Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: David replaces Curran at WLB « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#60 : June 07, 2012, 03:41:14 PM

I don't think that traditionally matters after a change of regime, though I certainly have been wrong before. Besides, Michael Clayton and Derrick Ward got big deals and were released, so I don't feel like the Buc philosophy is to force a guy into the lineup due to salary.

I'll give Black the benefit of the doubt, maybe his poor performance is due to bad coaching and a lousy scheme. This year he will either be productive or departed. This is his last chance with the Bucs, I hope they can coach him up.

Naismith

Hall of Famer

#61 : June 07, 2012, 03:44:23 PM

I'll give Black the benefit of the doubt, maybe his poor performance is due to bad coaching and a lousy scheme. This year he will either be productive or departed. This is his last chance with the Bucs, I hope they can coach him up.

Yeah, this is totally where I'm at. I just find it fascinating that he seems to have the starting job locked down. I always am interested in the disparity between fan opinion and the team's opinion on players. I don't care if Black does well, beyond wanting all Buc players to do well. I'm just really interested in seeing how it goes.

As for the contract situation, I'll go back to Derrick Ward. After being brought in as a free agent, he didn't win the starting job.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#62 : June 07, 2012, 03:49:28 PM

i think q black will most certainly be on the roster, and be given every opportunity to start due to his  contract.  but with a new coach in place, i dont think it matters is his guaranteed money is starting or backing up.  as mentioned, dominik has shown he isnt afraid to fix his mistakes.

i do think he will be a serviceable player this year for us.  he is a role player imo whom morris thought could be a star.  his contract will always be an albatross.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#63 : June 07, 2012, 03:56:32 PM

I don't believe Derrick Ward was brought in to be the "starter". He was never a true starter with the Giants. I always thought of him as a well-compensated rotational player.

Regarding Quincy Black, he wasn't horrible in 2009 and 2010 when all they asked him to do was be Ryan Nece. The problem was in 2011 they asked him to be Von Miller, and that didn't work out so well. If the coaches scale things back for him and only ask him to be Ryan Nece, I'm sure he'll be fine. We'll just be paying Ryan Nece $6 million.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#64 : June 07, 2012, 03:57:18 PM

Yeah, this is totally where I'm at. I just find it fascinating that he seems to have the starting job locked down. I always am interested in the disparity between fan opinion and the team's opinion on players. I don't care if Black does well, beyond wanting all Buc players to do well. I'm just really interested in seeing how it goes.

As for the contract situation, I'll go back to Derrick Ward. After being brought in as a free agent, he didn't win the starting job.

Schiano has said no roster spots are locked up in June. Pads, TC, and preseason games will determine who gets the nod. Adjustments will be made all through the season, as needed.

Naismith

Hall of Famer

#65 : June 07, 2012, 04:00:46 PM

Yeah, I definitely think they envisioned Black rising above solid contributor to something more dynamic. That doesn't really matter now, aside from an ability to keep him beyond this season if he is effective in whatever role he will be. He's obviously not going to return making near the money he's making currently, unless he somehow becomes the dynamic playmaker they hoped he'd be when they gave him all the money. If I had to guess, I'd say this is his last season as a Buccaneer regardless of production because if he has a bad year, they cut ties and if he has a good year, well, it's hard to pay a guy less than he was making after a good season.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#66 : June 07, 2012, 06:17:23 PM

I don't think that traditionally matters after a change of regime, though I certainly have been wrong before. Besides, Michael Clayton and Derrick Ward got big deals and were released, so I don't feel like the Buc philosophy is to force a guy into the lineup due to salary.

Mark Dominik signed him, he's still here and Black will start.

I disagree. I don't see Dom telling Schiano who will start. If Black doesn't truly earn a starting spot, Schiano won't start him. I think he'd look Dom straight in the eyes and tell him no. 

Black's $5M salary is guaranteed though, so we have to pay him whether he is cut or not....so even if he is 2nd string, he'll almost certainly going to be on the final 53.

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#67 : June 07, 2012, 06:24:53 PM

Mark Dominik signed him, he's still here and Black will start.

I disagree. I don't see Dom telling Schiano who will start. If Black doesn't truly earn a starting spot, Schiano won't start him. I think he'd look Dom straight in the eyes and tell him no. 

Black's $5M salary is guaranteed though, so we have to pay him whether he is cut or not....so even if he is 2nd string, he'll almost certainly going to be on the final 53.

Black would have to play as poorly as he did last year not to start. He may be eventually moved out of the role if he does play poorly but I think he'll be given every opportunity to earn his $5 mil as the Bucs can possibly give him.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

Naismith

Hall of Famer

#68 : June 07, 2012, 07:15:21 PM

I really don't think the salary matters as much as you do. Derrick Ward was on the books for 3.25 million when he was released. Michael Clayton was guaranteed 3 million when he was released. I believe that was the same offseason, both guys were getting paid a good amount in the second year of a deal and the team just released them. I don't see why this is different.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#69 : June 08, 2012, 11:32:28 AM

Regarding Quincy Black, he wasn't horrible in 2009 and 2010 when all they asked him to do was be Ryan Nece. The problem was in 2011 they asked him to be Von Miller, and that didn't work out so well. If the coaches scale things back for him and only ask him to be Ryan Nece, I'm sure he'll be fine. We'll just be paying Ryan Nece $6 million.

Although I think this will be a very unpopular opinion, you do make a decent point. He wasn't terrible in '09 and '10. In fact by some statistical measures he was one of the better 4-3 OLBs in the league in 2010.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: David replaces Curran at WLB « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools