Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: FSU to the Big 12? Pros and Cons. other questions. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#30 : May 31, 2012, 08:32:47 PM

Of course your conclusions are far more scientific and accurate .....

Runole

Hall of Famer
#31 : June 01, 2012, 07:33:11 PM

Of course your conclusions are far more scientific and accurate .....

Yes I believe a stadium that has 78,000 fans a game seems to have greater fan interest than a stadium of fans that can't even fill a 50K stadium.

Perhaps you can explain how less 50,000 is much greater fan interest  than 78,000?

Also, I just go by Nielsen ratings need I post a link showing where FSU compares with those other ACC teams in terms of those TV ratings?

The guy that did the article had an interesting premise and if you want to say a greater majority of the population of some small Alabama town is interested % wise than some big Metro area that is your prerogative.  I still will take 20% of a metro area of 1 Million over some 40,000 city that has 30K with an interest in a game.

That is because 200,000 > 30,000.  even if 75% is certainly larger than 20%.

I keep forgetting you being a USF fan thinks because USF often leaves the upper deck of Ray Jay  empty this means that the majority of Tampa fans are  more interested in USF over UF and FSU?   Use some logic and common sense for a change.

: June 01, 2012, 07:35:54 PM Runole

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#32 : June 01, 2012, 10:55:05 PM

Hey  I'm not the guy accusing the SEC of making their decisions based on their fear of big, bad FSU.
: June 01, 2012, 11:26:53 PM olafberserker

dark uncle

Hall of Famer

#33 : June 02, 2012, 09:15:59 AM

Well, while including Miami and FSU into the South Eastern Conference makes emminent sense from a geographical and cultural standpoint, the new conference would be a murderer'r row where only one team could win. In that scenario, all the other conferences benefit.  The ACC just needs to improve their product on the field.

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#34 : June 02, 2012, 09:30:20 AM

unfortunately i dont think the ACC wants to improve on the field. with FSU and Miami being down who has stepped up? not a single team. Virginia tech has been consistently good but thats it and they cant win the big games to save their life. all the others just dont seem to care about football. clemson finally had a good year this year but NC state, Maryland, UNC, and BC have all been pretty bad. BC hasnt been good since Matt Ryan left and they actually have some football tradition. NC state hasnt been a contender since phillip rivers was there. UNC couldnt put it together even with all that NFL talent that they bought.

i dont hold any hope that the ACC even CAN step up. there are only a couple of teams that have what it takes to take the next step and become great and thats miami FSU and clemson. FSU is taking the right steps and moving in the right direction. Clemson appears to be doing so as well. MIami is hard to tell, i think they are trying to move the right way but are a few years out until Golden geets everyone to buy in. the rest of these teams are just collecting a paycheck

Runole

Hall of Famer
#35 : June 04, 2012, 07:56:49 AM

Hey  I'm not the guy accusing the SEC of making their decisions based on their fear of big, bad FSU.

Well the SEC certainly had the opportunity to offer FSU but instead has chosen Missouri South Carolina Arkansas and A&M. None of those teams have the national following or success over the last 40 years as those teams.  FSU or Miami draw fans..  Heck Florida dropped Miami because of fear of losses. They also refused to play an out of conference regular season game outside the state of Florida after they lost to Syracuse in 1991?  Sounds like fear of a loss to me!

Oh and nice deflection on the fan base reply.   There is good research and bad research.   The article you linked had some interesting premises and certainly had some value however the authors conclusions left much to be desired.   FSU ranks 7th in the ACC in fan popularity?   LOL!! What a joke!   Yes that is a really credible conclusion!! :'(
: June 04, 2012, 07:58:30 AM Runole

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#36 : June 04, 2012, 10:07:16 AM

No deflection.  The information is there for anyone to peruse.   You have it all figured out though ..... the SEC is scared of FSU.

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#37 : June 04, 2012, 10:22:51 AM

not scared, just dont want to add another high level competitor. they want to win the NC and dont want to make murderers row any harder than it already is

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#38 : June 04, 2012, 11:13:32 AM

I suppose they could be concerned with a team that has a sub .500 record against their conference and a winning record against only two of the teams in the conference.

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#39 : June 04, 2012, 03:47:46 PM

sub .500 and only a winning record against 2 schools? USF?

i know you arent talking FSU, at least not all time. im pretty sure we have a winning record against every team in our conference

just checked and we are 54-28 in conference over the last 10 years. only 1 season we were below 500 in conference games.
: June 04, 2012, 03:56:59 PM dexmonkey

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#40 : June 04, 2012, 04:45:22 PM

Keep tossing out USF jokes like your lame fellow alumnus.    ::)

Why would the SEC care what FSU's record is against the ACC when the SEC is scared to add big, bad FSU to THEIR conference?   ;)

Runole

Hall of Famer
#41 : June 04, 2012, 05:49:49 PM

No deflection.  The information is there for anyone to peruse.   You have it all figured out though ..... the SEC is scared of FSU.

Yes it was a deflection I pointed out the fallacy in the authors conclusion. You then made a silly remark discounting my disagreement with the authors conclusion.

Needless to say you offered no counterpoint to my conclusion.  Not surprising.

Florida did in fact drop Miami because they couldn't handle losing to both FSU and UM in any given year. They quit playing OC regular season games outside the state of Florida for the same reason after losing to Syracuse in 1991.

Additionally, the last time I looked FSU its most recent meeting against UF is 2 straight wins and against Bama was a win and against South Carolina was a win.
Add that to 2 additional bowl wins against Wisconsin and Notre Dame and I believe it could be said FSU is ascending back to its normal 90's Poll ratings.

Lets see FSU finished 9-4 with a bowl win over Notre Dame   Texas A&M finished with a 7-6 record avoiding a losing season with a bowl win over Northwestern

Meanwhile Missouri  finished 8-5 which certainly is better but quite a drop off from their 10-3 record in 2010. That third loss coming in a bowl game while only 2 of those losses last came in the regular season in 2010 so actually they had a 10-2 record going into the bowl game. That is a 3 game drop off. Dex is correct the SEC is not interested in putting Miami or FSU because their in conference schedules are tough enough already.  Has little to do with increased income or exposure by adding those (2) teams.

So what is the Big East going to be like in 2013?   Glad to see UCF is finally going to be back on the schedule.  Was embarrassing seeing USF avoid them. They are a natural rivalry and should never have been dropped.

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#42 : June 04, 2012, 06:18:23 PM

Why would the SEC care what FSU's record is against the ACC when the SEC is scared to add big, bad FSU to THEIR conference?   ;)

i wasnt tossing out USF jokes. you made a comment about our conference record that was completely wrong. .65% winning percent > .500. you threw those facts out so i responded in kind. you dont seem to like when others put facts out there. i really dont see why you are even getting pissy in this thread. FSU in the Big 12 or SEC doesnt affect your team or your life in any way.

i expect these kinds of responses from UF fans or Miami fans because we are rivals and rivals  pick at eachother. i dont get your hate toward FSU, at most you should have said that you didnt care and that FSU could rot and ended it there.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#43 : June 04, 2012, 07:12:46 PM

i wasnt tossing out USF jokes. you made a comment about our conference record that was completely wrong. .65% winning percent > .500. you threw those facts out so i responded in kind. you dont seem to like when others put facts out there. i really dont see why you are even getting pissy in this thread. FSU in the Big 12 or SEC doesnt affect your team or your life in any way.

i expect these kinds of responses from UF fans or Miami fans because we are rivals and rivals  pick at eachother. i dont get your hate toward FSU, at most you should have said that you didnt care and that FSU could rot and ended it there.

Olaf showing his true colors again.   This thread was only about why FSU should or shouldn't consider a move the the Big 12 or any other conference for that matter.

Clearly the recent ACC TV deal is outrageously bad when compared to the deal the Pac 12 just signed.  Even more damaging is that most of the Nation seldom views the Pac 12 games because many of them aren't shown until after 10 pm Saturday nights.

Clearly the ACC's membership needs to get some new competent leadership at the top. Swofford is definitely not earning the million or so he gets every year with that putrid deal that the membership hasn't even received a copy of the deal.  ALL 12 +14 members need to be clamoring for some serious changes in the way the ACC is being run for football.

Hard to believe they aren't screaming their displeasure from Top to bottom.

1 Gripe    Absolutely disgusting officiating HEADS NEED TO ROLL.  HECK HIRE NFL OFFICIALS!!   

2. Gripe   Divisions need to be restructured to maximize fan and rivalry interest.  GT should be playing FSU every year.   

I still believe Miami should be separate from FSU because of its long standing ties with those old Big East teams and by being that Division that gives every Northeastern team a Deep South Venue in Florida.  Clemson FSU and GT should all be in the same Division along with possibly UNC, WAKE, NC STATE
Possibly Pitt being the 7th team. That would seem to be fairly balanced and would give FSU a steady diet of compelling match ups with Miami and UF still on the slate.

3.  Gripe-  The new TV contract is completely undervalued in terms of TV markets and what is being paid by ESPN.  It needs to be renegotiated and/or those teams that bring in annually the higher ratings and revenue to the ACC need to be rewarded for it on the TV contract.  FSU is ranked 24th in athletic budget they shouldn't get the same cut as Wake does for football.

I do believe the members of the ACC will start working towards getting rid of the above problems.  New innovative leadership is definitely needed.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#44 : June 04, 2012, 07:59:58 PM

You're reading comprehension isn't very good.  I tried to bold it for you and asked why you think the SEC would be concerned with FSU's record against ACC opponents (those were both hints as to who "their" is and it isn't FSU.) Maybe you will get it eventually.

Now who is "pissy" again
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: FSU to the Big 12? Pros and Cons. other questions. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools