he was under no threat of suspension...I'd guess a plea would long ago have been taken to some lesser offense.

It is interesting.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#39 : May 04, 2012, 09:17:12 PM

Your talent evaluation and knowledge of football operations is stunning.  As is your knowledge of the justice system and the evidence out there against Talib.  You obviously know more than the Bucs FO so my advice to you would be to collect all of your posts, emails, etc. into a portfolio;  Put that portfolio into a go bag;  and when Dominik gets fired bc of his decisions and lack of contingency planning, you can take that bag and go knock at One Buc to speak with Mr. Glazer brothers and show them how much you know about what professional GMs should do.  It would be unreal to see what you could do with actual, real, inside information as opposed to what you can find on Google, ESPN and NFL.com.

Really do apologize for my rhetoric.  Didn't realize I was in the presence of the greatest arm-chair GM ever[1]
You very well might be, considering the source.[1]

You mad?  Maybe not yet...but...

Look, point is this, you seem to think Dom has everything under control.  He "lives" this right?  That is a rather broad statement, because essentially you are telling me DOm can make no mistake...in a sense.  He of course is going to have more insider information, and will be obviously more informed.  Thanks for reminding me of that.  Now I can collect my GM portfolio and put it back (sigh).  Really though?  Are you sure Dom is more priivy to this information?  Are you quite sure? Are you certain?  (rolls eyes)

Of COURSE he does.  Now before you get all mad and bent out of shape, I merely replied that for a guy who "lives" this, he sure has made some awfully stupid moves before.  I pray he is right, if only because it means talib avoids the boot to the cool(head), and he suddenly has more trade value...the kid is a headache, and more than likely "this" close to being a murderer to boot (good thing he can't shoot like a member of Seal-6 team huh?)

I made my opinion, you came in with your 2 cents, and I fired back.  Sorry if...wait for it...

"You mad" :D

gone

Hall of Famer
#40 : May 04, 2012, 09:35:00 PM

A lot of straight up BS in this thread. Talib is not the one pushing to have this case move forward without a plea. A plea is the same thing as admitting guilt and with such shaky evidence and accounts from a career criminal as one of the only witness accounts against Talib, It would make any sense for Talib and his lawyer not to fight it.

Add in that if he pleas, the admission of guilt allow Goodell to bring down the hammer. If he founf innocent, it leaves Goodell in a very hard spot as he would be suspending a guy for something he was found innocent of. A crime that was reported to be him defending a family member even if Goodell feels he did it. Thats a huge can of worms and a PR nightmare for the NFL and Goodell.

Before spouting off all of this hypothetical garbage, at least try to have a basic understanding on how the judicial system woorks. It just makes you look foolish when you make comments that are just impossible or down right stupid when it comes to how the court systems work.

A plea is not necessarily an admission of guilt, it can be a no contest.  But that probably wouldn't matter for the commish.  I'm pretty certain there is a plea on the table I don't think i've ever heard of there not being one.  Whether its a good one or not is the question.  I think he's fighting this because of the money thing and he thinks he has a good case.  And as vin said, I think his lawyers probably agree.  We may still see a deal later on as well, these thing can be negotiated still.  He may be holding out for an better deal, or another pre-trial diversion.  But I think he will be found guilty of something  if It goes to trial, so i think there will likely be a deal done at some time.

gone

Hall of Famer
#41 : May 04, 2012, 09:41:41 PM

You never ever know.  If a case is going to trial there is something to it.  An expression I remember hearing from the DA's I worked around was how hard it was to get a conviction because you had to convince "twelve people who were too stupid to get out of jury duty" .  But it also applies for the defense.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#42 : May 04, 2012, 09:44:33 PM

Their is no contingency plan in case of a suspension or prison time.

Nobody is going to deny Talib is the best corner on the team, and can make pretty spectacular plays.  However, once he is gone, the secondary looks rather skinny, and Dom did nothing to really fix it, unless you think undrafted FAs and Eric Wright is "enough", and that was his plan all along?

I ain't buyin' that brand.

Dom may "live" this, he really does.  But doesn't mean he is smart about it either.

The secondary is a hot mess.  Anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves.  I've watched enough of what is on the roster to know better.

Lewis is garbage.  Straight garbage that even flies don't want to mes with.  Biggers is sorry.  Some may argue, but I just fail to see it.  He gets lit up like a Christmas tree.  And is too small to cover bigger athletes, and is a mediocre tackler because of it.  Gaitor is a complete unknown, but again, late round pick, and not too many of them are difference makers in the NFL (by comparison).  Ronde is old.  Love the guy, but he is almost exclusively a nickel/zone/blitz corner.  Wright is toast, and has played like it for years.

Talib is in some form of trouble, I HIGHLY doubt he dodges the bullet as swiftly as Shannon Billings has (stale, I know).

gone

Hall of Famer
#43 : May 04, 2012, 09:52:45 PM

I think you are somewhat exaggerating the state of the secondary.  It pretty uninspiring, but its not a disaster movie.

And Talib may have been the best corner, but he still sucks.  He will never hit his ceiling beep cause he's a punk plain and simple.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#44 : May 04, 2012, 10:05:07 PM

I didn't read the entire thread...

What people are missing... 

Talib's incident occurred when there was no CBA in effect

If he gets no criminal punishment - he'll get nothing from Goodell.

My thoughts.

Go get Bridgewater.   Do what it takes.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Report: "Talib may be immune to Goodell's wrath." « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools