Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "Doug Martin will be the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' starting running back" « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: May 14, 2012, 12:25:46 AM

Doug Martin will be the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' starting running back

by Sander on May 13, 2012 12:00 PM EDT in Player Analysis

Al Messerschmidt - Getty Images.
 Doug Martin #22 of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers,  during a rookie practice at the Buccaneers practice facility May 4, 2012 in Tampa, Florida.

This question seems to have everyone up in arms, which I don't quite understand. No one knows who will be the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' starting running back yet, but I can make an easy prediction: Doug Martin will beat out Legarrette Blount. First-round picks always have a leg up in competition in practice, but that's not just why Martin will win the starting job. He will win it because he's a more versatile running back, who can also be a factor in the passing game.

Blount, meanwhile, is a running back who runs the ball and does little else. He has the physical ability to be a good pass-blocker, but he only got a few chances to do so in the past two years - and there's a reason for that. More importantly, perhaps, I don't think he'll ever be a quality receiver out of the backfield: he does not have the ability to make the first man miss in space, which is a necessary component of being a good dump-off receiver.

To me, it's almost a foregone conclusion that Martin will win the starting job. But that's not a real relevant observation. 'Starting' means nothing more than being on the field for the first snap of the game. Doug Martin will get that first snap, and he'll get almost all of the snaps in the passing game. But that doesn't mean Legarrette Blount won't get his chance as a runner. I would look for an Ahmad Bradshaw-Brandon Jacobs distribution of carries between Martin and Blount respectively. Most teams have two backs who receive a significant amount of carries, and both Blount and Martin will get theirs this year. The question of who will start is a lot less relevant than how that distribution works out.

http://www.bucsnation.com/2012/5/13/3017420/doug-martin-will-be-the-tampa-bay-buccaneers-starting-running-back

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#1 : May 14, 2012, 12:26:50 AM

Of course he will be the starter.    There's not even any doubt about that.

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#2 : May 14, 2012, 12:40:18 AM

Does it really matter who get's announced out the tunnel? Blount would likely take not be the starter personally, but I don't think Martin cares, at least not now. As long as Blount shows up, works hard, and gives the Bucs confidence he is the type of guy who is going to get better even if it takes him time to grow in the playbook (bascially shows signs that he is re-signable), then it is smart for the Bucs to keep him as a starter. Besides its always better to start with the hammer.
: May 14, 2012, 01:36:28 AM BucsPirate1

Pepsi

Hall of Famer
#3 : May 14, 2012, 01:08:24 AM

Blount will be the starter

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#4 : May 14, 2012, 01:44:06 AM

Blount has two years experience playing in this league, but this will be his first full off-season with the Bucs. On the few occasions the ball has been thrown to him, he has caught the ball and made yardage. He's not stupid. He can be coached, and he has better coaches to work with now. He can learn to pass protect and run routes. He can learn to take better care of the ball. It doesn't matter if Michael Smith takes the first snap. We need to make use of the talents of ALL of our players. Doug Martin can't carry the whole load, and this is not college. The season is longer and these are men he's facing. They are bigger, faster, and stronger. RBBC is the way to go.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#5 : May 14, 2012, 08:19:13 AM

Blount, meanwhile, is a running back who runs the ball and does little else. He has the physical ability to be a good pass-blocker, but he only got a few chances to do so in the past two years - and there's a reason for that.

Yes. The reason is an idiot OC named LOLsen. Lumpkin was the statistacly the worst 3rd down back in the entire league, and yet Blount all season on the bench while Lumpkin was eating up snaps. Blaming Blount for LOLsen's inability to do his job is pointless and misleading.

More importantly, perhaps, I don't think he'll ever be a quality receiver out of the backfield: he does not have the ability to make the first man miss in space, which is a necessary component of being a good dump-off receiver.

We've had weak run blocking that usually allows a defender in the backfield before Freeman can even get the ball handed off, and yet Blount leads all RBs in the league over the past two years in yards after first contact.....but he can't make the first man miss?

Martin is great, and he might very well be named the starter, but why can't people just say that without making up negative hyperbole about Blount? The guy is a freak of nature and we are so lucky to have him. Why is it so hard for people to embrace that fact?

Draft Aaron Donald

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
#6 : May 14, 2012, 08:24:01 AM

I think Blount will improve his pass protection and receiving this off-season significantly. Will he get the nod to start over Martin? I have a hard time saying anything is obvious at this point.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#7 : May 14, 2012, 08:26:03 AM

It's going to be hard to keep a back you spent a 1st round pick on out of the starting lineup. Blount is going to have to his best offseason ever ( learnimg pass protection and the whole nine yards ) for that to happen - and it still might not , due to politics.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

PassThePigSkin

Hall of Famer

#8 : May 14, 2012, 08:56:02 AM

It's going to be hard to keep a back you spent a 1st round pick on out of the starting lineup. Blount is going to have to his best offseason ever ( learnimg pass protection and the whole nine yards ) for that to happen - and it still might not , due to politics.

I don't think it will be hard at all, The saints used a 1st on Mark Ingram and had another for sure starter. 2 back league.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#9 : May 14, 2012, 09:19:57 AM

I don't think it will be hard at all, The saints used a 1st on Mark Ingram and had another for sure starter. 2 back league.

Ingram has had lots on injury issues , plus he overrated and the saints are realizing this....

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#10 : May 14, 2012, 09:33:53 AM

Blount, meanwhile, is a running back who runs the ball and does little else. He has the physical ability to be a good pass-blocker, but he only got a few chances to do so in the past two years - and there's a reason for that.

Yes. The reason is an idiot OC named LOLsen. Lumpkin was the statistacly the worst 3rd down back in the entire league, and yet Blount all season on the bench while Lumpkin was eating up snaps. Blaming Blount for LOLsen's inability to do his job is pointless and misleading.

More importantly, perhaps, I don't think he'll ever be a quality receiver out of the backfield: he does not have the ability to make the first man miss in space, which is a necessary component of being a good dump-off receiver.

We've had weak run blocking that usually allows a defender in the backfield before Freeman can even get the ball handed off, and yet Blount leads all RBs in the league over the past two years in yards after first contact.....but he can't make the first man miss?

Martin is great, and he might very well be named the starter, but why can't people just say that without making up negative hyperbole about Blount? The guy is a freak of nature and we are so lucky to have him. Why is it so hard for people to embrace that fact?

It's a prejudice of sorts. Some people will forever associate Blount with Raheem. They can't accept the fact that Raheem had a huge impact in personnel upgrades for the Bucs. Blount set a team record in ypc (for RBs) with only 9 starts. By comparison Cadillac Williams was averaging less than half of that behind the STARTING OL. Blount didn't have that benefit. He gained his yardage running behind backups and scrubs. Raheem laid a foundation for the future with Freeman (our first real franchise QB) our base corps of WRs, and on the DL. Raheem couldn't coach and he couldn't lead, but he did leave Schiano something to work with. Schiano CAN lead, and I believe this new staff will coach these players up and take full advantage of their talents. Freeman set a team record in TD to interception ratio. In fact he ranked #9 in league history, and that was in his FIRST full year as a starter. Questionable coaching makes it even more impressive.

In 2 or 3 years people will forget and Schiano will be famous for his resurrection of the franchise. The Bucs will be HIS team, and Blount will be a "Buccaneer Man".

Pteranodon

Pro Bowler

#11 : May 14, 2012, 09:50:37 AM

Didn't understand that either, maybe it means that he can't put a move on the defender which may be true, but what's the difference when one guy usually can't tackle him anyways.

PassThePigSkin

Hall of Famer

#12 : May 14, 2012, 09:51:41 AM

Ingram has had lots on injury issues , plus he overrated and the saints are realizing this....

Right, but before that he was drafted in the 1st round even though they had another starter.

Naismith

Hall of Famer
#13 : May 14, 2012, 10:03:34 AM

Panthers drafted Jonathan Stewart in the first to backup/split with Deangelo Williams who they drafted in the first to backup/split carries with Deshaun Foster. Donald Brown and Beanie Wells were both firsts in 2009 and started as backups. Felix Jones and Rashard Mendenhall in 2008, etc.

Being a first doesn't guarantee that a RB immediately starts. My gut feeling is that outside the top ten, most first round RBs probably didn't immediately start, though I can't research that until later. Regardless, as long as both guys get > 25 carries per game, it won't really matter. :)

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#14 : May 14, 2012, 10:12:02 AM

As far as potential goes, we are MILES ahead of any RB combo we have ever had. Whether Martin or Blount starts is irrelevant; both will get carries assuming Blount has been cured of his fumblitis. And I think the 7th rounder, Smith, will factor in, as well as the FA Hughes, who I'd love to see become our FB. I like Lorig better as a TE and b/u FB...
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "Doug Martin will be the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' starting running back" « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools