Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Obama backs gay marriage while North Carolina votes to ban it « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 13

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

: May 09, 2012, 09:33:53 PM

The Obama campaign raised $1 million in less than 90 minutes after he announced he officially favors same-sex marriages.

http://news.yahoo.com/obama-gay-marriage-support-seen-world-precedent-233515249.html

http://www.buzzfeed.com/zekejmiller/gay-marriage-reversal-means-cash-for-obama

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

#1 : May 09, 2012, 10:05:48 PM

I never thought he was against it. Just hesistant and wanted to test the waters before jumping in.
I do think the party lines are officially drawn for this election even though the conservatives will still pitch a tantrum when Obama wins. Again.

philosophy is questions that may never be answered
religion is answers that may never be questioned

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#2 : May 09, 2012, 10:22:22 PM

So you thought he was not telling the truth before today, or that he changed his mind after talking to his wife and kids... oh yea, and there was somebody else - what was that - disabled or injuried gay service folks... which is it.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

spartan

Hall of Famer
#3 : May 09, 2012, 10:28:35 PM

Quiz: Who said this in 1996 :

: "I favor legalizing same-sex marriages, and would fight efforts to prohibit such marriages."

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

#4 : May 09, 2012, 11:29:45 PM

So you thought he was not telling the truth before today, or that he changed his mind after talking to his wife and kids... oh yea, and there was somebody else - what was that - disabled or injuried gay service folks... which is it.
I think he was holding back till ths right time. Like now.

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

#5 : May 09, 2012, 11:34:38 PM

: "I favor legalizing same-sex marriages, and would fight efforts to prohibit such marriages."
GWB?

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#6 : May 09, 2012, 11:47:38 PM

"Obama remains sympathetic to the rights of individuals who identify as gay or lesbian.[52] In a 1996 newspaper interview, Obama stated "I favor legalizing same-sex marriages, and would fight efforts to prohibit such marriages."[49] However, during the 2008 presidential campaign, Obama stated, "I believe that marriage is the union between a man and a woman."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same-sex_marriage_in_the_United_States

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

#7 : May 09, 2012, 11:55:03 PM

"Obama remains sympathetic to the rights of individuals who identify as gay or lesbian.[52] In a 1996 newspaper interview, Obama stated "I favor legalizing same-sex marriages, and would fight efforts to prohibit such marriages."[49] However, during the 2008 presidential campaign, Obama stated, "I believe that marriage is the union between a man and a woman."

I don't see that as being contradictory. In one statement he says what he believes. In another, he says he supports the rights of others to basically believe what they want to believe and would fight any efforts to prohibit that.

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#8 : May 10, 2012, 12:05:27 AM

Not surprisingly, his views on that are ambiguous.

rblrdr

Rookie

#9 : May 10, 2012, 12:18:59 AM

Bravo Mr President! 

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#10 : May 10, 2012, 12:28:26 AM

When I first saw the title of this thread, I thought it read "Obama barebacks gay"

spartan

Hall of Famer
#11 : May 10, 2012, 08:52:42 AM

I don't see that as being contradictory. In one statement he says what he believes. In another, he says he supports the rights of others to basically believe what they want to believe and would fight any efforts to prohibit that.

Interesting, because Santorum, Bachman et al were absolutely pummelled for saying essentially the same thing on other social issues.

Also, the President says his opinion has evolved to the point where he now supports Gay marriage. Evolved from what to what? Looks exactly like the position he is supporting now was the one he had in 1996. Not sure how that could be considered an evolution except it was an inconvenient position to hold when he first ran for President. After all he has gone from supporting gay marriage, to supporting civil unions, to marriage between a man and a woman and then back to supporting gay marriage. I find it hard to support your argument. Last but not least, if what you say is the case would he not have said 'Personally I think marriage is between a man and a woman but ..?"

BucfanNC12

Hall of Famer

#12 : May 10, 2012, 10:01:58 AM

In NC a lot of people feel like they were fooled. Gay marriage was already illegal prior to them proposing an amendment. What they didn't tell people in radio and TV commercials is people in common law marriage (straight couples) will be losing rights such as: (from ACLU in NC prior to the vote)

- Unmarried parents could no longer have the same child custody and visitation rights as married parents.
- Private agreements between unmarried couples might not longer have a legal basis. This means, for example, that if a couple who has cohabited and raised children together for years decides to separate, the wealthier partner would not be legally obligated to divide property with his or her partner.
- The law could interfere with unmarried partners' end-of-life arrangements, such as wills, trusts, and medical powers of attorney.
- Employers would no longer have to provide benefits, such as health insurance, to the partners of unmarried employees.

BucfanNC12

Hall of Famer

#13 : May 10, 2012, 10:09:55 AM

Interesting, because Santorum, Bachman et al were absolutely pummelled for saying essentially the same thing on other social issues.

Also, the President says his opinion has evolved to the point where he now supports Gay marriage. Evolved from what to what? Looks exactly like the position he is supporting now was the one he had in 1996. Not sure how that could be considered an evolution except it was an inconvenient position to hold when he first ran for President. After all he has gone from supporting gay marriage, to supporting civil unions, to marriage between a man and a woman and then back to supporting gay marriage. I find it hard to support your argument. Last but not least, if what you say is the case would he not have said 'Personally I think marriage is between a man and a woman but ..?"

Obama like any President will say what is popular among the people at the time. However, a person can believe marriage is between a man and a woman and still support gay marriage. He (I guess) are like some who have a belief but won't oppose it on others. On a side note it tickles me when a politican changes position and people act like it is something new.

Col. Klink

Pro Bowler

#14 : May 10, 2012, 10:23:15 AM

In NC a lot of people feel like they were fooled. Gay marriage was already illegal prior to them proposing an amendment. What they didn't tell people in radio and TV commercials is people in common law marriage (straight couples) will be losing rights such as: (from ACLU in NC prior to the vote)

- Unmarried parents could no longer have the same child custody and visitation rights as married parents.
- Private agreements between unmarried couples might not longer have a legal basis. This means, for example, that if a couple who has cohabited and raised children together for years decides to separate, the wealthier partner would not be legally obligated to divide property with his or her partner.
- The law could interfere with unmarried partners' end-of-life arrangements, such as wills, trusts, and medical powers of attorney.
- Employers would no longer have to provide benefits, such as health insurance, to the partners of unmarried employees.

Not sure why they felt fooled. Living in sin is living in sin, straight or homo ...
Page: 1 2 3 ... 13
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Obama backs gay marriage while North Carolina votes to ban it « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools