Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Is Schiano on the correct side of the heat argument? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

BucsFTW

Hall of Famer

#30 : May 30, 2012, 12:24:23 AM

Of course they're not Balla...  And I'd be willing to put numbers on which facets of the game matter the most, but...

I think the people that are saying "it's of no consequence" are darned near right.  I'd also say those who say "the heat matters" are definitely right, but the only reason we're talking about it is because it was brought up for the eleventy-billionth time.

Usings Balla's thnking, I'd have to rank the importance of "Game Day Heat" at around 2%, if we're going to be fair and accurate.

Heck, I'd go as far as to say overall "Team Condition" would be around 10%, relatively speaking of course.

What I was saying was...  It's not a huge factor.  But Schiano sees that 2% as important.  I'm cool with a coach that looks for even the smallest details to take advantage of.  I'm VERY cool with a coach that leaves no stone unturned.  Right, wrong, or otherwise.  Details folks, details...
: May 30, 2012, 12:32:05 AM BucsFTW

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#31 : May 30, 2012, 12:25:40 AM

It's not like he can't do anything about it though.  They could practice all week in the AC and be fresh for gameday.  I think just living in the area is enough to get use to the heat.  I would keep them fresh for gameday.

you think walking to your car is the same as running sprints outside?

For a well conditioned pro athlete?   Yes

BucsFTW

Hall of Famer

#32 : May 30, 2012, 12:27:31 AM

It's not like he can't do anything about it though.  They could practice all week in the AC and be fresh for gameday.  I think just living in the area is enough to get use to the heat.  I would keep them fresh for gameday.

Step     far     away     from     the     hookah...

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#33 : May 30, 2012, 12:30:10 AM

Step     far     away     from     the     hookah...

I don't partake.

My point is, they are well conditioned already.  What does sweating in the heat accomplish?  I say keep them fresh for Sunday.

BucsFTW

Hall of Famer

#34 : May 30, 2012, 12:43:12 AM

My point is, they are well conditioned already.  What does sweating in the heat accomplish?  I say keep them fresh for Sunday.

I DO see both sides of the arguement...  But I will say this, and it's from first-hand experience:  It's not being able to "survive" 4 hours of intense physical excersion in the sun, heat, and intolerable hell-like humidity.

It's KNOWING you can...  The process of training in Florida heat, IF done right, will produce FARLY superior athletes.

I feel so firmly in that, I can't empasize it enough.  To the point I won't even debate it.

But...  If the Bucs get into great shape...  actually run the ball extensively and succsessfully...  and our defense is able to get off the field quickly enough...

The heat WILL come into play.  Anyone who's followed this team for more than just a few years have seen many a player weeze for air with their hands on their hips before the end of the fourth quarter...

Unfortunately, as someone posted recently...  It's more frequently been "us" rather than "them".  I hope that schtuff ends.  Seriously.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#35 : May 30, 2012, 12:50:50 AM

I DO see both sides of the arguement...  But I will say this, and it's from first-hand experience:  It's not being able to "survive" 4 hours of intense physical excersion in the sun, heat, and intolerable hell-like humidity.

It's KNOWING you can...  The process of training in Florida heat, IF done right, will produce FARLY superior athletes.

I feel so firmly in that, I can't empasize it enough.  To the point I won't even debate it.

But...  If the Bucs get into great shape...  actually run the ball extensively and succsessfully...  and our defense is able to get off the field quickly enough...

The heat WILL come into play.  Anyone who's followed this team for more than just a few years have seen many a player weeze for air with their hands on their hips before the end of the fourth quarter...

Unfortunately, as someone posted recently...  It's more frequently been "us" rather than "them".  I hope that schtuff ends.  Seriously.

Good points, but I would say they already know they can do it.  A lot of them come from programs like Bama, LSU, Georgia, you get the idea.  They are no strangers to heat and humidity.

BucsFTW

Hall of Famer

#36 : May 30, 2012, 01:32:34 AM

Good points, but I would say they already know they can do it.  A lot of them come from programs like Bama, LSU, Georgia, you get the idea.  They are no strangers to heat and humidity.

No denying the SECs presence in the NFL...  Heck - I wish I knew how to quickly access those numbers, or which site might have those stats broken out.

Yeah, spending 2-3 years down here playing ball in the south will definitely give you a "taste of it", but then you go to summers in the north, or wherever it's friggin beautiful - as opposed to feeling like you're practicing on the Sun...

If you've spent any long period away from the south...  and you only make an "occassional" visit back here...  It's like getting hit in the face with a shovel...!

It's very similar... yet completely different due to the science involved, to going to Denver for a week.  Getting trim in Denver makes P90X look weak...

muvlodge

Pro Bowler
#37 : May 30, 2012, 03:08:27 AM

Being a season Tix holder for 15 yrs that sits on the Away side I can tell you that it's a huge advantage us playing in the heat and conditioning ourselves as best as possible for it.  Although Gruden had the AC trailer he definitely used the heat to his advantage.  I would always notice we would take it to teams in the hotter months.  Schiano pushing these guys in the heat will also have them cut down and lean up quicker like Penn needs to. I played in this heat and it was brutal but it makes a real man out of you and prepares you for about anything someone can throw your way.  If you can take that kind of adversity it makes other things seem like nothing when they happen. 

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#38 : May 30, 2012, 07:01:04 AM

Being a season Tix holder for 15 yrs that sits on the Away side I can tell you that it's a huge advantage us playing in the heat and conditioning ourselves as best as possible for it.  Although Gruden had the AC trailer he definitely used the heat to his advantage.  I would always notice we would take it to teams in the hotter months.  Schiano pushing these guys in the heat will also have them cut down and lean up quicker like Penn needs to. I played in this heat and it was brutal but it makes a real man out of you and prepares you for about anything someone can throw your way.  If you can take that kind of adversity it makes other things seem like nothing when they happen.
Since 1998, in day September home games the Bucs are 10-11.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#39 : May 30, 2012, 07:20:38 AM

do you work better on a monday?  and does your work suffer on fri?  or how about after a week vacation?

Absolutely. I come out swinging on Mon, Tues, Wed....after a weekend of relaxation, but I definetly start to wear down by Thursday and Friday is usually a day that very little manual work gets done. I usually save paperwork, design, and customer relations for Friday because I'm just exhausted by that point. I've been working outdoors for 16 years and this has never changed for me personally. I wear light clothes, shade hats, and drink two gallons of water every day....but I still always get worn out by the end of the week. The sun just drains you no matter who you you are. At least that is how I see it.

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

#40 : May 30, 2012, 07:38:48 AM

do you work better on a monday?  and does your work suffer on fri?  or how about after a week vacation?

Absolutely. I come out swinging on Mon, Tues, Wed....after a weekend of relaxation, but I definetly start to wear down by Thursday and Friday is usually a day that very little manual work gets done. I usually save paperwork, design, and customer relations for Friday because I'm just exhausted by that point. I've been working outdoors for 16 years and this has never changed for me personally. I wear light clothes, shade hats, and drink two gallons of water every day....but I still always get worn out by the end of the week. The sun just drains you no matter who you you are. At least that is how I see it.
No disrespect meant JD but you're comparing apples and  oranges.  Landscaping, construction or most any other outdoor work doesn't compare to the exertion NFL players subject themselves to.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#41 : May 30, 2012, 08:36:19 AM

lolz. Ok. I'll disagree. Most of these NFL players would be struggling big time if they had to be a roofer or landscaper for a week. I've played plenty of beach volleyball and beach football. I've done tough mudder. I understand the difference between playing a game in the sun and working in the sun...and I think you got it all wrong. Carrying 100lbs of lumber or shingles on your shoulder, digging holes or trenches, and climbing ladders for 8-10 hours a day is much harder in my opinion. These NFL guys play 50 snaps over a 3 hour game with many breaks in between. It's not even close.

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
#42 : May 30, 2012, 08:43:59 AM

I like Schiano's approach. Build some thick skin on these players with some tough love. Not much fun in the sun, play time is over.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#43 : May 30, 2012, 08:59:47 AM

so you figured out the best way to work and deal in the heat?  i believe that is what schiano will do as well.  if the team works hard in the beginning of the week, and then tapers down (which almost has to happen with the CBA i believe) then no reason the team couldnt come out "swinging" every gameday imo.  i believe its all in the routine, the set up.  and schiano isnt one to mess that part up.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Ladyfan

Hall of Famer

#44 : May 30, 2012, 09:01:59 AM

I spent time in New Dehli and Old Dehli during their summer months.  It was 130 degrees in the shade and I developed heat stroke.  Since then, I cannot allow my body to over heat or it may lead to a stroke. ( Really cuts down on my love of gardening and landscaping) . This can happen to anyone.  I was young and very healthy and in great shape physically doing yoga and gymnastics with Olympic trainers in NYC.  That may not be equal to the NFL type of athlete but I believe that once someone has "OD'd" in heat, their body will always be at risk.  So I believe that these athlete playing in the uniforms and padding in this heat no matter used to heat or not run a huge risk to their well being.  I do see the advantage of being acclimated but surely that varies with each body and its tolerances.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Is Schiano on the correct side of the heat argument? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools