Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Writer Tom Jones: Rays are among the five worst teams to own. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #15 : May 29, 2012, 08:45:26 PM »

nothing wrong w/ the Trop itself - just a bad location - I've been to Fenway, and other than it being a historical landmark - that place is a dump.

Even if you think Fenway is a dump, its a way, way way better overall experience than the Trop.  Fenway is surrounded by bars and restaurants that are hopping on game days and and easily reached by public transportationm.  Downtown nightlife is only minutes away and the area in general is always hopping with BU students and more.  Its all those other things, not the interior of the stadium, that is instructive.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

« #16 : May 30, 2012, 05:08:37 AM »

No one wants to sit in the crap hole park either. You guys need a new one.

I think the Trop is fine as far as a stadium.   The location is what sucks about it.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #17 : May 30, 2012, 06:00:28 AM »

A lot of people I know like the Trop and have nothing but good things to say about sitting in nice a/c temps, enjoying a game. Sure, it's not like the $500 mil new stadiums around the league, but in due time, they (Sternberg, Foster, Buccholz, Selig) will get their act together and work out something out.

Sweep

Hall of Famer
« #18 : May 30, 2012, 11:27:23 AM »

No one wants to sit in the crap hole park either. You guys need a new one.

I think the Trop is fine as far as a stadium.   The location is what sucks about it.

Java, the Trop is a depressing place.  People work indoors all week.  Kids go to school indoors all week.  Folks yearn for fresh air.

In addition, the lighting is bad.  It has the feel of a warehouse.

And  I don't care if it's 100 degrees outside, baseball is an outdoor sport.   I've been to many Atlanta and Cincinnati games  in August in my lifetime, hot and humid there as well.  No one there wanted a roof over their heads.

Two concerns I have about when/if they move to Hillsborough County.
1)  They not only install a retractable roof (that is unfortunately inevitable), but they use the roof on a clear day or night and turn the AC on.
2)  They locate the new stadium based on a study (ABC group)  that says getting to the park only takes........x amount of time.    The numbskulls never thought to take in consideration how long it takes to get back home.   Downtown should be out of the question as it takes forever to get out of there.    That discourages going again.

Near RJS is acceptable...but the ideal location to get there and get out in a reasonable amount of time is adjacent to the State Fairgrounds.    Anyone, from anywhere can get there and  get out without difficulty.  Sarasota, Bradenton, St. Pete, Tampa, Polk County, Orlando, even Ocala and Gainesville could see a game there without travel concerns.

My two cents.

It’s going to look to some people like a different play every time we use it, but pretty soon they’ll be able to recognize it....by watching the official for the first-down signal.   -Vincent T. Lombardi

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
« #19 : May 30, 2012, 12:14:20 PM »

I've been to games in Atlanta, NY, Boston, and Baltimore during the summer months and the heat can be brutal in all of those places during that time.  There were plenty of people in those stadiums talking about how they would love to be in an air conditioned dome.   But that is only part of the issue.   

As for leaving downtown, I don't really see that big of an issue.  I've been to several Lightning games and a few concerts this past year and was in my driveway in Wesley Chapel in under an hour.

Sweep

Hall of Famer
« #20 : May 30, 2012, 12:27:20 PM »

I've been to games in Atlanta, NY, Boston, and Baltimore during the summer months and the heat can be brutal in all of those places during that time.  There were plenty of people in those stadiums talking about how they would love to be in an air conditioned dome.   But that is only part of the issue.   

As for leaving downtown, I don't really see that big of an issue.  I've been to several Lightning games and a few concerts this past year and was in my driveway in Wesley Chapel in under an hour.

I respect all opinions, berserker.   It's been my experience that the majority of people you speak of that would love to be in an air conditioned dome are the "beautiful people"...aka...country club types that really don't give a hoot about the game or how often they come back. 
Baseball is about family and kids.  Kids want to be outdoors.  kIds need to be outdoors.    That goes for kids of all ages.

As far as your  "under an hour" drive back to your Wesley Chapel home, that's great.   But the Rays need to pull from locations a little further away than that on a consistent basis.   I've been in traffic going nowhere after a Tampa Bay Times forum event every time without exception.   Maybe I just went the wrong night.....every single time.

It’s going to look to some people like a different play every time we use it, but pretty soon they’ll be able to recognize it....by watching the official for the first-down signal.   -Vincent T. Lombardi

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
« #21 : May 30, 2012, 12:57:37 PM »

or the wrong route.   almost always to I-275 in 20 minutes or less.   I don't know that the traffic situation would be drastically different leaving the area around the fairgrounds.

As for the kids being outside, really not sure what that has to do with anything.   It's a cute quote though.  My kids and I spend a lot of time at the beach, parks, amusement parks, etc, but I'd prefer to enjoy my ball games without being concerned with a rain out or a heat stroke.   Guess I'm just a country club type that really doesn't give a hoot about the game or how often I come back .....

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #22 : May 30, 2012, 01:09:13 PM »

How about a convertible?

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
« #23 : May 30, 2012, 01:22:01 PM »

I'm sure that would make the drive to and from the park more enjoyable unless it is raining

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #24 : May 30, 2012, 01:28:40 PM »

I'm sure that would make the drive to and from the park more enjoyable unless it is raining

LOL. Isn't the Marlins new stadium a convertible?  I guess the costs might be prohibitive, but it would provide the best of both worlds.

I am not even really a baseball fan, but I have been to games in Fenway and Wrigley and Camden Yards.  Two things those stadiums have that the Trop does not: tons of nearby pre and post game entertainment and am "old school" feel. The Trop feels like the 70s, the Astrodome. Obviously, Fenway and Wrigley are old, but Camden Yards is a reproduction, so to speak (I think).   I think a stadium in downtown Tampa, near channelside, would work great

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
« #25 : May 30, 2012, 01:48:09 PM »

Yes, a retractable roof is the way to go.  It would probably be able to be open more often than not, but give some relief to the heat and from the rain when necessary.
 They've tried to create more of a post game thing near the trop with Fergs across the street and free transportation to downtown St. Pete.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #26 : May 30, 2012, 01:54:35 PM »

No one will sit in sweltering temps in Tampa to watch baseball outdoors - anyone that thinks so needs a reality check.

Sweep

Hall of Famer
« #27 : May 30, 2012, 01:58:02 PM »

No offense was intended, olafberserker.   I could have worded it all different, for sure.

People just act different when they are outdoors, though.   Kind of like going to the county fair indoors.   It's just not the same.  And there's so many things to do outdoors in the Bay area  that I believe if you can't see baseball outdoors, too many will do something else outdoors. (As they have been)

And Vince mentioned Camden yards...I really doubt if a survey was taken, O's fans would vote to add a roof to it.  Even if it was free.

It's all moot though because I think you and I agree that a retractable roof is inevitable.  If they would just leave it open regardless of the heat I'd be happy.
« : May 30, 2012, 02:00:18 PM PowerSweep »

pewtersurf

Hall of Famer
« #28 : May 30, 2012, 08:33:57 PM »

I live 7 hours away and have been to a few games every year.  I was at the Atlanta games a few weeks ago and it was a great experience.  Ive been with about 10 different people, some business people, friends, and family.   All have had a great time at the Trop.  The location could be better but its not horrible.  I would not want to go to an outdoor stadium in Tampa during the summer.  First half the games would be rain delayed.  Second its hotter than hell.  Third if I want to enjoy the sun in Tampa I go to the pool or beach, not to watch baseball.

This last time my girlfriend loved it and she has been to Colorado, Boston, Cubs, and one other.  She had a great time at the Trop.  So whoever is complaining I don't get it.  I can understand not wanting to drive but the experience is good and the prices are cheap.

Get your Battle Flag!  Join the Fight!

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #29 : May 31, 2012, 09:04:31 AM »

I enjoy watching the games at the Trop in the AC, but as for playing on the baseball field, it's a joke.  Balls hitting lights, catwalks, cables, etc. in play is absolutely ridiculous for a professional franchise.  It's an embarrassment in that respect.

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Writer Tom Jones: Rays are among the five worst teams to own. « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools