Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BLACK GETTING A CHANCE TO SHINE, RUNNING 2ND TEAM FS « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#30 : June 05, 2012, 04:16:31 PM

Ahmad Black - 5'10" 190lbs

I just don't see it being a big deal. He's young. He can add 10lbs of muscle and be prototypical size.

Unfortunately he can't add the speed to go with it

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#31 : June 05, 2012, 04:23:08 PM

Ronde has been playing a linebacker/safety type role for a few years now. If he has concerns about playing safety, it's probably due to age not size.

Ed Reed - 5'10" 200lbs

Troy Polamalu - 5'10" 206lbs

Antoine Bethea - 5'11" 202lbs

Ahmad Black - 5'10" 190lbs

I just don't see it being a big deal. He's young. He can add 10lbs of muscle and be prototypical size.
Which of them ran a 4.7 at 184 lbs?

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#32 : June 05, 2012, 04:36:13 PM

Yeah...cause 40 times are what make great football players....right? Anyone who has ever watched the kid play football knows he is not that slow.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#33 : June 05, 2012, 04:39:06 PM

No potential here at all. Too small. Too slow. Can't play.

Naismith

Hall of Famer
#34 : June 05, 2012, 04:39:35 PM

Yeah...cause 40 times are what make great football players....right? Anyone who has ever watched the kid play football knows he is not that slow.

I don't think anyone is saying that he can't make it, just that there are a series of marks that, individually, make it less likely and when combined, make him a long shot.

Certainly, if he ran a 4.4 40 and was the playmaker he was in college, he wouldn't have been a fifth round pick.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#35 : June 05, 2012, 04:44:18 PM

This thread is exactly what I'm talking about. But Black only ran a 4.7 in the 40! Let's pretend the 40 is a good way to measure game speed, it is not but for the sake of argument. This takes not into account his ability to read a play, diagnose a pass pattern, anticipate the throw, take the right angle and run fast while looking at the football.

Do you see how many things go into  his ability to run "fast enough" to be a NFL safety. Taylor Mays anyone? People who know and REALLY understand the game of football, or any sport for that matter, have a huge and I mean huge advantage over those who don't. I'll take the 4.7 Black all day over a guy like Taylor Mays who had a 1st round wasted on him because a coach thought he could teach him how to play football.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#36 : June 05, 2012, 04:53:43 PM

The best football players are big, strong, fast, and have great instincts. Every one of those traits you take away, the lower the ceiling that player has.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#37 : June 05, 2012, 04:53:44 PM

lol.

In all seriousness...he has way more upside than the message board-darling (Cody Grimm) has...

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#38 : June 05, 2012, 04:55:36 PM

In all seriousness...he has way more upside than the message board-darling (Cody Grimm) has...
Why would you say that? Grimm is bigger, faster, and has great instincts in his own right.

Tampa-Two

Hall of Famer

#39 : June 05, 2012, 05:04:18 PM

You cant rate a player based on 40 times, thats correct. Just like you can't rate players based on youtube videos, see Burfict and Chad Spann.

But it is a red flag that he lacks top end speed. Just go to 2 minutes into the video. He is at the 40 yard line with nothing but georgia offensive lineman and qb yet the guy who made the video cuts it.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#40 : June 05, 2012, 05:07:28 PM

Do you see how many things go into  his ability to run "fast enough" to be a NFL safety. Taylor Mays anyone? People who know and REALLY understand the game of football, or any sport for that matter, have a huge and I mean huge advantage over those who don't. I'll take the 4.7 Black all day over a guy like Taylor Mays who had a 1st round wasted on him because a coach thought he could teach him how to play football.
This is the problem with this fan base. It's been so long since we actually had good players we've forgotten what they even look like. The good teams don't choose between one player who is big and fast but has poor instincts and another player who has good instincts but is small and slow. They go out and find players who are big, fast, and have good instincts. Those are the players you win with.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#41 : June 05, 2012, 05:18:10 PM

Why would you say that? Grimm is bigger, faster, and has great instincts in his own right.

Meh..Grimm isn't any more athletic than Black is. Yes, maybe "way more upside" was a bit of a stretch...but so is saying that Grimm has "great instincts". Grimm is decent. He has made a good conversion from LB to S. I just think that Black might be more of a natural DB. Admittedly, it's pure specualtion until Black actually gets on the field at the NFL level and shows it.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#42 : June 05, 2012, 05:25:22 PM

This is the problem with this fan base. It's been so long since we actually had good players we've forgotten what they even look like. The good teams don't choose between one player who is big and fast but has poor instincts and another player who has good instincts but is small and slow. They go out and find players who are big, fast, and have good instincts. Those are the players you win with.

You talk as if you have the formula to find these players...if you did...you would be a GM. There is a reason half of nearly every teams draft picks dont pan out...because its nearly impossible to tell who will do what at the NFL level...no matter what their 40/shuttle times, bench presses, etc, have to say.

"players who are big, fast, and have good instincts"

How many of ^those^ players are available every draft?

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#43 : June 05, 2012, 05:29:07 PM

I think we'll see a lot of "Big Nickel" so I'm excited to see Barron, Grimm, and Black on the field at the same time. Plus there's still Barber. Then there are Asante and Holland. I hear that safety is still a weak spot quite a bit, but I'd have to say it is one of our deepest positions. I'm excited about all of these guys.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#44 : June 05, 2012, 06:16:45 PM

You talk as if you have the formula to find these players...if you did...you would be a GM. There is a reason half of nearly every teams draft picks dont pan out...because its nearly impossible to tell who will do what at the NFL level...no matter what their 40/shuttle times, bench presses, etc, have to say.

"players who are big, fast, and have good instincts"

How many of ^those^ players are available every draft?
No one says it's easy. The teams that find those players win. The teams that don't find those players get top 10 picks in the draft and fire coaches every other year like the Bucs.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BLACK GETTING A CHANCE TO SHINE, RUNNING 2ND TEAM FS « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools