Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: DE BOWERS IS LIKELY OUT FOR THE YEAR WITH TORN ACHILLES « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 12 13 14

TampaBucks05

Hall of Famer
« #195 : May 12, 2012, 11:17:26 PM »

Shoot, the Bucs hadn’t even had an OTA post NFL draft and already the team took a nasty loss when second-year defensive tackle Da’Quan Bowers tore an Achilles tendon working out at One Buc Palace and is likely lost for the season.

The subject of Bowers came up with “The Godfather,” Gil Brant, Friday night on SiriusXM NFL Radio. Brandt, the architect of the Cowboys for three decades, drafting players from Bob Lilly to Michael Irvin, thought Bowers is a talented player but hinted he may never realize his ability. Brant stopped just short of calling Bowers “injury prone.”

“Bowers has had the worst luck,” Brandt said. “When he was a junior he had about as good of a year at Clemson that a player could have and then he suffered a knee injury in a bowl game and he tried to come back too soon. He wasn’t quite the same. Now he has a torn Achilles.

“Some players just seem to be injury prone and there is really no rhyme or reason for it.”

This really depressed Joe to hear because there simply are too many key Bucs defensive players that always seem to be losing playing time with injuries. Joe can count four projected starters that are always hobbled or out for the season.

For the Bucs to do anything on defense, these players must remain healthy so they can stay on the field.

http://www.joebucsfan.com/?p=66682

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #196 : May 12, 2012, 11:52:48 PM »

I don't think he is "injury prone."

Honestly, I don't think he ever healed properly, and with the play of Bennett and his drop in the draft, he probably felt he had more to prove sooner than later. As it was mentioned before in another Bowers injury thread, he probably was compensating for the already injured leg and caused the other to give out or moved wrong on it because of the abnormal compensation.

Regardless, he was picked in the 2nd, so yeah it's crappy he keeps getting hurt, but I believe we lose nothing but depth by it and he can easily be replaced if Dom needs-be. It obviously was another Dom bust, but this one I don't blame him much. I would have taken the chance too (in fact, I was hoping he would when Tampa's second ticked). If you get a chance on a top ten player in the draft in the second, even with a little problem, you do it.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #197 : May 13, 2012, 12:35:58 AM »

Using reeling's 99th definition is just plain awkward. Couldn't they say Bucs are hurting?

You know, I think you just came up with the right word for it.

It's not going to hurt the Bucs to lose the guy, but it will be awkward working around it.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

« #198 : May 13, 2012, 01:03:14 AM »

He needs to take a couple of years off to get healthy - then come back and try again.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #199 : May 13, 2012, 02:40:42 AM »

He needs to take a couple of years off to get healthy - then come back and try again.

It might actually take that to get him right again. Then again, it depends on the type of damage that occurred.

However, by then he may not be able to pull an "Antonio Bryant."

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

« #200 : May 13, 2012, 01:40:14 PM »

If he had a knee related injury, then yes, and it would be time for him to retire. I'm sure he can come back in a year and play decently though.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #201 : May 13, 2012, 01:44:59 PM »

Wasn't that the concern that dropped him to the 2nd? We took a chance when we had a huge need at DE. He played all last year healthy didn't he? someone correct me if he was injured last year. This year yes it's a problem. Only way he shakes off the "injury prone" label is if he plays for a few seasons healthy.

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

« #202 : May 13, 2012, 02:35:23 PM »

its a real shame.  i was counting on him making a big leap this year.  sadly our young DL will never improve if they are always rehabbing.

chad1336

Starter

« #203 : May 13, 2012, 03:56:49 PM »

Wasn't that the concern that dropped him to the 2nd? We took a chance when we had a huge need at DE. He played all last year healthy didn't he? someone correct me if he was injured last year. This year yes it's a problem. Only way he shakes off the "injury prone" label is if he plays for a few seasons healthy.
Even if he plays a few seasons healthy, but gets injured again a few years from now, people will still be calling him injury prone.  It could be a freak of nature thing and still, he would be called injury prone by many "experts".

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #204 : May 13, 2012, 06:38:51 PM »

We all wanted and hoped Bowers would really blow up this year and be amazing, but the truth is Michael Bennett is our starting LE. He was last year, and we didn't give him a $3M tender to play back up so he was most likely going to be our starter again this year. Bowers was very good depth and it sucks that he's out, but it's not the end of the would. We need to just resign Crowder so be have someone familiar to fill that role as depth, and then keep watching the waiver wire to see if anyone gets cut that could be an upgrade. It sucks, but we didn't even lose a starter. Imagine if we had lost Jason Peters or Terrell Suggs...we alright.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

« #205 : May 13, 2012, 07:27:20 PM »

Exactly; Bowers so far has been mostly hype based on his potential. Bennett, OTOH, signed with Seattle and eventually cut, has beat out Bowers at LDE and been steadily improving with us.
     George Johnson was tearing it up in pre-season last year until he got injured. If he's healthy, we're OK.
Another 'hot' prospect was EJ Wilson, who is also still with us.
Not at all sure if these guys are fully recovered.

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #206 : May 13, 2012, 08:08:35 PM »

Hate - That. Was. Hilarious.

I thought it summed up quite nicely what i felt when SBF texted me that he been injured.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

BucfanNC12

Hall of Famer

« #207 : May 14, 2012, 07:43:58 AM »

Interesting. People talk about Bowers and we have a $55 million receiver who could fit the same agrument.

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
« #208 : May 14, 2012, 08:09:10 AM »

Torn Meniscus and now Achilles Tendon. Some rough injuries. Objectively, I'll sadly say he is injury prone until he proves otherwise.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #209 : May 14, 2012, 08:27:58 AM »

He may have moved from the "injury prone" category to the " damaged goods" category. Which is even worse...

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Page: 1 ... 12 13 14
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: DE BOWERS IS LIKELY OUT FOR THE YEAR WITH TORN ACHILLES « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools