Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: FSU to the Big 12? Pros and Cons. other questions. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5

Runole

Hall of Famer
: May 29, 2012, 12:21:18 PM

1. Why should or shouldn't FSU consider going to the Big 12/10?    Love to get the perspective from non FSU fans as well as FSU fans.

2.  Does anyone think Notre Dame will join the Big12/10?  If yes or no list reasons...

3.  Is the Big 12 still considered an unstable conference like the Big East since it has only 10 teams and no championship game?

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#1 : May 29, 2012, 03:46:36 PM

1. yes and no. yes because the ACC is a joke, the commisioner is awful and doesnt care about football along with a laundry list of other things. no because outside of texas and oklahoma, the rest of the conference isnt very good.

2. highly doubtful. more likely they join the ACC or Big10. most likely they stay independent

3. Big12 isnt near as unstable as the big east

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#2 : May 29, 2012, 04:04:24 PM

why join a "texas" conference?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Runole

Hall of Famer
#3 : May 29, 2012, 05:29:16 PM

1. yes and no. yes because the ACC is a joke, the commisioner is awful and doesnt care about football along with a laundry list of other things. no because outside of texas and oklahoma, the rest of the conference isnt very good.

2. highly doubtful. more likely they join the ACC or Big10. most likely they stay independent

3. Big12 isnt near as unstable as the big east

Agree, but I was referring to the fact that the Big 12 is only 10 teams and certainly losing Nebraska, Colorado, Texas A&M, and Missouri is worse than the Big East losing WV  Pitt and Syracuse.   Does anyone really know what the Big East will look like in 2013?   Are Boise St and San Diego St still considered new members?

Runole

Hall of Famer
#4 : May 29, 2012, 05:34:49 PM

why join a "texas" conference?

I have asked that same question..  I see little culturally in common with FSU joining.  If FSU was going to join any other conference the SEC should be the one to come calling.

Have any idea why the SEC is so against pursuing FSU?    They certainly would be a stronger team and national brand than either  A&M and Missouri.

I always have thought Miami and FSU would be great fits for the SEC and would make the nation spellbound when they played Florida every year. Stick A&M and Mizzo in the SEC west and put Miami and FSU with Florida in the East..  NOW THAT WOULD BE SOME FOOTBALL!!

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#5 : May 29, 2012, 06:26:40 PM

FSU doesn't add anything to the SEC

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#6 : May 29, 2012, 06:37:10 PM

while every CFB fan would love to see miami and fsu join the SEC, i dont believe it makes sense financially for the SEC, or so ive heard.  mizzou and a&m both bring huge TV markets, something i dont think fsu/miami do.  id love to see it, but dont think the $$$ makes sense.

dark uncle

Hall of Famer

#7 : May 29, 2012, 07:38:08 PM

1. always good to listen, then pull a North Korean move and rattle the sabres to get concessions from the ACC. since the SEC has no interest in FSU (has regressed - no longer a marquee team), and Big Least is beginning to look like a Motel 6 for teams on the way to another conference, what other choices does FSU have except to ride it out in the ACC and try to become dominant again (tallest midget jokes aside)? Increase your brand value and the SEC may come calling when they want to get to 16 teams.

2. I can't see Notre Dame doing anything different. Tradition is pretty important there.

3. Not unstable, just not the size they want to be. Give them 2 years when the teams start clamoring for a conference championship game, then they will add. Right now they will not go against prevailing opinion that everything is just fine the way it is.

On a related note, can we PLEASE do something about these conference names? Big 10, Big 12, Big East....Big mistake, particularly when you call yourselves the Big 12 and only have 10 teams.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#8 : May 29, 2012, 08:05:28 PM

while every CFB fan would love to see miami and fsu join the SEC, i dont believe it makes sense financially for the SEC, or so ive heard.  mizzou and a&m both bring huge TV markets, something i dont think fsu/miami do.  id love to see it, but dont think the $$$ makes sense.

I agree, they don't need FSU and they'll just be another mouth to feed so to speak

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#9 : May 29, 2012, 08:15:23 PM

FSU adds alot to the SEC. just not what the SEC is looking for. FSU brings a national brand and a huge number of tv sets. they bring a current blood rivalry with florida and great potential rivalry with georgie and history with auburn. FSU brings a huge ratings boost, especially over missouri and texas a&m. nobody wants to see alabama play missouri, they do want to see FSU play alabama or georgia or LSU or auburn.

unfortunately they SEC wants more tv markets. they have a team in Florida and so dont see a reason to add another. they really watered the conference down with Tamu and missouri but those two do add new markets.

reason number 2, and this is really reason number 1 but they wont admit it it, is that the other SEC schools want no part of FSU in the SEC because of recruiting. we already recruit extremely well and they dont want us to have their only advantage, SEC membership. the only thing a school like UF for example can boast over FSU is that they play in the SEC. thats the one advantage that FSU cant counter. a lot of kids nowadays want to play in the SEC because they percieve that their chances are better for getting to the NFL from the SEC. whether thats true or not, its just how it is.

no school will admit it, but there is a gentlemans agreement between UGA, UF, South Carolina and most likely bama to keep FSU, Clemson, and GT out of the sec. i cant blame them. theres no reason to help out your rivals by giving them more money and advantages. just sucks for us fans. FSU and Clemson both belong in the SEC so much its not even funny. its just too bad it will most likely never happen. were both SEC schools stuck in another conference

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#10 : May 29, 2012, 09:28:22 PM

FSU doesn't add any more TVs than missouri or Texas A & M and the SEC has plenty of blood rivalries already.

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#11 : May 29, 2012, 10:37:15 PM

not sure if serious

FSU is one of the premier draws in college football. love them or hate them people like to watch FSU. i hate UF and Miami but i also watch their games because they are rivals. i know tons of their fans that do the same just to see how their rival team does. alot of people grew up watching FSU dominate in the 90s and still like to watch them now, even if they arent anywhere near as good. certain schools are polarizing. michigan, ohio state, USC, FSU, Miami, Notre Dame are all some of the tops in viewership nationwide. Missouri.........not so much. A&M not so much. people in texas care about the longhorns much more than A&M.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#12 : May 29, 2012, 11:41:51 PM

fsu would certainly bring name recognition.  but not sure it would bring the tv deals of KC, STL, Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio.  but i really dont know, just guessing.  certainly believe a lot of your posts dex.

like i said, as a fan, id love it.  but as a business man, im not sure if fsu/miami/clemson would be huge gets.  and thats a very uninformed opinion.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#13 : May 30, 2012, 07:57:24 AM

Maybe this will help:

http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/19/the-geography-of-college-football-fans-and-realignment-chaos/

The S.E.C.s interest in Texas A&M becomes easier to understand once you recognize that the Aggies have among the largest fan bases in the country.

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#14 : May 30, 2012, 08:20:29 AM

I would love to know how they made those numbers up. that article is contrary to every other one ive read. virginia has more fans than FSU? hah. UF's numbers arent that low either. that article doesnt make any sense at all.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: FSU to the Big 12? Pros and Cons. other questions. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools