Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Will any of the Bucs Rookies make an impact? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: May 09, 2012, 12:45:37 AM

Tampa Bay Buccaneers Impact Rookies: Mark Barron, Doug Martin and Lavonte David

by Sander on May 8, 2012 3:17 PM EDT in NFL Draft

Al Messerschmidt - Getty Images
Doug Martin #22 of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers talks to the media after a rookie practice at the Buccaneers practice facility May 4, 2012 in Tampa, Florida.

We're nearly two weeks removed from the 2012 NFL Draft, but articles are still being written about the event. The next few months are going to be pretty quiet, after all. One of the ways in which sites examine draft classes is in the form of 'impact players'. Which rookies will provide the biggest impact early on in their careers? The Tampa Bay Buccaneers feature prominently on this list, as Mark Barron, Doug Martin and Lavonte David are all mentioned. Let's go through a few of them.

Sports Illustrated Potential Immediate Impact Rookies: Mark Barron

"The Bucs were hoping to get Claiborne, but they won't be disappointed with the draft's top safety. Barron will help clean up many things on the back end of their run defense. His inside coverage ability will lead to preventing big plays and making a few. Tampa Bay finished last in scoring defense and 30th in total defense last year. Barron will be a huge boon to improve those numbers."

I find it interesting that Barron is consistently mentioned as a candidate to clean up things on the 'back end' of the Bucs' run defense. To me,he seems more likely to make an impact as the eighth man in the box, filling one of the gaps in run defense. That role will be especially valuable in nickel defense. It's not the back end that will improve with his presence, as replacing Tanard Jackson with Cody Grimm should do that. It's the front end of run defense that will improve with Barron's presence.

ESPN: John Clayton's Top 10 Impact Rookies

No. 3: S Mark Barron

The middle of the field wasn't safe for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers last season. Barron adds two things -- he can match up against tight ends in pass coverage and he's a play-making safety who can offer leadership to a young defense.

Hey, they didn't mention Barron's run defense. And that's a good thing to remember: Barron isn't just a run defender, he'll be a terrific asset for the Bucs in coverage as well.

No. 9: RB Doug Martin

Martin is a tough, all-effort runner who should thrive in the Buccaneers' running system under Greg Schiano. Trent Richardson probably will gain more yards, but Martin's yardage may translate into more victories.

Martin will most likely be the foundation of this offense, no matter how much I hate a run-first offense. He'll have a big impact and big numbers, barring injury.

Mel Kiper - Early impact from Round 2 and 3: LB Lavonte David

No surprise I'd have David on this list. If a team had taken him as high as, say, Detroit at No. 23 overall, I still would have liked the pick. He'll be great as a weakside linebacker for the Bucs.

Lavonte David will be an instant three-down starter at linebacker. While he's a physical, fast, downhill linebacker in the run game, I'm most excited to see his impact in coverage.

http://www.bucsnation.com/2012/5/8/3007528/tampa-bay-buccaneers-impact-rookies-mark-barron-doug-martin-and

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#1 : May 09, 2012, 01:02:21 AM

Barron will be the captain of this team in a few years.

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
#2 : May 09, 2012, 03:30:09 AM

Why do the media and draft prognosticators assume that the Bucs really wanted to get Claiborne?  If they had wanted him, they would have taken him. 

I think all three of our top choices will make a substantial impact this season.  What I love is that they all can help in multiple phases of the game. 

XFactor

Hall of Famer

#3 : May 09, 2012, 07:10:13 AM

This with the additions in FA and a healthy McCoy and Price is why there will be a quick turn around. I'd like to see the whole lists if anyone's got them.
: May 09, 2012, 08:54:09 AM XFactor

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#4 : May 09, 2012, 08:40:03 AM

WOW!!  Don't know what to make of this.  I mean, so many people here have been saying that Clayton and Kiper were morons.  I guess Dominik blew another draft.  ::)

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#5 : May 09, 2012, 09:13:13 AM

A part of me wants the biggest rookie impact to come from Najee Goode.

Not that its not important for Martin and Barron to play well...but if Goode can come in, steal the job, and play very well....that means that we see very very little of Quincy Black..and we will finally have some solid play from a SLB.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#6 : May 09, 2012, 02:08:53 PM

Since the Bucs took both David AND Goode before they took a CB, I'd say Schiano and staff were less impressed with last year's LB group than our CB's. There were CB's available, and we took LB's instead...

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#7 : May 09, 2012, 02:23:59 PM

I think our 2 first rounders make a world of difference for us going forward. Barron will help prevent much of the big plays that we saw last year and Martin will really open things up and make life much easier on Freeman. Adding David also provides that tackling at the LB position that we didnt have last year. Tackling usually helps. Im not sure how many more wins we get cause of these guys but I feel we will be a competitive team and actually fun to watch again.
: May 09, 2012, 02:26:22 PM BucBalla85

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#8 : May 09, 2012, 07:59:20 PM

Since the Bucs took both David AND Goode before they took a CB, I'd say Schiano and staff were less impressed with last year's LB group than our CB's. There were CB's available, and we took LB's instead...

I think that will be next years rebuild.  With Ronde retiring after the season, and Talib maybe moving on to greener pastures, the Bucs #1 pick will be a CB IMO.   They could go after the best CB in free agency also.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Jonbuc

Second String

#9 : May 09, 2012, 08:12:45 PM

The Cryptkeeper Clayton was down on the Bucs picking Barron yet he puts him at # 3? interesting....

Jonbuc

Second String

#10 : May 09, 2012, 08:23:28 PM

In fact... He called the Bucs "losers" in Day 1/First Round of the draft. Yet puts both picks in the top ten? Huh?

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#11 : May 09, 2012, 08:46:25 PM

In fact... He called the Bucs "losers" in Day 1/First Round of the draft. Yet puts both picks in the top ten? Huh?

He should be asked about this by our own media....too bad there's not one with the spine to ask a hard question of anyone in our local media.  They are all wimps of the highest degree.

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#12 : May 09, 2012, 09:17:59 PM

Didn't Clayton say Barron was a bad pick and rate our day 1 as one of the worst? Yet we have 2 impact rookies in his Top 10.

mrchillwill

Pro Bowler

#13 : May 09, 2012, 09:39:47 PM

clayton looks like the guy from south park

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#14 : May 10, 2012, 12:04:42 AM

Mmmkay.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Will any of the Bucs Rookies make an impact? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools