Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: U.S. Army soldier brutally beaten in South Tampa « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 18 19 20

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#285 : June 04, 2012, 04:07:55 PM

Me not recalling something is anything but unusual ...

Anything but unusual you say. What do they call that? When something isn't unusual, it's _________ .

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#286 : June 04, 2012, 04:09:18 PM

Anything but unusual you say. What do they call that? When something isn't unusual, it's _________ .

Have fun with that.

Chief Joseph

Hall of Famer

#287 : June 04, 2012, 04:18:35 PM

He is a slippery little eel, isn't he?

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#288 : June 04, 2012, 04:48:23 PM

" can't really recall that many prominant "Minority guy beaten by white mob" news stories."

Yeah, that would be unusual.

Shouldn't they be usual though, given that the alleged bias is aimed in that direction?

Col. Klink

Pro Bowler

#289 : June 04, 2012, 05:23:28 PM

Usual?

Col. Klink

Pro Bowler

#290 : June 04, 2012, 05:30:35 PM

" can't really recall that many prominant "Minority guy beaten by white mob" news stories."

Shouldn't they be usual though, given that the alleged bias is aimed in that direction?

Yes, if I'm understanding their theory correctly. They should be usual news stories given the supposed unusual nature of the incidents ... Problem is nobody seems to be able to round up all these usual news stories about the unusual occurences.

Col. Klink

Pro Bowler

#291 : June 04, 2012, 05:32:13 PM

He is a slippery little eel, isn't he?

Not as slippery as the double standard explanation with corroborating examples ...
: June 04, 2012, 07:29:08 PM Col. Klink

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#292 : June 04, 2012, 05:47:55 PM

Yes, if I'm understanding their theory correctly. They should be usual news stories given the supposed unusual nature of the incidents ... Problem is nobody seems to be able to round up all these usual news stories about the unusual occurences.
If it is more of the same it is usual - then all is resolved.  And if you follow the logic - it is only the unusual that makes the news, thus that would become the ususal... odd isn't it.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Chief Joseph

Hall of Famer

#293 : June 04, 2012, 05:55:52 PM

In defining "whites attack minority" as unusual, and newsworthy, you also define "minorities attack white" as usual. You can not define one without defining the other - but you sure try like hell.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#294 : June 04, 2012, 06:42:01 PM

No, I don't think that is correct Illuminator.  The second definition is not assured based upon the first. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#295 : June 04, 2012, 07:16:19 PM

Has anyone yet said what the policy difference is? In other words, if you bellieve the two events are the same (maj v min as compared to min v maj) then was is the polciy difference or whta is the motivation of the media to report one but not the other?  I am not sure how one can say that news has gone down because of a focus on selling while simultaneously maintaining that the media does something counter to sellling.  Maybe I am missing something.  I presume everyone would agree that maj v. min plays to a narrative that sells, is there an argument that the other way around sells?

Col. Klink

Pro Bowler

#296 : June 04, 2012, 07:26:15 PM

In defining "whites attack minority" as unusual, and newsworthy, you also define "minorities attack white" as usual. You can not define one without defining the other - but you sure try like hell.

I didn't define it like that, JG? did .... and I addressed that earlier, saying I didn't agree with his breakdown. My only point was JG?'s final sentence, the one I pulled out, was accurate as a stand alone statement and was what I have been saying about this all along, taking race out as a sole driver and noting the fact that java left that statement out.

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#297 : June 04, 2012, 10:16:59 PM

It seems to me that since you admit that minorities attack whites far more than whites attack minorities, that you should also be complaining about the exaggerated media play whenever the rare occurrence of a minority getting attacked by a non minority happens.     It ends up inciting the minorities for no reason.   
: June 04, 2012, 10:18:37 PM JavaRay

Col. Klink

Pro Bowler

#298 : June 05, 2012, 12:19:49 AM

It seems to me that since you admit that minorities attack whites far more than whites attack minorities

You, I expected to be this dense ... Where did I admit that?

Page: 1 ... 18 19 20
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: U.S. Army soldier brutally beaten in South Tampa « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools