Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Terry Cousin a "hidden" member of the Bucs staff... « previous next »
Page: 1

yungbull

Starter
« : May 31, 2012, 12:26:35 AM »

This definitely went under the radar.

Just finished calling into NFL radio with Gil Brandt and Alex Marvez.  I called to get Gil's perspective on Bostad and a few other assistant coaches hired from the college ranks.  He mentioned he loved the hire, plus Bostad is highly respected by his former players, and always seemed to have a great relationship with them as well.

Gil passed on mentioning any other assistant, other than a guy named Terry Cousin, former NFL cornerback and now Bucs assistant. Gil gave extremely high praise for this guy, for being an intelligent, extremely hard worker, dedicated to his craft, a person that spends hours on end in the film room and training room, but at the same time makes time for his family, especially his two daughters.    Gil wasn't sure Terry's role with the Bucs, but he apparently left a Director of Player Development position after two years of service for the Bucs gig.

The only connection I found was Schiano being Cousin's positional coach his first few years in the league.

That is great to hear, but it is news to me.  It just excites me even more to find out we made another hire that fits the mentality of the new regime.

yungbull

Starter
« #1 : May 31, 2012, 12:34:43 AM »

Here's some info I found on the hire, and the Game**CENSORED**s’ fans perspective on the hire….

Local News video from SC on his departure:

http://www.wltx.com/sports/article/186713/4/Cousin-Joins-The-Tampa-Bay-Buccaneers?odyssey=obinsite

Local news article from SC:

After two years as South Carolina’s director of player development, Terry Cousin has left the school to take a position with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

“Terry did a great job here,” athletics director Eric Hyman said. “I’m happy for him, but I’m sorry for the athletic department. I think Terry has been absolutely terrific all the way across the board. He’s really, really been great to work with.”

Cousin could not be reached for comment, and Hyman deferred to Cousin to reveal the exact nature of the new job.

South Carolina will hire a new player development director based on a profile established by Hyman, director of academics Raymond Harrison and senior associate athletics director Charles Waddell. Cousin had a 12-year NFL career as a defensive back, but Hyman doesn’t know if being a former pro will be a requirement for the new hire, he said.

“The concept (of the position is to) come in and help our student-athletes in various sports to be able to understand what it takes and be able to progress to be a professional athlete and to be used as a reference and a mentor and also to help student-athletes get career opportunities,” Hyman said.

http://www.game**CENSORED**fanatics.com/page/index.html/_/football/terry-cousins-leaves-usc-for-bucs-r52

Player interview of Cousin:

Post from SC message boards:
“Hate to see him go.  Good for him though.”

“I respect Terry. He gave my brother some valuable information about making it to the league and his chances of being a dominant SEC player. He tells it like it is too. Good luck T. Bucs got a good one.”

“Terry Cousins is a class act.  He did his job on the field, off the field, stayed out of trouble and deserves everything coming his way…”

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
« #2 : May 31, 2012, 12:48:56 AM »

They have also hired Bill Miller according to Footballscoop.com, interesting that they still are hiring even more coaches.

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

yungbull

Starter
« #3 : May 31, 2012, 01:00:21 AM »

It's hard to argue these guys didn't need a little extra guidance after last season.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

« #4 : May 31, 2012, 08:24:36 PM »

Interesting; I am curious if Eric Vance, who previously held Cousins' new position, is still somewhere on the Bucs staff.
  Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Terry Cousin a "hidden" member of the Bucs staff... « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools