Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "Josh Freeman Slimmed Down To Get Better" « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

bizkitlimped

Hall of Famer
: May 09, 2012, 06:10:24 PM

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d828f9e78/article/josh-freeman-slimmed-down-to-get-better-bucs-dominik-says?module=HP11_headline_stack

Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Josh Freeman has lost roughly 20 pounds in an effort to become more mobile and bounce back from a down season in 2011, according to general manager Mark Dominik.
"You've seen a guy who's completely committed to getting his season back on track and hitting the reset button and getting his game back to hopefully to more of what we saw in 2010 as a young 22-year-old," Dominik said Wednesday on NFL.com's "Cover Two" podcast. "The last couple years, he's been playing around 255-260 (pounds). Right now, he's sitting downstairs (at the team facility) weighing about 235-238.
"He's getting his body right, working on getting more mobility and better conditioned and buying in, heart and soul, to how and what (the newly hired) Mike Sullivan is and wants to be as offensive coordinator."
Dominik said that Freeman's weight loss was completely voluntary, and no coach or trainer recommended he shed weight. Dominik added that Freeman has slimmed down mainly by changing his diet.
Freeman's listed weight on NFL.com is 248 pounds. Freeman struggled during the 2011 season,  throwing 22 interceptions compared to just 16 touchdown passes a year after he had for 25 TDs to six interceptions.

Follow Steve Wyche on Twitter @wyche89.

Check out NFL.com's "Cover Two" podcast, hosted by Jason Smith and Steve Wyche, for more insight into the goings-on in the NFL.

AlstottUpTheGut

Starter

#1 : May 09, 2012, 06:14:14 PM

This worry anyone? I'm all for getting in shape but I don't know how I Feel about losing that much weight. Did that extra weight help him take those hits better?

1. Donald
2. Bridgewater
3. Landry
5. Abbrederis
6. Lyerla

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#2 : May 09, 2012, 06:19:44 PM

I think it's great. I bet I don't see him in Datz so often this year.

RobbieRob

Rookie
#3 : May 09, 2012, 06:24:16 PM

How can this be bad?

mrchillwill

Pro Bowler

#4 : May 09, 2012, 06:27:47 PM

Java should be happy.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#5 : May 09, 2012, 06:30:42 PM

Same size as Newton now....hopefully he gets back to making some big plays with his mobility like he did in 2010.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#6 : May 09, 2012, 06:31:59 PM

Java should be happy.
Ditto

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#7 : May 09, 2012, 06:32:26 PM

Just have to wait and see how it works out. They always wanted Sapp to slim down but he didn't play as well when he did it.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

Ft Myers Buc Fan

Hall of Famer
#8 : May 09, 2012, 06:39:42 PM

Freeman is at his best when he is moving around in the pocket and buying time to make plays in the passing game or scrambling for chunks of yards. He needed to lose the weight.

NYC Bucs Fan

Starter

#9 : May 09, 2012, 06:42:27 PM

Freeman is at his best when he is moving around in the pocket and buying time to make plays in the passing game or scrambling for chunks of yards. He needed to lose the weight.

+1

Bschucher

Hall of Famer
#10 : May 09, 2012, 06:54:42 PM

Just have to wait and see how it works out. They always wanted Sapp to slim down but he didn't play as well when he did it.

Don't think that is a fair analogy. Sapp slimming down to play lighter as a DT is much different than Freeman slimming down at QB, especially considering he looked a bit overweight last year. Besides, can he play much worse than last year?

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#11 : May 09, 2012, 07:04:04 PM

Don't think that is a fair analogy. Sapp slimming down to play lighter as a DT is much different than Freeman slimming down at QB, especially considering he looked a bit overweight last year. Besides, can he play much worse than last year?

Shhhh....if you point out flaws in his thinking he will spend the next two hours trying to make you look dumb.

Supreme

Starter

#12 : May 09, 2012, 07:04:32 PM

Hope slimming down and getting in better shape helps.

He's got all the weapons and protection he needs to be a successful QB. No more damn excuses.

JayAuggs

Pro Bowler
#13 : May 09, 2012, 07:16:24 PM

If anything this shows Josh has been focused this offseason which is nothing but a good thing.

The other end of the spectrum would be he gained 20 pounds and was pushing JaBombsquad Russel proportions.  That would also imply that he was sitting on his a$$ not thinking football, etc.

If he's working out his body that hard I have no doubt he's also working out his mind that hard with film prep, etc.  This is awesome news for Bucs fans

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#14 : May 09, 2012, 07:25:16 PM

I would think this will be beneficial to some extent - last year Josh looked sluggish.  And I recall Sapp not playing well when he lost weight.  While they play different positions it's not like Illuminator said he wouldn't play well.  It was an observation - nothing more ;)

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "Josh Freeman Slimmed Down To Get Better" « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools