Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: many blacks shrug off Obama's new view on gays « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 7

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

: May 11, 2012, 11:18:04 PM

ARDMORE, Pa. (AP) Like many black Americans, Dorsey Jackson does not believe in gay marriage, but he wasn't disillusioned when Barack Obama became the first president to support it. The windows of his suburban Philadelphia barbershop still display an "Obama 2012" placard and another that reads "We've Got His Back."

If Obama needs to endorse same-sex marriage to be re-elected, said Jackson, so be it: "Look, man by any means necessary."

With that phrase popularized by the black radical Malcolm X, Jackson rebutted those who say Obama's new stand will weaken the massive black support he needs to win re-election in November. Black voters and especially black churches have long opposed gay marriage. But the 40-year-old barber and other African-Americans interviewed in politically key states say their support for Obama remains unshaken.

Some questioned whether he really believes what he says about gay marriage or merely took that stand to help defeat Republican Mitt Romney suggesting African-Americans view the first black president less as an icon than as a straight-up politician who still feels like family.

"Obama is human," said Leon Givens of Charlotte, N.C. "I don't have him on a pedestal."

On Tuesday, Givens voted in favor of banning gay marriage in North Carolina. Many black precincts voted 2-1 for the ballot measure, which passed easily.

The next day, Givens heard Obama tell the nation in a TV interview: "I think same-sex couples should be able to get married."

But this fall, Givens plans to register Obama voters and drive senior citizens to the polls. A retired human resources manager, he suspects the president's pronouncement was "more a political thing than his true feelings." But he's not dwelling on it.

"We can agree to disagree on gay marriage," Givens said, "and then I leave him alone."

Obama won North Carolina in 2008 by a mere 14,000 votes, thanks largely to a huge black turnout. Nationally, 95 percent of black voters chose Obama, and 2 million more black people voted than in 2004. No one doubts Obama will carry the black vote this year, but whether he can again turn out such large numbers could prove crucial to his chances.

African-Americans have historically been more hostile to gays and lesbians than other racial and ethnic groups.

Only 39 percent of African-Americans favor gay marriage, compared with 47 percent of white Americans, according to a Pew poll conducted this April. Forty-nine percent of blacks and 43 percent of whites are opposed.

But blacks like other Americans have become more supportive of same-sex marriage in recent years. Black support has risen dramatically since 2008, when only 26 percent of black people favored gay marriage and 63 percent were opposed, according to Pew.

Much of the opposition stems from religious beliefs. Church is the backbone of black America 22 percent of black people attend religious services more than once per week, compared with 11 percent of whites, according to recent AP/GfK polls.

Mel Brown, a 65-year-old project manager in Philadelphia, says same-sex marriage "is between them and their God. The God I serve does not agree with that."

Does Obama's announcement change Brown's support for the president? "Absolutely not. Because Scripture says we all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God."

Black voters, led by black churches, have played key roles in blocking same-sex marriage in states like California, where 2008 exit polls indicated about 70 percent black opposition, and Maryland, where black Democrats were part of a statehouse coalition that stalled a gay marriage bill in 2011. (It passed this year but may face a referendum in November.)

Part of the tension between gays and blacks comes from comparisons of their struggles. Some cast gay marriage as the last frontier of equal rights for all; others counter that minority status comes more from how you look than what you do.

Tanyeo Wotorson, a film producer and director in New York City, supports Obama's new position and said prohibitions on same-sex marriage "return to that time when whites could send people to the back of the bus and women couldn't vote."

Darian Aaron, a gay black man, acknowledges that there are differences between black issues and gay rights, but "at its core both groups are seeking to gain access to full equality under the law."

Even if Obama had not supported same-sex marriage, Aaron said he still would have voted for him because the president has signaled his support in other ways and Romney strongly opposes gay marriage.

Aaron laments that "many within the black community find it nearly impossible to see gay rights through any lens other than biblical." But he finds hope in the statistics showing black people becoming more accepting and says that may be because they've gotten to know gays and lesbians, which breaks down stereotypes.

Many black pastors have been reluctant to address same-sex marriage from the pulpit; the topic remains taboo in much of their community. Now, "with the president taking such a clear stand on the issue, and his being such a beloved figure and historic symbol for African-Americans, I think it will advance the conversation," said the Rev. Raphael Warnock of Ebenezer Baptist Church in Atlanta.

"As a pastor, I will have to say something about this on Sunday," Warnock said.

The Rev. Joseph Lowery, a giant of the civil rights movement who delivered the benediction at Obama's inauguration, said he agrees with Obama on gay marriage.

"I believe in equal rights," Lowery said. "You can't believe in equal rights for some. That's an oxymoron."

However: "Do I like it? I'm uncomfortable with it," said Lowery, 90. "We grew up under boy-girl, man-woman, courtship and marriage."

Obama's statement may actually be following the changing black opinion rather than leading it, said William Jelani Cobb, a Rutgers University professor and author of "The Substance of Hope: Barack Obama and the Paradox of Progress."

"Presidencies tend to follow the culture, as opposed to being ahead of it," he said. "What this says is that the culture has gotten to a place where the executive branch feels like it can embrace this and not be so far ahead of the curve that they'll suffer really serious political damage for it."

philosophy is questions that may never be answered
religion is answers that may never be questioned

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

#1 : May 11, 2012, 11:23:37 PM

For the record, I personal know some african americans who are not voting for Obama b/c of his support of same sex marriage. I'm sure there are some blacks who will blindly vote for Obama b/c he is black but lets face it. he had this election in the bag before all this.
This article is just taking advantage of the current wave of emotions that has overtaken the american public and is "one upping" the last article.
There is also the silent minority of black Ron Paul supporters that the media will never touch.

Once again, the media steers the discourse.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#2 : May 12, 2012, 04:37:01 AM

he had this election in the bag before all this.

Once again, the media steers the discourse.

I think a ham sandwich could win against him personally.

The media is so far invested into the government, they are going to spew whatever they can to sway it one way or the other. Whichever is going to benefit their pockets most. News is hasnt been remotely unbiased for at least 20 years.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#3 : May 12, 2012, 09:21:09 AM

For the record, I personal know some african americans who are not voting for Obama b/c of his support of same sex marriage.

I dont' believe that for a second.   They may "say" they are going to do that, but when it comes time to be in the voting booth, they will vote Obama.   

spartan

Hall of Famer
#4 : May 12, 2012, 11:23:49 AM

I'm sure there are some blacks who will blindly vote for Obama b/c he is black

Some?

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#5 : May 12, 2012, 11:34:49 AM

I think the bigger problem with Obama's view on gay marriage is that it keeps changing week to week.

Obama supported gay marriage in 1996 but later opposed it in 2004
    Sasha and Malia's friends, who have gay parents, helped change the president's mind
    Obama says issue should still be left up to the states
    New position draws sharp contrast with Republicans like Mitt Romney, who opposes same sex unions

By Michael Zennie and Thomas Durante

PUBLISHED: 22:54 EST, 9 May 2012 | UPDATED: 11:09 EST, 10 May 2012

President Obama's dramatic change of heart on the issue of gay marriage today sent shockwaves through the political world - and a boatload of cash into his campaign war chest.

After Obama's shock announcement last night, his re-election crusade saw a massive spike in donations as gay donors lined up to pour money into his campaign.

BuzzFeed reported that Obama's campaign collected an astonishing $1million within 90 minutes after the ABC News interview aired.

But while gay rights advocates applauded Obama's announcement on Wednesday, Republicans accused the commander-in-chief of pulling off a cynical political maneuver.

Change of heart: President Barack Obama said he once thought civil unions were sufficient rights for gay couples, but he no longer believes that

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2142198/Gay-marriage-Barack-Obamas-shift-sex-marriage-nets-1m-90-minutes.html#ixzz1ufamAxOg

Funny how million$ in donations can "Change his heart"

Chief Joseph

Hall of Famer

#6 : May 12, 2012, 12:09:45 PM

Some?

If all the white people voted for someone because they were white, wouldn't that be racist?

Well, at least there's no double standard.

It's amazing how many people will claim to be against racism, then turn and embrace it when they're on the other side of things.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#7 : May 12, 2012, 12:20:19 PM

Some?

No, not some. ALL black people. Right, Spartan?

Every black person who voted for Obama in 2008 or who will vote for him in 2012 only voted/will vote, for him because he is black. Because we all
know black people have no critical thinking skills and are only able to see the race of the candidate when deciding on who to vote for.

That what you're trying to say, Spartan?

Chief Joseph

Hall of Famer

#8 : May 12, 2012, 12:24:53 PM

I didn't see Spartan write any of that, joe. I would, however, be interested in your explanation why blacks overwhelmingly voted for Obama.

Go ahead, paint the racism up real pretty for us.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#9 : May 12, 2012, 12:43:59 PM

I didn't see Spartan write any of that, joe. I would, however, be interested in your explanation why blacks overwhelmingly voted for Obama.

Spartan inferred that more than "some" blacks will blindly vote for Obama because he is black. I'd love for him to say that to the black people
I know.

As far as the overwhelming black vote for Obama? Maybe it had to do with blacks historically voting D and not seeing a viable option in senile McCain.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#10 : May 12, 2012, 01:30:08 PM

Spartan inferred that more than "some" blacks will blindly vote for Obama because he is black. I'd love for him to say that to the black people
I know.

Don't see how Spartan is wrong though. "Some" is a nondescript term, more than "some" is still "some" All depends on how many "some" is. Better define what "is" is while we are at it ;)

As far as the overwhelming black vote for Obama? Maybe it had to do with blacks historically voting D and not seeing a viable option in senile McCain.

The question is will there be an "overwhelming black vote" this time around? I seriously doubt it.

spartan

Hall of Famer
#11 : May 12, 2012, 02:09:12 PM

Some?

Every black person who voted for Obama in 2008 or who will vote for him in 2012 only voted/will vote, for him because he is black. Because we all know black people have no critical thinking skills and are only able to see the race of the candidate when deciding on who to vote for.

So there is no middle ground between "some" and "all?"

How's about "many?" Like the "many" African Americans who have gone on record as saying they voted for, and will vote again for America's FIRST BLACK President? Admittedly I think it helps he is a Democrat as I can't see the same blind allegiance to a Black Republican candidate, but it is what it is.

Going for a bike ride now with my girls and black nephew. See ya later!

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

#12 : May 12, 2012, 03:30:35 PM

Some?

Every black person who voted for Obama in 2008 or who will vote for him in 2012 only voted/will vote, for him because he is black. Because we all know black people have no critical thinking skills and are only able to see the race of the candidate when deciding on who to vote for.

So there is no middle ground between "some" and "all?"

How's about "many?" Like the "many" African Americans who have gone on record as saying they voted for, and will vote again for America's FIRST BLACK President? Admittedly I think it helps he is a Democrat as I can't see the same blind allegiance to a Black Republican candidate, but it is what it is.

Going for a bike ride now with my girls and black nephew. See ya later!
Why can't he just be your nephew?

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

#13 : May 12, 2012, 03:36:22 PM

For the record, I personal know some african americans who are not voting for Obama b/c of his support of same sex marriage.

I dont' believe that for a second.   They may "say" they are going to do that, but when it comes time to be in the voting booth, they will vote Obama.   
Obama is the only motivation for most blacks to vote. They have to be motivated to get to the voting booth and now that Obama has vocally supported same sex marriage, there will be thousands of black christians who will not be voting this year.

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

#14 : May 12, 2012, 03:41:26 PM

Blacks overwhelmingly vote democrat, not based on skin color. Herman Cain got No support from the black community.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: many blacks shrug off Obama's new view on gays « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools