Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Franchise - Is Josh Freeman the guy for Tampa Bay? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#30 : May 06, 2012, 01:23:14 PM

I believe in Freeman, but I don't expect a huge year from him. I don't expect an awful year like last year, but something more pedestrian where there's a lot of 150 yard, 1 TD kind of games.

Really? Tampa has a "chargers-like" team, maybe better.

Rivers has posted very good numbers there despite the fact that LT, Sproles, and Turner were at one time as his RB's. Heck, we have the guy who he pretty much fed the ball to over the years. If anything, I say expect (good) Rivers-like numbers from Freeman.

It's not that hard to believe. He did almost as good, with less to work with a season ago.

Rivers best season:        4,710 yards 30 tds 13 ints
Freemans best season:  3,451 yards 25 tds  6 ints

Incidentally, both of their best seasons were in 2010.

The only difference was that Rivers had Matthews and Sproles, a legit #1 WR, a good OL, and a top-five TE.

Meanwhile Freeman had a diva TE, dysfunctional OL, injury prone Caddy, a older Graham, and some rookie WR's.

No matter what though, it's a team game first and foremost. Neither one of them went on to playoffs anyway.

Freeman is still raw as a QB though. It's not like he can go out there and make a great read every throw. It's not like he has great accuracy, or a great deep ball or anything that would lead to big stats.

Freeman's greatest asset in the past is that he can extend plays and find an open man, or convert a crucial 3rd down with his big body.

I really think it will be another 2-3 years before Freeman hits his prime and actually starts looking like a good all around QB.

If that's the case, he'll be doing that on some other team not named the Bucs.

They spent too much $ on FA's and coaches not to accomplish something good on offense in the near future. This offseason was a huge "push" for JF. If he cannot do it, they have the hypothetical "surrounding cast" that nearly any QB should do well with. I say 2 seasons is all he has here if he plays mediocre (and Dom too, because that's the tie that binds). Maybe less time than we think too, because his contract is coming up fairly soon as well.

Statistically speaking, Josh is one of the best QB's the Bucs have had though. I think he will disprove a lot of people, just like he did his first full season as starter.

Not if we're winning games.

It's not like I expect Freeman to be Trent Dilfer on the 2000 Ravens kind of game manager, more like Brad Johnson in 2002.

Bucko40

Hall of Famer

#31 : May 06, 2012, 01:43:39 PM

We better hope that Freeman returns to 2010 form or better. I think he will. If he doesn't then that strong draft class of CB might be out the window. Bucs hopefully won't be in draft position to select either Matt Barkley, Tyler Wilson or Landry Jones. 

threadkiller

Pro Bowler

#32 : May 06, 2012, 02:39:07 PM

I'm NOT buying a new Nike 'Freeman' jersey yet.

He still could be a RaheemBust. Looked like dog **CENSORED** a lot of last season.

Dovetailing in to the first year in a new system pre-excuse.  If Josh plays like he did last season, new system or not, you have to look seriously at pulling the plug.  He is not losing anyone of significance from the offense and adding 3 key pieces.  Not a freight train offense on paper, but solid players at most spots around him.  Alex Smith made the transition last season into a new system without the benefit of the off-season minis. 

This has to be a season that Josh steps back much closer to 2010 performance levels.  I think he will. 

Hate

Hall of Famer
#33 : May 06, 2012, 05:35:35 PM

I don't expect an awful year like last year, but something more pedestrian where there's a lot of 150 yard, 1 TD kind of games.

We didn't bring VJax here for our qb to post "a lot of 150 yard, 1 td kind of games."

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

McCoy93

Starter

#34 : May 06, 2012, 05:37:53 PM

i think it was on nfl live. but 400 yards passing is the new 300

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#35 : May 06, 2012, 05:38:55 PM

I believe Freeman is....it's all about #5. They coaches are setting him up for success with lots of weapons. Now if the defense holds up, he could be stellar.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#36 : May 06, 2012, 05:46:41 PM

We better hope that Freeman returns to 2010 form or better. I think he will. If he doesn't then that strong draft class of CB might be out the window. Bucs hopefully won't be in draft position to select either Matt Barkley, Tyler Wilson or Landry Jones.

It's easier to trade up to #1 these days.  If your not there already. It might take your whole draft to do it, but its possible.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#37 : May 06, 2012, 06:14:34 PM

I believe Freeman is....it's all about #5. They coaches are setting him up for success with lots of weapons. Now if the defense holds up, he could be stellar.

Just curious.   What does the defense have to do with Freeman being successful on offense?

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#38 : May 06, 2012, 06:48:14 PM

Just curious.   What does the defense have to do with Freeman being successful on offense?

Stick to Bucs trivia if you don't know the answer to that question.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#39 : May 06, 2012, 06:51:23 PM

A good defense would result in more offensive scoring due to field position, but Freeman can still light it up on offense statistically even with a bad defense.    There are no excuses this year.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#40 : May 06, 2012, 06:54:45 PM

Wow Java. This attempt to troll really made you look stupid. If you haven't figured out how defense effects offense after so many years of trolling watching football, then you might want to just give up.

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#41 : May 06, 2012, 06:58:36 PM

I saw guys like Fouts, Marino, and Elway play with horrible defenses and light it up.    They would lose in offensive shootouts.   I'm not saying a great defense wouldn't result in more wins or even more scoring.   But a great QB can still light it up without the crutch of a great defense.

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

#42 : May 06, 2012, 07:01:49 PM

Java doesn't  like the sun.

This space for rent....*sigh* I trusted you coach.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#43 : May 06, 2012, 07:10:25 PM

I don't expect an awful year like last year, but something more pedestrian where there's a lot of 150 yard, 1 TD kind of games.

We didn't bring VJax here for our qb to post "a lot of 150 yard, 1 td kind of games."

If Freeman has good stats, it's either because we're down and have to throw a lot.

Or YAC goes up by a ton.

I'm sorry to break the news to fans, but Freeman isn't ready to be a Matt Stafford kind of QB just because he has a #1 receiver.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#44 : May 06, 2012, 07:16:28 PM

If Freeman has good stats, it's either because we're down and have to throw a lot.

Or YAC goes up by a ton.

I'm sorry to break the news to fans, but Freeman isn't ready to be a Matt Stafford kind of QB just because he has a #1 receiver.

Glad to hear , considering Stafford is an injury prone stiff riding megatron's coat-tails.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Franchise - Is Josh Freeman the guy for Tampa Bay? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools