Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BLACK GETTING A CHANCE TO SHINE, RUNNING 2ND TEAM FS « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 9

PewterReportMC

Hall of Famer
: June 04, 2012, 09:36:03 AM

Second-year Buccaneer Ahmad Black has made strides this offseason and is currently running second string behind veteran Ronde Barber. Not having an offseason last year due to the NFL lockout hurt, but Black is making the most of his opportunities this time around.

http://www.pewterreport.com/index.php?option=com_k2&Itemid=20&view=item&layout=item&id=7991

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#1 : June 04, 2012, 09:55:21 AM

Love Ahmad.

Barron, Black and Grimm would be a very nice 3 man rotation in my opinion. Asante will also make a move for a starting spot. Should be nice to see how it works out.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#2 : June 04, 2012, 09:58:03 AM

I hope he does well.
: June 04, 2012, 11:37:09 AM Rusty

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#3 : June 04, 2012, 01:25:48 PM

Now that FS and SS are very different positions with Schiano's defense, he has a better chance to shine, IMO. He was a ball-hawk at UF, and FS seems his natural position. NOT a SS at all. Small but smart, just like Ronde!
I LIKE our safety situation this year, with Barron & Grimm as our SS's; it all makes sense!

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#4 : June 04, 2012, 01:36:45 PM

Even as a huge Gator fan I didn't have much hope that Black could make it in the NFL as anything but STs.  Hope he proves me wrong, though.

Knucknbuc

Pro Bowler

#5 : June 04, 2012, 01:46:43 PM

I think black is gonna be a pretty good player in this league. I have nothing really to base this off of but I think him and Barron are our FS's and SS's for years to come. This is a big year for black. If he plays well hell carve a nitch out for himself in the league if not, well he probably won't be in the league because of his measurables.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#6 : June 04, 2012, 07:02:28 PM

I really like Ahmad Black. I think Lavonte David, Adrian Clayborn, and Ahmad Black could end up being long time staples in our defense. Not that other guys can't/won't be, but I really like Clayborn, David, and Black.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#7 : June 05, 2012, 10:46:19 AM

Don't see him being a budding star but a damn good role player in the mold of Dwight Smith. I think Barron, David, and McCoy will be the trio that OC will be looking to avoid. But a guy like Black should thrive in a system where he isn't a featured player.

Tampa-Two

Hall of Famer

#8 : June 05, 2012, 11:03:05 AM

I like Ahmad Black but Im not so sure he can make it past special teams in the NFL. I hope Im wrong because he was a ballhawk in college. Would be awesome if he could be one in the NFL.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#9 : June 05, 2012, 11:23:46 AM

I wish Ahmad Black well, but chances are if he's playing serious snaps it's because we suck at FS and not because he's good compared to the rest of the NFL.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#10 : June 05, 2012, 01:33:58 PM

Why do we act like Black was some scrub? He was a good player in college and would have went higher had he have better triangle numbers. He will make some noise on the field.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#11 : June 05, 2012, 01:39:12 PM

In the day of the combine being broadcast like it's and end all to talent evaluation we severely overhype big and strong players and leave smart, instinctual players like Cody Grimm and Ahmad Black to the late rounds or undrafted. There is a reason Tom Brady went in the 6th round and Peyton Manning and Mike Vick in the first round. Look at the pictures of them!

The idea has shifted to take athletes and teach them how to play football. I say the opposite. Take football players and help them be better athletes. I think Ahmad will do well this year.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

beardmcdoug

Pro Bowler

#12 : June 05, 2012, 01:42:43 PM

yeah, with us switching to a defense where the safeties have their own, defined role; playing next to our "better-in-the-box" hard hitting SS, I could see Black's ballhawking play-style flourishing

Tampa-Two

Hall of Famer

#13 : June 05, 2012, 01:45:50 PM

In the day of the combine being broadcast like it's and end all to talent evaluation we severely overhype big and strong players and leave smart, instinctual players like Cody Grimm and Ahmad Black to the late rounds or undrafted. There is a reason Tom Brady went in the 6th round and Peyton Manning and Mike Vick in the first round. Look at the pictures of them!

The idea has shifted to take athletes and teach them how to play football. I say the opposite. Take football players and help them be better athletes. I think Ahmad will do well this year.
It's not the athleticism, or lack there of, that I am worried about. It's the size.

And not just the weight but the height. Bob Sanders could play safety in the NFL but he was 20 lbs heavier and much faster. If Black gained 20 lbs I doubt he would be fast enough for even special teams.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#14 : June 05, 2012, 01:52:52 PM

It's not the athleticism, or lack there of, that I am worried about. It's the size.

And not just the weight but the height. Bob Sanders could play safety in the NFL but he was 20 lbs heavier and much faster. If Black gained 20 lbs I doubt he would be fast enough for even special teams.
I seriously doubt weight has anything to do with coverage ability. But that's just me.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BLACK GETTING A CHANCE TO SHINE, RUNNING 2ND TEAM FS « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools