Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Writer Tom Jones: Rays are among the five worst teams to own. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
: May 27, 2012, 07:36:19 PM

As a valute-investor who buys low, sells high...gotta disagree......

--------------------------------------------------------

Five best teams to own

New York Yankees

Clearly the gold standard, the Rolls Royce, the creme de la creme of sports franchises in North America. If the Dodgers could be sold for $2.15 billion, what are the Yankees worth? And yet if they went on the market today, suitors would line up. Why? Because they are a cash machine. What makes the Yankees so valuable is they own their own television station, the YES Network. Instead of getting money for TV rights, the Yankees get every cent from the advertising on YES.

Los Angeles Lakers

Next season, the Lakers begin a television deal that will pay them $200 million annually for the next 20 years. In recent years, the Lakers were the team in Los Angeles because the Dodgers were a mess, the Clippers were perennially bad and the Kings weren't that much of an attraction. Best of all, the Lakers don't have to compete with an NFL team. However, things are changing. The Dodgers are back on track, the Clippers finally put together a winner and the Kings are in the Stanley Cup final. Still, the Lakers, for now, remain the marquee team in Tinseltown.

San Antonio Spurs

Forbes recently valued the Spurs the ninth-most valuable team in the NBA with an estimated worth of $418 million. Quite impressive considering San Antonio is the 29th-ranked television market in the country. So what makes the Spurs so appealing? Well, for starters, they are good and have been for years. Best of all, they have no competition. They are the only game in town. Portland and Orlando are two other successful NBA teams with no competition for the sports dollar.

Toronto Maple Leafs

Our pick for the team in North America with the most rabid following. True, most teams have passionate fans. Some teams I'm thinking Yankees, Red Sox, Steelers, Packers, Cowboys seem to have fans that take their intensity far beyond most. But the Leafs aren't merely intensely popular in Toronto but in most of Canada. Most of that country follows hockey like a religion, and all of the Canadian teams have great fans, especially Montreal. However, you will find a heavy clump of Leafs fans in every pocket of the country, and their devotion remains astounding considering the team hasn't won a Stanley Cup since 1967.

Dallas Cowboys

They remain America's team. They have the best stadium in the NFL and a tradition bigger than the size of Texas. Their revenues last year are believed to be somewhere in the half-a-billion range. CNBC sports business reporter Darren Rovell recently told ESPNDallas.com: "The Yankees would be worth about $4 billion, and given the revenues, given the new stadium, given national TV rights, everything coming in (the Cowboys are) probably worth about a billion dollars more than the Yankees."

Five worst teams to own

Tampa Bay Rays

Sorry, and this has nothing to do with Stuart Sternberg's job as owner and just how well this organization is run. Working on a financially responsible budget, the Rays executive staff of Sternberg, president Matt Silverman and vice president Andrew Friedman, as well as manager Joe Maddon, have put together an organization that is as impressive as any in baseball. But the team needs a new stadium and has a fan base that would rather stay home and watch on TV instead of going to the ballpark. On the field, everything is great. Off the field? I wouldn't touch it.

New York Islanders

This the Tampa Bay Rays of the National Hockey League. Oh, except for the winning part. This once-proud franchise won four consecutive Stanley Cups in the early 1980s, but it has missed the playoffs in 13 of the past 17 seasons. The Islanders haven't won a playoff series since 1993. And they've finished last in each of the past five seasons. Worst of all, they play in the 40-year-old Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum, which might be the worst pro sports venue in the country.

Oakland A's

Let's start with a dump of a stadium. The O.co Coliseum, also known as Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum, is the worst stadium in baseball. Yep, worse than the Trop. Maybe that's why the A's had the worst attendance in baseball in 2011, averaging just more than 18,000 a game. The A's are the second team in a two-team market, behind the Giants, and the hopes of building a stadium remain iffy, at best. The A's Moneyball ways have garnered only meager success, and they haven't had a winning record since 2006.

Pittsburgh Pirates

What does it say when a team has, arguably, the most beautiful stadium in the major leagues and yet has a franchise value that is 28th among the 30 MLB teams? It tells you the organization is lousy. It hasn't had a winning record since 1992 and don't expect that streak to end this season. Forbes estimates the Pirates value at $336 million, paltry in baseball circles.

Jacksonville Jaguars

The Jaguars are consistently listed among the least-valued franchises in the NFL with a worth somewhere in the $800 million range. They play in a cavernous stadium and simply aren't good enough to fill it. The only salvation is this franchise could ultimately end up being a team that is moved to Los Angeles. Then, and only then, might it be a franchise worth owning.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/five-teams-you-would-want-to-own-and-five-you-wouldnt/1232242

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#1 : May 27, 2012, 07:53:18 PM

Well that should make you happy M organ.  Something negative about a Tampa franchise does that for you doesn't it. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#2 : May 27, 2012, 09:10:33 PM

I still believe if the stadium had been put near RJS, the crowds would be better.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#3 : May 27, 2012, 09:27:48 PM

Agree - there's a general rule that the stadium should be w/in a 30 minute drive for the heart of your population to maximize attendance. With the Trop being on a peninsula, much of the TB area isn't within that 30 min drive. I've got no problem w/ the Trop myself - enjoy going to games there - usually about 10-20 a season.

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#4 : May 27, 2012, 09:37:56 PM

If you are retired, it's not a problem going to the trop.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#5 : May 27, 2012, 09:43:55 PM

A long drive vs watching the game on HDTV. People have that choice since almost every home game is televised.

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#6 : May 27, 2012, 10:15:34 PM

I will be hitting some games soon.   But I won't be working the week I'm in Tampa.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#7 : May 28, 2012, 12:23:04 PM

I still believe if the stadium had been put near RJS, the crowds would be better.

much much better. The Trop is a terrible location. Not near where people work, not near where people live and no mass trans options.

I lived in ATL for a yr and the TED always was near full. It was near downtown and there was a MARTA station right there. People in Buckhead, Dunwoody, Sandy Springs, Decatur, etc. could hope on a train and be right in front of the stadium in under 20 minutes. No traffic, no parking hassles. Since MLB is a weekday sport, there has to be easy transport to and from games. The Rays don't have that.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#8 : May 28, 2012, 04:04:35 PM

I will be hitting some games soon.   But I won't be working the week I'm in Tampa.

Watching the Chisox game now and SUN keeps showing a long line of ticket buyers waiting to get tickets to today's game as walk-ups.......and it's the 4th inning.  Looks like the Rays weren't prepared - probably have one ticket window operating. Not good.

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#9 : May 28, 2012, 04:21:27 PM

Unfortunately, when I'm in town, they play the Yankees.    I like to go see them play loser teams like the Blue Jays so I can get cheap tickets.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#10 : May 28, 2012, 05:01:12 PM

Blue Jay's games ....you get the entire section to yourself.

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#11 : May 28, 2012, 05:03:31 PM

I paid $4 for my ticket to the Blue Jays the last couple of times.

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#12 : May 28, 2012, 05:24:09 PM

No one wants to sit in the crap hole park either. You guys need a new one.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#13 : May 29, 2012, 05:51:40 PM

nothing wrong w/ the Trop itself - just a bad location - I've been to Fenway, and other than it being a historical landmark - that place is a dump.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#14 : May 29, 2012, 05:55:27 PM

trop is a dump and the location sucks
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Writer Tom Jones: Rays are among the five worst teams to own. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools