Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Obama backs gay marriage while North Carolina votes to ban it « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 13

BucfanNC12

Pro Bowler

#15 : May 10, 2012, 10:37:12 AM

In NC a lot of people feel like they were fooled. Gay marriage was already illegal prior to them proposing an amendment. What they didn't tell people in radio and TV commercials is people in common law marriage (straight couples) will be losing rights such as: (from ACLU in NC prior to the vote)

- Unmarried parents could no longer have the same child custody and visitation rights as married parents.
- Private agreements between unmarried couples might not longer have a legal basis. This means, for example, that if a couple who has cohabited and raised children together for years decides to separate, the wealthier partner would not be legally obligated to divide property with his or her partner.
- The law could interfere with unmarried partners' end-of-life arrangements, such as wills, trusts, and medical powers of attorney.
- Employers would no longer have to provide benefits, such as health insurance, to the partners of unmarried employees.

Not sure why they felt fooled. Living in sin is living in sin, straight or homo ...

I can't tell if you are playing or don't get it.
: May 10, 2012, 10:53:03 AM BucfanNC12

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#16 : May 10, 2012, 11:05:41 AM

The way he announced reminded me of "the decision" with Lebron James. A ton of build up and after the payoff I was thinking...okay...why didn't you just say that a long time ago? Probably a vote grab in the long run, also not a real risky move to make considering states are already leaning in that general direction.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

Col. Klink

Pro Bowler

#17 : May 10, 2012, 11:13:24 AM

In NC a lot of people feel like they were fooled. Gay marriage was already illegal prior to them proposing an amendment. What they didn't tell people in radio and TV commercials is people in common law marriage (straight couples) will be losing rights such as: (from ACLU in NC prior to the vote)

- Unmarried parents could no longer have the same child custody and visitation rights as married parents.
- Private agreements between unmarried couples might not longer have a legal basis. This means, for example, that if a couple who has cohabited and raised children together for years decides to separate, the wealthier partner would not be legally obligated to divide property with his or her partner.
- The law could interfere with unmarried partners' end-of-life arrangements, such as wills, trusts, and medical powers of attorney.
- Employers would no longer have to provide benefits, such as health insurance, to the partners of unmarried employees.

Not sure why they felt fooled. Living in sin is living in sin, straight or homo ...

I think I get it. You're saying some people in NC voted for it because they thought it just targeted homosexuals, right?

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

#18 : May 10, 2012, 11:22:32 AM

I think I get it. You're saying some people in NC voted for it because they thought it just targeted homosexuals, right?

It means people don't read and/or understand what they are voting on.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#19 : May 10, 2012, 11:47:09 AM

Quite the coincidence that President changed his mind on this issue so close to the election.

spartan

Hall of Famer
#20 : May 10, 2012, 11:50:22 AM

Quite the coincidence that President changed his mind on this issue so close to the election.

Ya think?

That and apparently a boat load of rich gay donors said poop or get off the pot. In the event you get off the pot, we aren't going to donate to your campaign.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#21 : May 10, 2012, 12:38:12 PM

Could be a fun democratic convention.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#22 : May 10, 2012, 02:47:35 PM

Could be a fun democratic convention.

Actually, the fun convention will be the Rs. Ron Paul people may cause some havoc.

Obama spoke out now on same sex marriage for political reasons. So what? He's like 99% of all politicians. And people still
want to continue voting for mainstream Rs and Ds? You get what you vote for.

A slight majority of Americans support same sex marriage. And the young (18-34) people are overwhelmingly in favor of it. Although that doesn't always translate into the voting booth, as shown in NC. Vote didn't match polls.

Rs and conservatives are getting left behind with their antiquated, religious based, opposition to same sex marriage. Indies
support it but I'm not sure how much it will affect their vote when November rolls around.

Col. Klink

Pro Bowler

#23 : May 10, 2012, 02:50:08 PM

Ya think?

That and apparently a boat load of rich gay donors said poop or get off the pot. In the event you get off the pot, we aren't going to donate to your campaign.

Y'all think this is going to help his re-election??

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#24 : May 10, 2012, 02:57:44 PM

I don't think it will hurt much. Most of the people who are against same sex marriage weren't going to vote for him any way.

Here's what the Ron Paul folks can do to cause a little havoc in Tampa at the R convention.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/05/ron-pauls-not-so-secret-plot-for-the-gop-convention

pewtergirl2010

Second String
#25 : May 10, 2012, 03:42:30 PM

[/quote  I don't feel the least bit sorry for any of them. They were willing to crap on the gay and lesbians in their state. They get what they deserve. I think it's funny.  :P

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#26 : May 10, 2012, 03:51:32 PM

Ya think?

Y'all think this is going to help his re-election??

Did you not read the OP?  It's certainly not going to hurt, except with some of the black community.  But I don't think he's worried about losing that vote, and he probably shouldn't be.

Most of the people who are against same sex marriage weren't going to vote for him any way.

Except the black community, who has voted against gay marriage at almost every opportunity.  Whether in California or North Carolina, the black vote has been against gay marriage.

spartan

Hall of Famer
#27 : May 10, 2012, 04:01:31 PM

I don't think it will hurt much. Most of the people who are against same sex marriage weren't going to vote for him any way.

Here's what the Ron Paul folks can do to cause a little havoc in Tampa at the R convention.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/05/ron-pauls-not-so-secret-plot-for-the-gop-convention

In and of itself it may not, but the whole might hurt him eventually.

I think Romney is going to pummel him on the economy. That will probably grab a lot of independents.  BO is currently running on on Gay marriage and free birth control. This may fire up the uber liberals, but it will also fire up the ultra conservatives, and piss off a large number of liberal Catholics and evangelicals in the process. Just because many of these people weren't going to vote for him anyway, doesn't mean they were exactly falling over themselves to vote for Romney either.  I can see what he is trying to do but not so sure it will work, and could possibly backfire.

Just look at Wisconsin. Not suggesting Walker is safe, but in the process of whipping up the base for his recall they whipped up the opposition as well. Almost a million people turned up and voted in a totally irrelevant Republican primary, by all accounts just to make a point. Well, they did and raised a lot of eyebrows doing so.

Col. Klink

Pro Bowler

#28 : May 10, 2012, 04:05:56 PM

Yeah, I saw the donation thing but he appears to be rolling in dough already .... and I agree with Joe that most against same sex marriage weren't voting for him anyway but I'd think you still have a ton of Evangelicals/Super Serious Christians conflicted between voting for a Mormon and the Devil's Spawn, Obama. This could be a tipping point. I'm sure the Romney camp will do the smart thing and play it up to the hilt.

BucfanNC12

Pro Bowler

#29 : May 10, 2012, 04:07:47 PM

It means people don't read and/or understand what they are voting on.

Thanks.
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 13
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Obama backs gay marriage while North Carolina votes to ban it « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools