Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Writer Tom Jones: Rays are among the five worst teams to own. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#45 : June 01, 2012, 08:36:44 AM

If you're demanding that the Rays get a new stadium, logically the tax payers will end up paying for it.

Get it?

Sweep

Hall of Famer
#46 : June 01, 2012, 11:26:56 AM

Ken Hagan himself has already stated that a "Glazer/ RJS sweetheart deal" is out of the question.

First, Hills County needs to find out the Rays future intentions.  Then, a location and ball park  type will be decided on.  If my memory serves me correct,  Mr. Hagan also said he heard that land in the St. Fairgrounds location could even be donated.  That would go a long way in deciding location.

The Rays have also already made clear by their previous submission for a new ball park that they will pay for a big portion of it.

Therefore, I believe the wheels will start turning fast once the Rays and Hills. County can legally have some type of discussion.

Its going to look to some people like a different play every time we use it, but pretty soon theyll be able to recognize it....by watching the official for the first-down signal.   -Vincent T. Lombardi

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#47 : June 01, 2012, 01:04:41 PM

Sternberg will finance 1/3 of the cost.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#48 : June 01, 2012, 01:41:16 PM

If you're demanding that the Rays get a new stadium, logically the tax payers will end up paying for it.

Get it?

I demanded a new stadium?

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#49 : June 01, 2012, 01:42:00 PM

Sternberg will finance 1/3 of the cost.

link?

Brahmal

Second String
#50 : June 05, 2012, 12:38:09 AM

The number he was going to put towards building the aborted sail stadium in downtown St. Pete was around $150 mill.  That number is out there and not hard to find.  Depending on how many other private investors come in (and it sounds like a lot of them in Tampa are lining up) they should be able to privately finance at least half of a $600 mill stadium (my own estimate).  Sternberg isn't stupid, he knows that the tolerance for public financing with any new stadium is incredibly low right now, so he's going to have to make it work.

Channelside would work pretty well if they do some more upgrades to the Selmon, maybe with a short spur leading towards the stadium depending on where they put it.  Directly linking the Selmon to Gandy would make it simple for people in Pinellas to get there.  Urban baseball stadiums (as opposed to suburban stadiums like the trop) have been all the rage since Camden Yards was built and for good reason. 
: June 05, 2012, 12:59:09 AM Brahmal

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#51 : June 05, 2012, 07:38:28 AM

Private corp supoprt is one of the key problems facing the Rays out at the Trop. If Sternberg can fiannce a new stadium with minimal taxpayer support - great. I've read $150 mil  was about what Sternberg would add to the pot also. I think there would be an initial increase in season tickets and walk ups with a new stadium, but there's no guarantee that Tampa would do any better in the longterm to get people in the stands. RJS/Bucs games is proof of that.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#52 : June 05, 2012, 08:28:55 AM

RJS sold out for what 12 straight years?   Only dropped off when the owners stopped trying to field a winner.   Haven't heard too many hard facts concerning private financing, but that would help.  Sternberg threw out the $150 million number when proposing the Al Lang site.  I'm not sure if that offer is still out there.  Could be though.   Saw some interesting numbers comparing what Sternberg paid for the Rays to what franchises were going for at the time.   Sounded like he got quite the deal.

Selmon has a couple exits in close proximity to the Channelside area.  It also has an exit at Gandy Blvd now.   Maybe there is a way to get it closer to the bridge.
: June 05, 2012, 08:43:27 AM olafberserker

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#53 : June 05, 2012, 08:39:20 AM

Get it?

I demanded a new stadium?
M organ is wondering if you get it.  How entertaining.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#54 : June 05, 2012, 08:42:20 AM

Ironic isn't it?
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Writer Tom Jones: Rays are among the five worst teams to own. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools