Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NAACP Backs Same-Sex Marriage « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 16

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« : May 21, 2012, 03:00:50 AM »

The Times They Are Definitely A-Changin.

Great to be alive during this period of history.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303448404577414963732163788.html

NAACP Backs Same-Sex Marriage

Associated Press

The NAACP passed a resolution Saturday endorsing same-sex marriage as a civil right and opposing any efforts "to codify discrimination or hatred into the law."

The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People's board voted at a leadership retreat in Miami to back a resolution supporting marriage equality, calling the position consistent with the equal protection provision of the U.S. Constitution.

"The mission of the NAACP has always been to ensure political, social and economic equality of all people," Board Chairwoman Roslyn M. Brock said in a statement. "We have and will oppose efforts to codify discrimination into law."

Same-sex marriage is legal in six states and the District of Columbia, but 31 states have passed amendments to ban it.

The NAACP vote came about two weeks after President Barack Obama announced his support for gay marriage, setting off a flurry of political activity in a number of states. Obama's announcement followed Vice President Joe Biden's declaration in a television interview that he was "absolutely comfortable" with gay couples marrying.

"Civil marriage is a civil right and a matter of civil law. The NAACP's support for marriage equality is deeply rooted in the Fourteenth Amendment of the United States Constitution and equal protection of all people," said NAACP President Benjamin Todd Jealous, a strong backer of gay rights.

Gay marriage has divided the black community, with many religious leaders opposing it. In California, exit polls showed about 70% of blacks opposed same-sex marriage in 2008. In Maryland, black religious leaders helped derail a gay marriage bill last year. But state lawmakers passed a gay marriage bill this year.

Pew Research Center polls have found that African Americans have become more supportive of same-sex marriage in recent years, but remain less supportive than other groups. A poll conducted in April showed 39% of African-Americans favor gay marriage, compared with 47 percent of whites. The poll showed 49% of blacks and 43% of whites are opposed.

The Human Rights Campaign, a leading gay-rights advocacy group, applauded the step by the Baltimore-based civil rights organization.

"We could not be more pleased with the NAACP's history-making vote today—which is yet another example of the traction marriage equality continues to gain in every community," HRC President Joe Solmonese said in a statement.

Escobar06

Hall of Famer

« #1 : May 21, 2012, 03:03:53 AM »

If polygamists came forward and demanded the same "civil right", would you be in favor of that, too? Honest question. If you wouldn't agree with it, why not?

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

« #2 : May 21, 2012, 03:51:52 AM »

The Times They Are Definitely A-Changin.

Great to be alive during this period of history.

NAACP Backs Same-Sex Marriage

LOL!   Thanks for the best laugh I've had all week.   

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #3 : May 21, 2012, 04:48:15 AM »

The times they are a-changin, huh?

How about NCAAP start by changin' its name.

I thought referring to black people as colored people was offensive.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
« #4 : May 21, 2012, 08:15:20 AM »

+1

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« #5 : May 21, 2012, 08:53:19 AM »

If polygamists came forward and demanded the same "civil right", would you be in favor of that, too?

I've answered this question many times before.

Yes.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #6 : May 21, 2012, 11:13:04 AM »

I would think these moves for votes (Obama) and hollow gestures (NAACP) to support those who are moving for votes would be transparent to most folks.  Guess not.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #7 : May 21, 2012, 11:33:11 AM »

Intersting to see who immediately posted in this thread. The comments were a little predictable, but interesting nonetheless.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #8 : May 21, 2012, 11:36:43 AM »

It could be interesting as the organization is telling members how they should believe, as opposed to appealing to folks with similar beliefs. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #9 : May 21, 2012, 11:54:17 AM »

I am not sure why anyone would be surprised.  I guess the alternatives was to be called hypocrites because the NC law really left them no choice, as indicated in the first part of the article:

The NAACP passed a resolution Saturday . . . .  . opposing any efforts "to codify discrimination or hatred into the law."

"The mission of the NAACP has always been to ensure political, social and economic equality of all people," Board Chairwoman Roslyn M. Brock said in a statement. "We have and will oppose efforts to codify discrimination into law."

As is always the case, hatred and bigotry leads people to overreach and the overreaching backfires.  Happens all the time, which probably tells us something about hatred and bigotry. 
« : May 21, 2012, 11:55:58 AM VinBucFan »

spartan

Hall of Famer
« #10 : May 21, 2012, 01:05:57 PM »

As is always the case, hatred and bigotry leads people to overreach and the overreaching backfires.  Happens all the time, which probably tells us something about hatred and bigotry.

I will agree on the overreach bit based on what I have heard, but it is possible to be opposed to something without animus.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #11 : May 21, 2012, 01:08:15 PM »

I will agree on the overreach bit based on what I have heard, but it is possible to be opposed to something without animus.

I completely agree, but the overreaching was animus

Col. Klink

Pro Bowler

« #12 : May 21, 2012, 02:22:11 PM »

How about NCAAP start by changin' its name.

Looks like you already did ...

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #13 : May 21, 2012, 02:35:14 PM »

yes, glad to see that you don't have me on ignore -

apologies to the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People

Col. Klink

Pro Bowler

« #14 : May 21, 2012, 02:40:41 PM »

yes, glad to see that you don't have me on ignore -

apologies to the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People

Why would I have you on Ignore??

The Ignore function is for sissies  ...
  Page: 1 2 3 ... 16
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NAACP Backs Same-Sex Marriage « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools