Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tweets (and now article) from OTA's on Blount, Williams « previous next »
Page: 1

YReceiver14

Starter

« : May 15, 2012, 02:52:49 PM »

All from Rick Stroud:

BUcs RB LeGarrette Blount on the addition of RBs Doug Martin and Michael Smith: "We needed it. I can't carry the load by myself...Nobody can affect my carries but me. They drafted (Martin) because we needed him....But at the end of the day, we're both going to play. But don't nobody affect my carries but me. Not what he does...Not what anybody else does, just how I practice and how fast I get the offense down pat."

Blount says he still sees himself as the No. 1 back. "Yeah, until they take it away.''

Blount says he has trimmed down during the off-season, losing between five and 10 lbs. "I had the idea they were going to draft another guy...Them drafting a running back might be what I needed to become an every down back.''

WR Mike Williams says the addition of Chargers FA Vincent Jackson will benefit him and the team. "Who can you double now?''

Mike Williams on his '11 season: "It wasn't good enough. Everybody asks me how I assess myself from last year, it just wasn't good enough.''

Article:

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/football/bucs/tampa-bay-buccaneers-legarrette-blount-nobody-can-affect-my-carries-but-me/1230187

Not unlike his bulldozing running style, LeGarrette Blount is not going to dance around an issue when he can plow through it. So when asked how the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' selection of Boise State running back Doug Martin will affect his workload, Blount did not stiff-arm the topic.

"I think nobody can affect my carries but me,'' Blount said. "They drafted him because we needed him. But at the end of the day, we're both going to play. Don't nobody affect my carries but me, not what he does, not what anybody else does, just how I practice and how fast I get the offense down pat and everything like that. That's the only thing that will affect my carries.''

So despite the addition of Martin and Utah State running back Michael Smith, does Blount see himself as the starting tailback?

"Yeah,'' he said smiling, "until they take it away.''

That's not to suggest that Blount couldn't see what was happening at the running back position shortly after coach Greg Schiano was hired from Rutgers. In March, Schiano was critical of Blount's lack of ball security. In two pro seasons, Blount has fumbled nine times, losing six.

With only Blount and Mosis Madu on the roster at running back, it was inevitable the Bucs would fortify that position, perhaps with the No. 5 overall pick in the NFL draft. Tampa Bay traded down two spots to select Alabama safety Mark Barron while picking up a fourth-round pick. They then used that extra selection to trade back into the first round and take Martin 31st overall.

Even before the draft, Blount knew the Bucs were going to find someone to come after his job. So he took advantage of the off-season program to lose between five and 10 pounds. "I kind of had the idea they were going to draft another guy, so you've got to come back in the best shape possible,'' Blount said.

On the first day of the Bucs' Organized Team Activities Monday, Blount took his spot as the No. 1 tailback while a gimpy Martin worked on another field with a trainer helping him recover from a hamstring strain.

Blount, who has been the Bucs' leading rusher the past two seasons with 1,788 yards and 11 touchdowns (4.6 average), has rarely been used on passing downs or even much as a receiver. He has 20 career receptions for 162 yards and no touchdowns. Under new Bucs offensive coordinator Mike Sullivan, Blount hopes to get more opportunities in the passing game.

"I'm proving more and more every day that I can play on every down,'' Blount said.

In fact, Blount believes the addition of Martin and Smith will eventually make him a more complete player.

"I think I will become a better player having other guys compete for the job,'' Blount said. "Them drafting a running back might have been what I needed to become an every down back. So, you know, you've got to compete, you've got to be a competitor and competition is what makes guys better than what they would usually be.

"You can never be comfortable. Nobody in the NFL can ever be comfortable. You have your select few that can. Adrian Petersons and your Ray Rices and your Arian Fosters -- those guys. You have a handful that can be comfortable in their offense no matter who you draft. No, I haven't gotten comfortable, I haven't established that kind of credibility yet.''

Schiano said ultimately, performance in training camp and preseason games will determine which running back gets the bigger share of the workload.

"It's way to early for that,'' Schiano said. "We have to see who performs. As we talked about earlier, you earn your touches. So depending on how you practice and how you play in the preseason, that will determine how many touches you get by percentage, whether its ballcarriers or pass catches or whatever. Pass catchers sometimes the defense can dictate a little more. But ballcarriers? We make that decision.''
« : May 15, 2012, 03:12:45 PM YReceiver14 »

“Before you can be labeled elite, you’ve got to get a lot closer to having rings.”  --Josh Freeman, May 2012

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #1 : May 15, 2012, 03:12:52 PM »

Thanks. Good stuff. Cant wait to see how Mike and Blount bounce back.

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

« #2 : May 15, 2012, 03:20:33 PM »

At least he's saying the right things. Now let's see it on the field.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

Ladyfan

Hall of Famer
« #3 : May 15, 2012, 03:29:35 PM »

He's developing some mental toughness in addition to his bruising running style.  I hope with everything he has a great year because he get everyone's juices going and he is so much fun to watch when he's hot.  Heck the whole league loved that run of his where he shed guys, then carried guys, stiffed armed the whole thing.  It was a YouTube high light fpr weeks.  Love it

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #4 : May 15, 2012, 03:35:26 PM »

He's developing some mental toughness in addition to his bruising running style.  I hope with everything he has a great year because he get everyone's juices going and he is so much fun to watch when he's hot.  Heck the whole league loved that run of his where he shed guys, then carried guys, stiffed armed the whole thing.  It was a YouTube high light fpr weeks.  Love it

Agree. When hes on hes very fun to watch. Not many can stop him.

pittbullbuc

Second String
« #5 : May 15, 2012, 03:47:21 PM »

Couldn't have said it better Ladyfan,  I agree wholeheartedly.

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer
« #6 : May 15, 2012, 03:51:26 PM »

When Blount gets rolling it is electric. I just about jump out of my chair when LGB gets to the second level of the defense.

I honestly hope he is able to put it all together and keep Martin as the #2. If he's able to do that, it means he's on.

Buc on the Move

Pro Bowler

« #7 : May 15, 2012, 03:57:34 PM »

Nice recovery from the pre-draft comments.  Maybe Schiano really can coach some of these guys into being men about their jobs.

Sure seems like the Accountability piece is already setting in. 

Rusty

Hall of Famer
« #8 : May 15, 2012, 04:01:49 PM »

I think all 3 backs will find their place in the offense and do well.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

Pteranodon

Pro Bowler

« #9 : May 15, 2012, 04:02:04 PM »

I'm guessing the OL would rather block for him too, I remember that being said about Alstott and Blount just stays on his feet so much linemen can go push the pile more and keep hitting defenders down the field.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

« #10 : May 15, 2012, 04:08:05 PM »

No Blount haters yet.......awesome.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

Pteranodon

Pro Bowler

« #11 : May 15, 2012, 04:21:05 PM »

If Blount can get passing things worked out in his game they have got to figure a way to put him and Martin on the field at the same time quite a bit, I would rather see those two RB's out there more than a 3rd WR like Benn, 2nd TE like Stocker, or FB like anybody, all those positions and packages offer is less talent on the field to me, realize it's going to happen for certain formations but use some imagination when your better weapons play the same position.
  Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tweets (and now article) from OTA's on Blount, Williams « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools